Rihannsu
# 51
02-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thutmosis85 View Post
They did ... one year ago ... 2800 Return Wallpaper ... pretty much the same ...

Wouldn't be the first time ... except this time they didn't even promise anything ... it's just a Wallpaper ... there is absolutly NO word on Romulan Faction ...
People are just assuming it's a Romulan faction. It could just be a bunch of STFs or missions where you're put in command of a Romulan vessel or part of one much like Riker was on a Klingon ship in one episode of TNG.

We'll known in a couple months, either one group or the other will be proven 'right' and then the fallout will begin. Since there will be fallout either way.
Career Officer
# 52
02-03-2013, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captsol View Post
Except there is no longer any 'Season 8' what probably happened is PWE told them to take whatever they were doing for what was supposed to be 'Season 8 and Season 9' and combine them into some giant 'Expansion' like Dstahl is saying and release it at once and then go back to seasons. Why? Probably because of all the complaints about there not being any new content on the forums.
Due to the forums? No.

But due to Neverwinter's planned release? Maybe.

I can see where the rationale might be to stir up talk about Cryptic/PWE in a positive way before Neverwinter launches.

They don't want people going into NW saying, "Look at how Cryptic manages their games! Unfinished features years later! Lack of polish in the UI!"

So they throw gobs of resources at STO to revamp the game.

Hence UI/character creation/species/faction overhauls.

Additionally, I'd bet the EVEN BIGGER motive of that decision is to try to make STO converts out of new NW players.

So they have to clean up the house for the new arrivals.

And I think that is where some of the Klingon stuff may be controversial. Because I think the changes made will be designed to make new players excited about playing Klingons or Romulans, not necessarily what the old people want.

And I'll predict that the changes will benefit KDF population numbers and satisfaction level but that it may also prompt existing KDF players to quit and post a lot of "This is the last straw!" threads. Because I sincerely believe they'll finish the KDF but it won't be what was discussed or offered two years ago and that anyone clinging on to that can expect to have a seizure.

Which is why I think Cryptic needs to start breaking some of the news. You don't announce to your kid that he's getting a little brother instead of the bike he wanted at Thanksgiving Dinner in front of everyone else.
Rihannsu
# 53
02-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post

And I think that is where some of the Klingon stuff may be controversial. Because I think the changes made will be designed to make new players excited about playing Klingons or Romulans, not necessarily what the old people want.

And I'll predict that the changes will benefit KDF population numbers and satisfaction level but that it may also prompt existing KDF players to quit and post a lot of "This is the last straw!" threads. Because I sincerely believe they'll finish the KDF but it won't be what was discussed or offered two years ago and that anyone clinging on to that can expect to have a seizure.
That's certainly possible. Didn't they say at one point it'd take a couple years of work to get the Klingons even on par with where the Federation was at opening? Unless there's been mind-boggling amounts of work done in the background on them in addition to whatever is going into this Romulan thing, whatever it might be, I doubt they're going to have them up to snuff in two months.

I'm not sure what other changes they could make, though, aside from some kind of pointless 'filler' like New Romulus to fill in the gaps with grind missions instead of actual story content. Which, as you mentioned, isn't what most Klingon players would want.
Career Officer
# 54
02-03-2013, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Due to the forums? No.

But due to Neverwinter's planned release? Maybe.

I can see where the rationale might be to stir up talk about Cryptic/PWE in a positive way before Neverwinter launches.

They don't want people going into NW saying, "Look at how Cryptic manages their games! Unfinished features years later! Lack of polish in the UI!"

So they throw gobs of resources at STO to revamp the game.

Hence UI/character creation/species/faction overhauls.

Additionally, I'd bet the EVEN BIGGER motive of that decision is to try to make STO converts out of new NW players.

So they have to clean up the house for the new arrivals.

Which is why I think Cryptic needs to start breaking some of the news. You don't announce to your kid that he's getting a little brother instead of the bike he wanted at Thanksgiving Dinner in front of everyone else.
More interesting speculation, and it is a possibility. I suspect we won't get any significant information this month on what's going on though.
Career Officer
# 55
02-03-2013, 02:29 PM
Quote:
We'll known in a couple months, either one group or the other will be proven 'right' and then the fallout will begin. Since there will be fallout either way.
Just hard to imagine Cryptic is gonna pull some hidden, unannounced Content out of their Magic Hat ... just remembering what they told us about Season 4 ... 90% of what Season 4 was supposed to be was released in Season 5 ... just like Season 7 was supposed to be big on Story Content and the Return of Sela ...

There won't be a fallout either way, though ... because if they're gonna release Content beyond what to be expected ... for the first time ... i'm probaly gonna build a Cryptic Shrine ... just don't wanna be disappointed for the 8th time ...

Last edited by thutmosis85; 02-03-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Career Officer
# 56
02-03-2013, 02:35 PM
Quote:
That's certainly possible. Didn't they say at one point it'd take a couple years of work to get the Klingons even on par with where the Federation was at opening? Unless there's been mind-boggling amounts of work done in the background on them in addition to whatever is going into this Romulan thing, whatever it might be, I doubt they're going to have them up to snuff in two months.

I'm not sure what other changes they could make, though, aside from some kind of pointless 'filler' like New Romulus to fill in the gaps with grind missions instead of actual story content. Which, as you mentioned, isn't what most Klingon players would want.
Two solutions:

Faction Merge.

OR

All content is made faction agnostic. All missions are reassigned to be given by third parties. The nature of a faction is redefined more narrowly as "What ships you can fly, what costumes you can wear, and what thematic bonus dialogue options you get."

So... Rip Starfleet out of the existing missions or rip Klingons out of being their own faction.

I don't see a faction merger as the more profitable route. But I DO think removing most references to Starfleet in the existing content and doing up a Klingon tutorial while giving KDF access to current missions is viable. And the option that will allow for more factions.

IF... You define a faction as having 5 or so unique missions (and access to all the fronts, tweaked to no longer refer to your faction or be assigned as "orders"), unique ships, unique costumes, and some occasional thematic dialogue choices. Factions as a "species plus" approach.

It won't fill ravenous hunger for distinct content but it will fill the rosters of factions.
Lieutenant
# 57
02-03-2013, 02:36 PM
In response to several questions here, we (our fleet) interviwed Branflakes about Season 8 and Fleet Involvement, and got some interesting answer's along with the usual we cant go into deep deatils...

Full interview + Forum link Here:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...=access+denied
Tieberion, Captain of the USS Excaliber NX-97000-B

www.AccessDenied-STO.com
Career Officer
# 58
02-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Couldn't they introduce the Romulans AND add to the KDF at the same time?

What I mean is this,

What if they introduced the third faction, the tal Shiar, then start a story arc involving a new conflict between the "bad" Romulans and the KDF ? Throw in a few missions the Feds can share and you'd have a HUGE expansion (paid ?) on the game.

Kill several birds with one stone, content for the KDF to help round them out, content for the new playable Romulans mini faction expansion, (pay to play a Romulan ?).

I just have a feeling that doubling their staff as they said they have, will bring us some big surprises.

Dstahl did say that may's update was "Too big to be called a season" He mentioned this the other day during the Q&A session on tribble.

He's also said that the now defunct season 8 would be all about stories and would advance the game's overall story.

TBH, we've NEVER seen Cryptic as staffed up as they are at the moment. If there were a time to over deliver, now would be it.

I just have a feeling they are going to blow our minds come this May.
STO was my secret fun little addiction. I'd spend A LOT of free time and disposable income on it. Have you noticed the change recently? You've got my data, see for yourself. I'll even take a few minutes of my time to explain. All you have to do is ask Cryptic.
Rihannsu
# 59
02-03-2013, 03:07 PM
1 - Faction "merge" is not going to happen . What would they do with all the Fleets, Starbases and so on???

2 - your previously proposed faction irrelevant content transformation is very probable.

3 - i have very mixed feelings when i hear DStahl talking about "putting factions in the right place" and such..

My personal bet would be - a faction has:
- own HQ and academy
- own tutorial and some 3 introduction missions (1FE)
- own ships and races
- own costumes (perhaps they will finally free some fed costumes for all factions)
- Fleets and holdings
- DOFF's and DOFF assignments
- Fleet Marks events only allow grouping with the own faction

what the factions will share:
- lvling and daily missions
- foundry missions
- reputations
- all of the PVE and PVP endgame content with the possibility of cross-faction teaming
- all new FE's which are to come will be shared too

This does one thing - it gives BOTH existing factions a big amount of content to play through and creates a very nice amount of playable content for every new faction to come.

i also think they will introduce a "switch faction" token some time after the new faction comes. it will be very expensive as it will involve retrait and race change. You will not loose any reputation and stuff as these things will be shared, along with the accolades.

My next bet is they will cut timers on Fleet projects to 1/2 or less for the new faction, so that people have the chance to be competitive. The prize and amounts of materials will stay as is. This will bring them massive amounts of hard earned cash.

Join the premiere Romulan community now!

Last edited by duaths1; 02-03-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Career Officer
# 60
02-03-2013, 03:08 PM
It's tricky to judge all this at this point. Past statements certainly suggest against a Romulan faction, but something is different about how they're acting since the teaser.

The next Ask Cryptic will be critical in unraveling this mystery. Phrase your questions wisely when it comes.