Starfleet Veteran
# 11
02-01-2013, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
Actually, the original idea for last year was to do Montana. I had started whiteboxing a little by time we decided we didn't have anything cool to put in there missionwise, without doing some crazy time travelly nonsense. So it got shifted to Utopia Planitia.

I still think it would be fun to make that map, but I don't know what the plan is for this year.
Including the Cochrane statue, reaching up to the stars?

Taco, IMHO you should do a Holodeck Episode than doing another Time Travel mission, because Time Travel in STO has really becoming overused.

With a Holodeck Recreation, you wouldn't need to have Picard and the crew of the Enterprise-E present. And you are free to do anything. Maybe have you (the player) play the role of Cochrane (which saves you needing to model James Cromwell) and playing the role leading up to First Contact itself. (Of course history would omit things like his drinking and colorful langauge. )

Another possibility is simply having it as a social area, where players could relax and have unique things that can only be done there. Maybe a museum full of history of Cochrane from his creating the Phoenix up to his leaving Earth? Or Skiing in STO, there is sking available in the real Bozeman, Montana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commadorebob View Post
In this case, why bother allowing the KDF to play it? Why not set it up as a "reenactment" you participate in. On the KDF side, how about Cryptic actually come up with the history of Klingon warp travel.
Since Klingons aren't very science oriented, I always took them to be similar to the Kazon in being slaves and suddenly having control of the technology. And the masters were the Feklhri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartzilla View Post
Why would the Klingons need to be considered for First Contact Day its a Federation holiday, can't they just give the Klingons some kind of Day of Honor event thing instead, it would maker more sense then celebrating a holiday of their mortal enemies.

Day of Honor fits.

In Marc Okrand's Klingon Audio Tapes, there are the Qi'lop and Empire Union Day as well. I could see Cryptic mixing it up having Federation players celebrate First Contact Day, while the Empire celebrates Imperial Union Day. And later in the year we got Federation Day, and Klingons could celebrate the defeat of the Fek'hlri (not the STO Fek'lhri) or Kahless defeating Molor.

So it would be polar opposites of each other. One Celebrates their Faction's founding, while the other celebrates a defining day of their faction.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Coming!

Last edited by azurianstar; 02-01-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Career Officer
# 12
02-01-2013, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Actually, the original idea for last year was to do Montana. I had started whiteboxing a little by time we decided we didn't have anything cool to put in there missionwise, without doing some crazy time travelly nonsense. So it got shifted to Utopia Planitia.

I still think it would be fun to make that map, but I don't know what the plan is for this year.
BTW... I agree the time travel-y stuff can get excessive so I'll offer a secondary pitch:

When Zefram Cochrane popped up on TOS, The Companion gave up its immortality to find twue wuv with Cochrane, grow old, and die together.

So... What if more members of the Companion's species turned up and were curious what exactly about Cochrane convinced a member of their species to give up immortality?

So they show up and make "First Contact" with us and we give them a tour (virtual or otherwise) of Bozeman, Montana. For a little bit of combat spice, maybe the Iconians have convinced the Gamma Canaris cloud people that Cochrane killed the Companion and we have to fend them off while telling them the true story of how a member of their species fell in love and died.

And... a third pitch:

Zefram Cochrane is back! But is he the real deal? We have to investigate the background of Cochrane and test this mysterious new arrival to make sure he isn't a changeling or an Undine.

And, heck, pitch #4:

The books have Scotty living until at least 2422 to see a building dedicated to him. We celebrate First Contact Day visiting Scotty in a holoprogram of Bozeman, Montana, surrounded by holograms of great engineers, including Cochrane. It's nerve tonics for all! But ONE of the holograms is sentient and has teamed up with a photonic rights activist to sabotage the simulation unless we can figure out who it is and stop them and save Scotty's bonnie-kins.

The great part is that you can have a callback to Night of the Comet where Scotty remembers us.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 13
02-01-2013, 07:29 PM
If I had my druthers in making Montana, it would be current day (2409) Montana, built up, with a big plaza surrounding Cochrane's statue, with something to do there.

Though I'd also like to build what we saw in the movie (I have a folder full of reference, and a map I drew of the compound), so maybe that's in a holodeck they have on site in the "museum" or something.
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-01-2013, 07:31 PM
I like the idea of Montana. What I would love to see would be some Limited Doff pack. A Zepherine Chochrane (small boost to warp speed in sector space), a Henry Archer a +5 to engine power, and 3 vulcan "explorers" where each one is a 1% boost to sensor powers. There could be a klingon equivilant.
In general I'd love to see more limited edition doffs. They can be Holographic re-creations of historical characters both from history and from trek lore.
Starfleet Veteran
# 15
02-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Quote:
If I had my druthers in making Montana, it would be current day (2409) Montana, built up, with a big plaza surrounding Cochrane's statue, with something to do there.

Though I'd also like to build what we saw in the movie (I have a folder full of reference, and a map I drew of the compound), so maybe that's in a holodeck they have on site in the "museum" or something.
In First Contact, when Geordie described the historical site, I got the impression they preserved the site, along with the surrounding woodlands. So can't imagine there being a huge plaza.

The Phoenix launch site, would definitely be preserved and converted to a museum. And I could also imagine the bar also being preserved. If there was a name to that bar in the movie, be great if that could be brought out and a classic neon sign being displayed. Last, but not least, the Landing site for the Vulcan ship (a reproduction of the ship being put there?)

BTW, since it's an old Titan launch site, there is some material online (like videos on Youtube) you can use to make a convincing reproduction of the Phoenix site.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Coming!
Cryptic Studios Team
# 16
02-01-2013, 09:49 PM
It's been a while since I watched First Contact, but that was not exactly the impression I got. From the Statue commentary, it sounded like the area was built up. I agree the silo would have been preserved, and presented as a museum. I doubt most of the structures in the area would have lasted 400 years, and I don't think the bar, etc. was preserved. There was no name to the bar as far as I could tell. I agree the landing spot would have been marked. Dunno about a dummy ship, seems a little cheesy for the feds. Maybe a decommissioned old ship, donated by the Vulcans?

I don't think we'd do it, but I kind of like the idea of details being lost/changed over the corresponding 400 years (obviously, the enterprise crew could correct a lot) but I always wonder when I go to a "historic site" how much is wrong/tweaked etc. (i.e. the preservation of the image of Cochrane as a classic humanitarian, not a money grubbing drunk.)
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Captain
# 17
02-01-2013, 09:59 PM
Quote:
It's been a while since I watched First Contact, but that was not exactly the impression I got. From the Statue commentary, it sounded like the area was built up. I agree the silo would have been preserved, and presented as a museum. I doubt most of the structures in the area would have lasted 400 years, and I don't think the bar, etc. was preserved. There was no name to the bar as far as I could tell. I agree the landing spot would have been marked. Dunno about a dummy ship, seems a little cheesy for the feds. Maybe a decommissioned old ship, donated by the Vulcans?

I don't think we'd do it, but I kind of like the idea of details being lost/changed over the corresponding 400 years (obviously, the enterprise crew could correct a lot) but I always wonder when I go to a "historic site" how much is wrong/tweaked etc. (i.e. the preservation of the image of Cochrane as a classic humanitarian, not a money grubbing drunk.)
I agree. I think a unique way to compromise would be to have the area built up with museums and everything all around, but to have the Silo preserved, the Vulcan landing spot marked, and have a modern shiny bar that just so happens to be standing where the old bar was, and just so happens to have similar architecture.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 18
02-02-2013, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymo1 View Post
, and 3 vulcan "explorers"
For a 50% reduction in development and stagnation

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Career Officer
# 19
02-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Quote:

There's an episode of Enterprise where Cochrane is giving a speech in front of that area and they watch it on some historical monitor. You can see the statue and the area built behind him.
Career Officer
# 20
02-02-2013, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
I agree. I think a unique way to compromise would be to have the area built up with museums and everything all around, but to have the Silo preserved, the Vulcan landing spot marked, and have a modern shiny bar that just so happens to be standing where the old bar was, and just so happens to have similar architecture.
I would just like a similar bar because I'm looking to give Thomas a heart attack with all the signage that would be needed.

Seriously, though, I would like a zone with lots of signage and posters.