Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > The Art of Star Trek Online
Login

Closed Thread

Captain
# 51
03-03-2013, 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
But can't we afford some optimism? Or is that too expensive these days?

Um...nope.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Lt. Commander
# 52
03-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Quote:
But can't we afford some optimism? Or is that too expensive these days?
*sigh* I know what you mean.

It feels like the modern internet runs on cynicism, descending into outright nerdrage and #firstworldproblems at the smallest perceived slight. Daring to be positive about anything offends the groupthink. People can't just like things any more or look forward to stuff without an army of keyboard warriors emerging from the ether to tell you just how wrong you are.

Even just calling for patience during a stormy period is a great way to get yourself labeled as a "cheerleader" or accused of receiving kickbacks, not to mention damaging one's faith in humanity. All MMO forums are like this, of course. It never ends.

Sometimes I wonder how some people even manage to drag themselves out of bed in the morning. "Breakfast, ugh, the eggs are just going to burn again, typical eggs."
---
Relax.
Captain
# 53
03-05-2013, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by delsaberedux View Post

It feels like the modern internet runs on cynicism, descending into outright nerdrage and #firstworldproblems at the smallest perceived slight. Daring to be positive about anything offends the groupthink. People can't just like things any more or look forward to stuff without an army of keyboard warriors emerging from the ether to tell you just how wrong you are.

Even just calling for patience during a stormy period is a great way to get yourself labeled as a "cheerleader" or accused of receiving kickbacks, not to mention damaging one's faith in humanity. All MMO forums are like this, of course. It never ends.

Sometimes I wonder how some people even manage to drag themselves out of bed in the morning. "Breakfast, ugh, the eggs are just going to burn again, typical eggs."
In my opinion, MMO developers tent to promise huge, awesome, etc. things which emerges just as another disappointment.

In STO, there are so many different expectations by so many different people, some Star Trek fans (who subdivide agin into several groups), MMO players, single players, social people, casual players you name it.
More than any other MMO STO, does have the potential dissapoint its customers even more. And, it's sad to say, Cryptics devs have done very little about that. F2P made the game into a shameless money machine, it doesn't even try to conceal it very well IMO.
This is just one of many things that alienate people, another thing is the MMO(ised) Star Trek universe, ships work different, captains have classes(?), the strange optical differences between "Real" star trek and STO. All this doesn't help in making STO a roundly acepted game, eveyone sees a faul on it. The sad thing is the Devs could very easily remove 50% of is within one single patch, but they don't even see the problem most of the time.
Instead the try to patchwork-fix this game step by step and it seems that they don really have a clue where it leads them. In my opinion thie is really sad, Star Trek is a huge universe, rich of things to explore, but Cryptics devs seem just to go from one questionable decision to another.
My point is, as i said STO as a Star Trek MMO has way too much potential to serve as dissappointment.

As you said todays interent is full of people criticising things they mostly have no idea about and sometimes just because they can just get away with it.
I think we have to differ here between constuctive anmd destructive criticism.
Most of the time constructive criticism is a very good thing, because it reveals a systems flaws. I try to do that myself very often i know sometimes it seems like i would just rant about Cryptic, but that's not the case.

However destructive criticsm is ... well destructive, no one really profits from it. Most of the time not even the person who wrote it.

I think Game developers should very much differ between those two kinds of criticism, especially when it comes to a Star Trek game like STO, which gives a player this much freedom in creating and customizing.

Sorry, i just realized i have gnet completely off topic.

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-

The "TT and/or AtB less builds" - Thread
Rihannsu
# 54
03-05-2013, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by delsaberedux View Post

If you think this forum is bad, try the one for the Avengers online facebook game.... O-O'
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 55
03-05-2013, 08:46 AM
The character creator revamp should include kits, allowing officer to be transfered ,swaped (special officers) and trained between Captains on the same account, as well as letting us change uniforms on special officers.

It should also allow all saved character visuals among all races and factions, so we constantly do not need to remake the character traits over and over again. The save and load function should allow cross faction uniforms for role playing

Last edited by palpha2clearance; 03-05-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Rihannsu
# 56
03-05-2013, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by palpha2clearance View Post
The character creator revamp should include kits, allowing officer to be transfered ,swaped (special officers) and trained between Captains on the same account, as well as letting us change uniforms on special officers.
Um... that goes well beyond the character creator...
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 57
03-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Um... that goes well beyond the character creator...
They were talking about making the character creator more inclusive of kits and other things.

Last edited by palpha2clearance; 03-05-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Career Officer
# 58
03-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by palpha2clearance View Post
They were talking about making the character creator more inclusive of kits and other things.
Kits as visual options.
----
Captain
# 59
03-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigadooom View Post
Kits as visual options.
Not sure how I feel about that.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 60
03-07-2013, 04:24 AM
Quote:
Not sure how I feel about that.
Hopefully, it just works out that we can mix-and-match different (class restricted) kit pieces together, or use lower-level kit visuals without having to mechanically gimp one's self. I liked my Mk VIII Operative kit's look. The Mk X's? Not so much.
If you feel Keel'el's effect is well designed, please, for your own safety, be very careful around shallow pools of water.
Closed Thread