Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Closed Thread

Empire Veteran
# 111
02-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Peace? I don't even feel we're at war with the Federation. Those are only rumours
Commander
# 112
02-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpoks View Post
Not necessarily, not only bigger queue, but I was proposing here a system for sector control. Let's say Xarantine Sector for ex. There would have to be somekind of system implemented to measure who has the hold on the sector, for example the first faction to get to 100 battle victories and after that, whichever faction is in the lead.
The disputed sectors would have a social zone, mission locations and possibly some acess to unique equipment or sth. else only found in that sector what would make it tempting.
Basically for this there shouldn't be only one queue per say, maybe a dozen of 20 vs 20 for example, although as you said, it would still be a queue.

Believe me, I take it that I might be wrong, but at this moment I'm pretty certain that if Cryptic today says - "From tommorow you'll have open space combat" the KDF will be ovverrun. I agree we have better PvPers, but conider this:
- Feds have vast amount of numbers on the KDF
- Feds have access to many KDF consoles (so no element of suprise there)
- Feds also have cloak on the Defiant, combined with the 5 tac. console fleet version they could pretty much adapt & use KDF tactics.
- Feds have access to free science ships, that ususally are equiped with better tech.
- Feds outnumber the KDF in trolls, and believe me there will be entire fleets of trolls outnumbering the KDF, just for the sake of trolling and outnumbering.

Open non-instanced combat would be ok in STO if it's only about the combat. If it results in controling sectors of space, rules need to be applied because it would be Fed. all the way.
I see what you are saying and it's a step up from what we got now but I still disagree based on my earlier statements.

Numbers are not everything and I know we can hit them where it hurts. The feddies would be nothing more than a Zerg at best and even those can be chipped at. They tend to congregate in one spot versus be everywhere at once so the KDF can exercise initiative and the freedom to be pro-active. Again, we pick the battles.

If small numbers were ineffective then insurgencies would not exist and larger forces would be able to better counter them. Trying not to get rl with this but attrition, continual resistance, and force multiplication can do a lot.

Plus, I believe organized fleets would rise to the challenge. Open galaxy combat would give a purpose for Fleets to develop and evolve rather than be just homes for pre-mades.

Also, there is the possibility of adding NPC enemies in each sector and they can respond to reputations to outright attack. Borg could be present and they would have to be dealt with.

As for the KDF numbers being small, am sure if there was a real reason to fight we would see our numbers increase. New blood is coming soon from the movie and the "not-Season 8".

Queues suck at 5v5 as it is. Having to get 20v20 just sounds even lamer. Queues and instances are what ruin PVP in MMOs. Been in MMOs since 2000 and that is what I have seen happen.

I think if a third faction came into the mix, we would see the feddie population lessen.

A Terran Empire faction would further split the feddie vote and open up more PVP.

There is so much to fix that a new game would be the answer but if we are to polish the turd, then it has to start with fixing PVP and why we fight.

Support more thinking on the matter and thanks for your contributions!

P.S.

Also, to do what we been talking of, the devs would have to stop giving feddies all the KDF specific gear. Actually, they should make sure KDF stuff stays in the KDF in order to give us a better fighting chance... since we will always be out-numbered.

P.S.S.

There could be System defenses:

Starbases, obstacles like minefields and energy barrriers, turrets, NPC ships and fighters, all kinds of stuff to make up for our lack of numbers. Items could be faction-specific and lore-based as to help bolster the underdog.

Maybe these things could be worked on via PVE missions and bring another layer to the gaming onion?
"Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8

Last edited by user839020189287; 02-07-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Career Officer
# 113
02-07-2013, 11:16 AM
I would like to see the Klingon Empire part ways with the Federation. Be that through some peace accord or a simple cease fire or whatever. The result I would want is the two factions becoming so far apart in story the Klingons can feel like they are all alone when you play as a Klingon. What I mean is, stop intertwining the two factions and start creating Klingon specific stories that progress their future and hash out their religion and past and all that.
Captain
# 114
02-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trygvar13 View Post
Peace? I don't even feel we're at war with the Federation. Those are only rumours
I am at war every time I login here or there.
All cloaks should be canon.
Survivor of Romulus
# 115
02-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by user839020189287 View Post
I see what you are saying and it's a step up from what we got now but I still disagree based on my earlier statements.

Numbers are not everything and I know we can hit them where it hurts. The feddies would be nothing more than a Zerg at best and even those can be chipped at.

[snap]

As for the KDF numbers being small, am sure if there was a real reason to fight we would see our numbers increase. New blood is coming soon from the movie and the "not-Season 8".

[snap]

I think if a third faction came into the mix, we would see the feddie population lessen.

A Terran Empire faction would further split the feddie vote and open up more PVP.

[snap]

P.S.
Also, to do what we been talking of, the devs would have to stop giving feddies all the KDF specific gear. Actually, they should make sure KDF stuff stays in the KDF in order to give us a better fighting chance... since we will always be out-numbered.
- First, never underestimate the Federation!
- The "new blood" is obliged to start as a Fed. and if the trend continues and S8 is not "big" for the KDF, unfortunately I can't see many of them converting to the Empire.
- I agree, a third (preferably Romulan) faction would improve the game in general, the PvP environment and take a nice chunk to the current Fed. players.
- If Terran Empire faction ever appears (which will never ever ever happen), I'm protesting untill they give me Santa Clause faction with Raindeer Sledge Dreadnought! We have enough of multi-dimensional and temporal incursions as it is already.
- The last part, the P.S. - I really want to, but I just can't see that happening.

On I lighter note, I completely agree with what you're saying. I'd like to see those suggestions you've made implemented in STO. But, the realist that I am, I somehow don't believe it will be available for us as players in the forseable future. Fingers crossed that I'm wrong about it and that Cryptic will surprise us all!
Old D'Angelo had a game, E-I-E-I-O,
And in his game he had a grind, E-I-E-I-O,
With a nerf nerf here and a nerf nerf there,
Here nerf, there nerf, everywhere nerf nerf!
Old D'Angelo had a grind, E-I-E-I-O
Commander
# 116
02-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Quote:
- First, never underestimate the Federation!
- The "new blood" is obliged to start as a Fed. and if the trend continues and S8 is not "big" for the KDF, unfortunately I can't see many of them converting to the Empire.
- I agree, a third (preferably Romulan) faction would improve the game in general, the PvP environment and take a nice chunk to the current Fed. players.
- If Terran Empire faction ever appears (which will never ever ever happen), I'm protesting untill they give me Santa Clause faction with Raindeer Sledge Dreadnought! We have enough of multi-dimensional and temporal incursions as it is already.
- The last part, the P.S. - I really want to, but I just can't see that happening.

On I lighter note, I completely agree with what you're saying. I'd like to see those suggestions you've made implemented in STO. But, the realist that I am, I somehow don't believe it will be available for us as players in the forseable future. Fingers crossed that I'm wrong about it and that Cryptic will surprise us all!
If the new blood was like me, they will make their toon, level it up and then join the KDF to check it out. Luckily, it is fast to level in STO.

I was thinking of more than just 3 factions. Multiple factions. Romulan, Terran Empire, Tholian, Undine... but no Borg!

Was just thinking of ways to break up the feddie playerbase and spread it out more. Plus, more factions would really amp up the conflict and open the door for true diplomacy and politics, too. We should be controlling things like that, not devs.

I got a big wish-list but will be happy just to see a step forward for the KDF and for PVP. Change has to start somewhere.
"Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
Captain
# 117
02-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Peace with the Federation. This old question again?

First, the war has not been fought. Few here even know what a war between galactic hegemonys means. War means diplomacy continued by other means. To win a war each side has to invade space, a vast area without real barriers, destroy their enemies resources and will to wage war, kill their ability to resist, and occupy and HOLD whole planets and control the populace, forcing them to assimilate to new ideologies from alien species.

This game is not set up for this. There is no means to destroy infrastructure, take access to dilithium, the petroleum of Star Trek, from the enemy, take and hold planets, permanently kill players and their ships, wipe out populations.

Peace or war with the Fed is pure story and hyperbole. All I know is when I am playing my KDF toons I want to be able to team with friend playing either side.

Opening up play would take away Cryptics argument of KDF player population being a minority and may increase pressure on them to generate more real content.

The view of the KDF is too bound up with being the "bad guys". Klingons are a race. They did not become a star faring race by being a bunch of idiots. They farm, research, build houses, have cultural events, and live by laws and the best code of honor in the game. The best warrior mentality in the game. War is not meant to last forever. It lasts until one side or the other achieves their objective or both sides find no more reason to fight. After that sides return to regular daily life.
Chingachgook told me, Don't try to understand them; and don't try to make them understand you. For they are a breed apart and make no sense.
Survivor of Romulus
# 118
02-07-2013, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by user839020189287 View Post

If the new blood was like me, they will make their toon, level it up and then join the KDF to check it out. Luckily, it is fast to level in STO.
lol Reminded me of me...I still have to level a Fed. char to 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tancrediiv View Post

Opening up play would take away Cryptics argument of KDF player population being a minority and may increase pressure on them to generate more real content.

The view of the KDF is too bound up with being the "bad guys". Klingons are a race. They did not become a star faring race by being a bunch of idiots. They farm, research, build houses, have cultural events, and live by laws and the best code of honor in the game. The best warrior mentality in the game. War is not meant to last forever. It lasts until one side or the other achieves their objective or both sides find no more reason to fight. After that sides return to regular daily life.
How do you see the possibility to 'open up play' as something that could lead to more content? Not being sarcastic here, it's just I've always thought that the same thing is a move in the direction of having less KDF content.

About the second quoted paragraph - I'm really glad to see one more member of STO that understands what the Klingon are. Compared to the entire STO comunity, this type of people are a rare comodity. I applaud you for what you wrote!
Old D'Angelo had a game, E-I-E-I-O,
And in his game he had a grind, E-I-E-I-O,
With a nerf nerf here and a nerf nerf there,
Here nerf, there nerf, everywhere nerf nerf!
Old D'Angelo had a grind, E-I-E-I-O
Career Officer
# 119
02-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Only if I can get a Excelsior for my Gorn.

Until then, lock weapons on those Feddy lap dogs and their squeaky toys. >=3

Expect my Catian, he's protected.

LTS Join Date : September 2010. Boldly going forward because Cryptic forgot reverse.
I am currenty unsupervised, anyone who knows me will inform you that this will likely lead to trouble.=3
As I grind through the valley of XP, I shall fear no nerf.
Captain
# 120
02-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Quote:
lol Reminded me of me...I still have to level a Fed. char to 50

How do you see the possibility to 'open up play' as something that could lead to more content? Not being sarcastic here, it's just I've always thought that the same thing is a move in the direction of having less KDF content.

About the second quoted paragraph - I'm really glad to see one more member of STO that understands what the Klingon are. Compared to the entire STO comunity, this type of people are a rare comodity. I applaud you for what you wrote!
The reason is that by getting rid of that on going war but keeping the rivalry and the drive to expand and compete for territory while allowing factions to do content together it creates more opportunity to develop original story arcs. It also means Cryptrick cannot say KDF is only x% minority group while Federation is the 70% majority so we will only develop 1 side. It will force them to develop the whole 100%.if you see my meaning.
Chingachgook told me, Don't try to understand them; and don't try to make them understand you. For they are a breed apart and make no sense.
Closed Thread