Empire Veteran
# 11
02-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Because the old romulan government was too secretive and I'm pretty sure D'Tan would rather have a fresh start and forget about such things that were mostly designed to keep the rommies powerful.
Starfleet Veteran
# 12
02-02-2013, 12:30 PM
I would say give the Federation battle cloaks - except make it require max level reputation with the Romulans and given as a universal console.

Tada - The Romulans are granting YOU permission to use a cloak because it serves their purpose. Same thing they did with the Defiant.

At best it means everyone at max level will have cloaks - Which is frankly a retarded premise to begin with.
Do all the Klingon ships use cloaking devices - no,
Do all the Klingon players only fly the cloaking ships - no

Whining about Star Trek becoming Cloak Wars is hilariously stupid if your also one of those folks gunning for a Romulan faction. By the same logic, Romulans should not be introduced because Romulans and Klingons will just be cloaking around one another... right ?
Empire Veteran
# 13
02-02-2013, 12:31 PM
I use Mask Energy, works ok - it is just like a cloak...

I love when people ask for something that you can all ready do, it makes me LOL
Which one will you be?

Career Officer
# 14
02-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Well, this is a novel, never before seen topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YQGnj12VXY
Most JJ Trek hate = IDIC fail.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS
Empire Veteran
# 15
02-02-2013, 08:33 PM
I'm not going to argue about why Feds shouldn't get cloaks, especially battle cloaks this time. Instead I'll ask some question:

What purpose would Federation ships getting a cloak or battle cloak serve? What enhancement to your gameplay would it add that you are lacking currently? From a PvP standpoint, if a lot more Fed ships got cloak, then would you have no problem allowing Klingons to have the same number of de-cloaking and cloak-detection options the Feds do now? If you only want any ships to have a BC, are you willing to give up a considerable amount of hull and shields to keep it similar to a BoP? If no to the previous question, are you then ok to let the BoPs get back a good portion of hull and shields in order to stay balanced as compared to Federation ships?

I have more, but that seems good enough for now.

Empire Veteran
# 16
02-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Really don't understand the obsession with cloak... Actually klinks with cloaks is kinda ironic since they all talk of honor and bravery.. which honorable people hides and backstabs their opponents anyway?

Rommies i get it, klinks.. ironic..
Commander
# 17
02-02-2013, 09:33 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Add a Cloaking Device"Device" as a romulan rep project. Something like five to ten minutes of cloak time then it burns out. Would be a good resource sink.
Captain
# 18
02-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by avarseir View Post
Really don't understand the obsession with cloak... Actually klinks with cloaks is kinda ironic since they all talk of honor and bravery.. which honorable people hides and backstabs their opponents anyway?

Rommies i get it, klinks.. ironic..
Klingons only have cloaking devices because of the Bird-of-Prey in Star Trek III. It was originally a stolen Romulan ship (which is why it had a cloak, and was painted like a bird), but then they dropped that in the script and it became a regular Klingon ship.

Then, with Birds-of-Prey being the only Klingon ships present for about five seasons of TNG, it just became standard for all Klingon ships to have a cloak.

Anyway, cloaking devices are a Huge Deal (with capital letters) in PVP, less so in PVE. In PVP, I almost always see one lone Klingon player floating around, and the minute someone attacks him two more Klingons decloak and dominate the attacker(s). I tend to keep myself cloaked in PVP, and never attack anyone first because of this. It's a great strategy, but it makes PVP truly risky for the solo Fed player, and pretty safe for the solo Klingon player.

I'm not much of a theorycrafter, so I don't really feel qualified to come up with solutions to this "problem" (if it really is a problem). Still, if we're going to be getting a Romulan faction in May, there's a near-certain chance that all of their ships will have built-in cloaks just like the Klingon ships have, so maybe the Feds might need a little something to counter that. I honestly dunno, though.
Captain
# 19
02-02-2013, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jockey1979 View Post
I use Mask Energy, works ok - it is just like a cloak...

I love when people ask for something that you can all ready do, it makes me LOL
Best of these by far is the "playable Klingon captain for FED" for 600 Zen. Since you can just build a Klingon for free by picking "Alien". And you even get traits that don't suck and everything.

There's even a canon alien guide on the Wiki for that sort of thing.
--------------------------------------

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
Starfleet Veteran
# 20
02-03-2013, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by westx211 View Post
I know the federation signed a treaty with the romulans to not make cloaks

The Romulans won't give you cloaks. The Klingons won't give you capes. Maybe, just maybe, --if you ask really nicely-- the Feds can get a hoodie.