Captain
# 1 How do I enable auto run?
03-11-2014, 04:50 PM
I'm getting tired of having to hit the shift key every time I move around with my character to get her to run. I don't need to "walk" anywhere, so it's pointless to me. Is there a way to make it so I just run automatically when I move my character without having to input a certain key every time? If so, what tab in the options?
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=94154940000&dateline=  1390007378
Quote:
"The Galaxy Explorer would be fine if only it could execute it's saucer separation while moving."
-Nobody
Commander
# 2
03-11-2014, 05:00 PM
It's in the keybind tab, choose rpg or shooter mode then assign a key. If I remember correctly rpg is set to "R" by default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjudicatorhawk View Post
Traits aren't really power creep - they're lateral power movement
Captain
# 3
03-11-2014, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeeinn1t View Post
It's in the keybind tab, choose rpg or shooter mode then assign a key. If I remember correctly rpg is set to "R" by default.
I checked out keybinds but there was no option to either keep it on all the time, or invert it so my character runs by default and walks only if I hit the shift key instead of the other way around.

Such as it is every time my character stops for a second before moving again I have to hit shift yet again to toggle it back to run speed. I don't want to change the key that enables my character to run, I want it set so I simply move at running speed without having to toggle off walk every time.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=94154940000&dateline=  1390007378
Quote:
"The Galaxy Explorer would be fine if only it could execute it's saucer separation while moving."
-Nobody
Captain
# 4
03-11-2014, 07:41 PM
There is no possibility to always-run. Anyways, i dont see the issue on pressing a key every time you want to switch between walk and run.

Btw, there are 3 speeds out of combat - walk, speed walk, and run. We assume you talking about the second and third one , right? , well, no. Its not possible..
Captain
# 5
03-12-2014, 05:24 AM
I guess you can create a key bind that enables both walking and sprinting.

I'm pretty poor with binds myself, but if you get a bind that W=walk+sprint, it should auto-run.

Otherwise, no idea.
Not knowing something isn't a sign of stupidity, not asking is.
WE NEED THE EXCELSIOR ERA BRIDGES INGAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Undine of Ganalda - a forum light RP game
Proud leader of Delta Task Force
Captain
# 6
03-12-2014, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahmkota19 View Post
I guess you can create a key bind that enables both walking and sprinting.

I'm pretty poor with binds myself, but if you get a bind that W=walk+sprint, it should auto-run.

Otherwise, no idea.
That does not make any sense at all... unless yo know how to "create" keybinds lol. I guess only the devs can do that...
Commander
# 7
03-12-2014, 08:40 AM
This game has NO auto run function which sucks... wish they would build it in. Cant be too hard.

I think this game has no "Walk" function... you can see how npcs walk around... if you try following them you will pass them cause your set to always "run". However the run to me is more like jogging speed.

You can toggle sprint but that doesnt last long.

IMO you should be able to sprint 100% of the time when in non-combat social hubs like towns/space ports/ship interiors etc.
Captain
# 8
03-12-2014, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgecrysger View Post
There is no possibility to always-run. Anyways, i dont see the issue on pressing a key every time you want to switch between walk and run.

Btw, there are 3 speeds out of combat - walk, speed walk, and run. We assume you talking about the second and third one , right? , well, no. Its not possible..
Yes, second and third one. Well then that's too bad. Who "does" want to have to "switch" between running and not running anyway? Why would anyone need to walk in ANY aspect of this game? It seems to me they should have just made full on running speed the default. Then, if for some wacky reason you wanted to go slower, THEN you could hit a key to make it happen. For my part I just don't see the point.
Quote:
-Nobody
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-12-2014, 09:25 AM
What seems to be working on my STO client (I'm new to this and don't know if there are other settings or whatever else that affect this)
Quote:
/bind r "++autoforward $$ +run"
then press enter.

Beware: using this keybind, pressing Shift no longer slowed my characters speed from running to walking

You can save/load keybinds to/from a file in your STO directory with the commands
Quote:
/bind_save_file keeprunning.txt
/bind_load_file keeprunning.txt
(filename is up to you, of course)
That might be handy for transferring the keybind to other characters.

p.s.: If you want to do some manual walking at default speed after using this keybind, you have to press Shift once before holding the 'W'-key.

Last edited by solemkof; 03-12-2014 at 09:40 AM.