Survivor of Romulus
# 11
02-04-2013, 02:08 PM
they only patched the omega torp...the hyper torp doesn't use mags....

either way..i dont know if its the doffs or just a bug in the code but i do at times have it where the torp (any of the special ones like trics, or the cluster torp) fails to fire but activates the CD -.- really annoying... and at times you have the lame maching-gun visual and audio glitching on a torp that is reloading but trying to fire....

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
Captain
# 12
02-04-2013, 02:18 PM
I don't consider it an exploit at all. The projectile officers do exactly what they are designed to do. If you have 2 photon torpedo launchers and 3 projectile officers, you get the same constant stream of launches it just doesn't LOOK as significant because the photon torps can't be targeted and you only get 1 per launch. The hyper plasma torpedo is a very "noisy" weapon but the performance it can deliver is perfectly ordinary. Don't forget that despite the massive strings of torpedoes the hyperplasma launcher torps only do a fraction of what a regular torpedo does.
Captain
# 13
02-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eulifdavis View Post
Why call it an exploit? The game mechanics very clearly allow it to occur, and the DOFFs are doing exactly what they were designed to do - reduce torpedo cooldowns. I'm not seeing where the exploit is...

In game design, an exploit is deliberately taking advantage of a bug in the game's code, usually to do something the designers never intended. This is not what is happening here.
It has been stated by the developers that the doffs are not supposed to reduce cool down on set items. Using an unintended feature is an exploit.

The developers have been busy with the anniversary and server stability, but i have no doubt that the doff cool down on the romulan hyper torpedo and Omega torpedo will soon be a thing of the past.
Career Officer
# 14
02-04-2013, 02:33 PM
No, the Omega launcher wasn't supposed to proc them, they said nothing about the Hyper-Plasma.

The problem with the Omega torp was because it fires rapidly, which will repeatedly check for the proc, leading to ridiculous proc rates. The Hyper-Plasma launcher is basically a regular torpedo launcher that fires three slow balls.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Captain
# 15
02-04-2013, 02:38 PM
I'll see if i can find the exact quote, but the doff cool down was never intended for either the Omega nor the Romulan Hyper torpedo which makes it an exploit.

Semantics aside, the answer has been given. Only 1 per vessel and the rapid fire is due to doffs.
Rihannsu
# 16
02-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Yes I remember the Omega torp being called out on the procs, which was a good thing since the proc was happening so much is would prevent the omerga torp from firing. I don't remember anything about the Romulan one, but I don't read everything.

Kinda related questions, does anyone know if the Romulan or Reman sets boost the hyper-torpedo regular fire? I'm thinking of this bonus in particular.

Set 2: Prototype Plasma Projectile

Passive
+15 Starship Particle Generator
Enchances your High Yield Plasma torpedos:
Increased Flight Speed
Increased Defense
Joined September 2011
Nouveau riche LTS member
Captain
# 17
02-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkarris View Post
Yes I remember the Omega torp being called out on the procs, which was a good thing since the proc was happening so much is would prevent the omerga torp from firing. I don't remember anything about the Romulan one, but I don't read everything.

Kinda related questions, does anyone know if the Romulan or Reman sets boost the hyper-torpedo regular fire? I'm thinking of this bonus in particular.

Passive
Increased Flight Speed
Increased Defense
That is an excellent question, one i have to admit i don't know the answer to.
Never bothered with the Romulan or Reman sets.

It'd be scary if it does however. Bulkier/faster plasma torpedoes being fired in groups of 3.
The most effective counter (point defence) would be rendered partially ineffective.
Captain
# 18
02-04-2013, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkarris View Post

Passive
Increased Flight Speed
Increased Defense
It works on the hyper torpedo, but the bonus is small. Some people calculated the flight time, and you win around 1s on a max range shot, as far as I remember. Not really worth mentioning.

I've tested myself on tribble, and didn't see a difference. If the items are still there, feel free to try on tribble, the test merchant was in DS9, near the old STF merchant.
Captain
# 19
02-04-2013, 03:22 PM
That's 1 second gain for the hyper torpedo, but the set pre-dates the hyper torpedo.
Do you know how much the gain is for a regular plasma torpedo?
Captain
# 20
02-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by questerius View Post
I'll see if i can find the exact quote, but the doff cool down was never intended for either the Omega nor the Romulan Hyper torpedo which makes it an exploit.
Until you provide a link to a post by a developer, calling it an exploit is merely your opinion.

As was stated already, projectile officers don't work with the omega launcher because they made this already glitchy weapon become even more glitchy.