Starfleet Veteran
# 1 One hit kill
02-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Whats with this? im doing starbase 24 and stf elites etc and i have full health then boom random death, my friends have it to and i seen people complain in game, its like your doing good and the game punishes you or clips it down so your not over powering people or something but it is bloody annoying especially when its like a 60 second cool down time
Career Officer
# 2
02-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Basically, Cryptic seems to believe that Frustration=Difficulty.

Although, it can be very difficult for any developer to program decent AI that doesn't cheap shot you.
Most JJ Trek hate = IDIC fail.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS
Empire Veteran
# 3
02-03-2013, 03:59 PM
I know the feeling, in ESTFs I will be tanking away, with 50% - 60% (depends on what skills I have active) and I am fine....

Then, out of the blue - bang, I'm toast. Nothing was shooting me, my heals were working. Over 50% hull (total hull 60,000) and just toast, no incoming shots / torps, shields were up.

It is really starting to annoy me, even had it when I've been knocked down to 20% hull, so I've had to back off due to cool downs, I end up 14km away from everything. Hit my hazard emitters as soon as they come off cool down and yet, I still just explode.
Which one will you be?

Captain
# 4
02-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordagamemnonb5 View Post
Although, it can be very difficult for any developer to program decent AI that doesn't cheap shot you.
Not really, if you have a little imagination.

Cryptic doesn't seem either willing to or capable of creating more interesting encounters than it has. For example, they could make a Tactical cube with actual regenerating hardpoints for its tractor beams, then other players would be able to free allies that are being tractored in and cut up by cutting beams. Leaving players stuck in a tractor beam like that means they take more and more damage until they're destroyed, and these beams aren't able to be APO'd out of, requiring players to actually pay attention to their group.

At that point, it's just a question of what sounds more frustrating: one-hit kill invisitorps, or players that are too tunnel-visioned to pay attention to allies that need help?
Captain
# 5
02-03-2013, 04:18 PM
I had that once or twice yesterday, but since i was flying some old ships (older... still good gear) i figured i had gotten lazy by the huge hull strength of the Breen and Ambassador.

Still not certain if there's some invisible torpedo or that i need to get my head on straight.
Career Officer
# 6
02-03-2013, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thratch1 View Post
Not really, if you have a little imagination.

Cryptic doesn't seem either willing to or capable of creating more interesting encounters than it has. For example, they could make a Tactical cube with actual regenerating hardpoints for its tractor beams, then other players would be able to free allies that are being tractored in and cut up by cutting beams. Leaving players stuck in a tractor beam like that means they take more and more damage until they're destroyed, and these beams aren't able to be APO'd out of, requiring players to actually pay attention to their group.

At that point, it's just a question of what sounds more frustrating: one-hit kill invisitorps, or players that are too tunnel-visioned to pay attention to allies that need help?
They did actually make a decent NPC that healed itself and resisted attack, currently seeing service in The Vault (the D'Deridex Defender at the end). Unfortunately there was so much whining about it being impossible to destroy that even though it was only released accidentally it was quickly removed, never to be seen again.
A real pity as it was actually interesting to fight an NPC that didn't just throw cheap shots and masses of HP at you.
Concessimus etiam omnibus liberis hominibus regni nostri, et dedit pro nobis et heredibus nostris in perpetuum, quibus libertates subscriptas, habendas et tenendas eis et heredibus suis de nobis et heredibus nostris in perpetuum.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
02-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwgacy1 View Post
They did actually make a decent NPC that healed itself and resisted attack, currently seeing service in The Vault (the D'Deridex Defender at the end). Unfortunately there was so much whining about it being impossible to destroy that even though it was only released accidentally it was quickly removed, never to be seen again.
A real pity as it was actually interesting to fight an NPC that didn't just throw cheap shots and masses of HP at you.

That one I have not seen. There was one that I fought (an Undine, I think) that would use Miracle Worker every time it hit around 33% HP. After the fourth time that it did that, I said 'screw it' and quit the mission.
Career Officer
# 8
02-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Sign of the times, everybody wants something for nothing! Shame... I personally like a challenge.

In saying that, however, the OP is correct. It has happened on numerous occasions where the game just seems to decide that I am doing too well and well, 'poof' I'm dead even with 100% shields and 100% hull! Infuriating sometimes...

Ah well... all part of the no win scenario I guess...
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
Career Officer
# 9
02-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwgacy1 View Post
That particular ship build didn't just get 'accidentally released'...

It got accidentally released into the general population of the game (not just The Vault).

Lower level players were coming up against that particular 'nasty' during their entire journey through the Romulan Missions.

Even some higher level players were coming up against it with very little success.
(at least until several people on these forums, described a practical way to take it out)

It was interesting though, for awhile.
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.
Career Officer
# 10
02-03-2013, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyny View Post
That particular ship build didn't just get 'accidentally released'...

It got accidentally released into the general population of the game (not just The Vault).

Lower level players were coming up against that particular 'nasty' during their entire journey through the Romulan Missions.

Even some higher level players were coming up against it with very little success.
(at least until several people on these forums, described a practical way to take it out)

It was interesting though, for awhile.
If the 'General Population' can't handle an NPC with ASIF 2 and a Science Team then I'm not surprised the NPCs will never improve, there's no need to if the players themselves won't.

IIRC I was leveling an Engineer at the time and had no issues with dealing with it, I was in a Nebula IIRC so would have been a Commander.
There really isn't an NPC in this game that can't be handled by full weapons power and weapon buffs like CRF/FaW/ Torpedo HY and Spread. Unfortunately, a few seem to not have noticed.
Concessimus etiam omnibus liberis hominibus regni nostri, et dedit pro nobis et heredibus nostris in perpetuum, quibus libertates subscriptas, habendas et tenendas eis et heredibus suis de nobis et heredibus nostris in perpetuum.