Captain
# 21
02-04-2013, 02:56 AM
1.) In Elite STF, gateways and the elite cube have plasma torpedo launchers which are rated for 50K base damage. They can crit for 75K.

2.) These enemies have 2 torpedo launchers which they can fire about 2 seconds apart.

3.) NPC torpedo damage is not reduced by 90% if it hits a shied, like player torpedoes are.

4.) NPC torpedoes have a bug where if a torpedo can overcome a shield facing completely, damage may not be reduced by the amount of shielding it had to overcome.

5.) Standard torpedoes, unlike heavy, do not have a maximum lifetime and will literally follow you across the map once launched.

Now how many of ya'll's random deaths does that account for?
Starfleet Veteran
# 22
02-04-2013, 03:34 AM
Add the Invisible Torpedo to that list and it will cover most (if not all) of mine.
Captain
# 23
02-04-2013, 04:18 AM
There is no "the invisible torpedo". It's just a regular 50K torpedo that the visuals don't show up for because the game can only handle so many effects of that kind at once.
Ensign
# 24
02-04-2013, 04:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post
There is no "the invisible torpedo". It's just a regular 50K torpedo that the visuals don't show up for because the game can only handle so many effects of that kind at once.

So it's a torpedo that is invisible, not an invisible torpedo. Gotcha.
Lieutenant
# 25
02-04-2013, 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardtheiii View Post
The borg transwarp gate in elite is known to have invisible torpedoes that crit for ridiculous amounts of damage.
Yup, I concur this rather silly thing. Unless, there is an unknown type of powerful weapon yet to be discovered by both the Federation and Klingon factions?
Career Officer
# 26
02-04-2013, 06:38 AM
Most one hits are caused by standard borg plasma torps. They are handled very oddly in the game, they crit VERY often (nearly 25% according to my logs) and can one hit fulled buffed shields like they are nothing, meaning if you don't have lots of hull with a good deal of resistance you won't be around long. Shield resistances seem to not really work against them, or at least their damage value doesn't get diminished much, but then again maybe it is and the damage value makes tricobalt crits look hiliariously weak.

I've never seen a cube or tac cube crit, but gates, unimatrix and the queen do very often.

The only other thing that tends to one hit, or get very close is isocharge. It is avoidable to an extent, unless someone is pulling agro in the 90? arc, but it is energy based and an RSP can absorb it. The problem is that the damage can be so severe that the bleed through alone with RSP can nearly kill you. The other problem is iso often comes in multiple hits, the same charge can hit you a couple times, and multiple ships will throw them out at the same time. So if you get hit on the weaker 1st or 2nd jump, you just can't recover shield facings fast enough to do any good against the 2nd hit or a different iso charge already on its way.
Delirium Tremens
Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
Nothing to do anymore.
http://dtfleet.com/
Visit our Youtube channel
Ensign
# 27
02-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poddli View Post
It's not deliberately invisible....
Captain
# 28
02-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poddli View Post
It's actually not a semantic difference. Not so long ago the high yield targetable torps had a serious issue where oftentimes they wouldn't draw, and players actually would be one-shotted by invisible torpedoes doing an even more insane amount of damage than what we're seeing right now.

Momaw's list is quite good, but it's missing one piece of information. Quite often there is a massive desynch between when Borg STF enemies deal torpedo damage, and when said torpedo decides to show it's vfx, resulting in people being killed as much as fifteen or more seconds *before* a torpedo appears and hits a ship.
Republic Veteran
# 29
02-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariothebros View Post
Yup, I concur this rather silly thing. Unless, there is an unknown type of powerful weapon yet to be discovered by both the Federation and Klingon factions?
apparently the borg went to an alternate reality that let them get ahold of these http://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/CN_Thr...kipper_Missile and improved them greatly.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariothebros View Post
The Borg possess the technology (in STO) to produce torpedoes which are not only perfectly undetectable, but which can utterly destroy any Federation vessel in a single shot. We know this technology exists because we've all been victims of it. I have no problem with existence of this technology in the game. What I do have a problem with is that Starfleet hasn't gotten their hands on it by now. If a technology exists then it can and will eventually be known by the enemies of those who possess it. There's no question about that. I think it's high time that either Starfleet also has the technology or it be removed from the game entirely.

Last edited by buzzout; 02-04-2013 at 11:37 AM.