So one of the new additions to S7 is the ability to have both a starship and a small craft "readied" at the same time. This way, you can queue for content that requires a different craft type than you're currently in.
In theory, it's a great system. In theory.
The first problem is that, whenever I'm currently flying a starship but I have a small craft readied, the UI ship name (right below my shield indicator) displays my small craft's name instead of my starship's one. Targeting myself and clicking Info also gives the same ship name in the info popup, so I assume that this is the name other players are seeing as well.
The only way to fix this (that I've found, at any rate) is to delete your small craft. All of them. Then your ship name will start showing up again... but your tray will become hopelessly borked, and you won't be able to slot boffs properly. And the only way to fix that is to delete the borked ship and get a replacement. So it's not really a solution at all. (Now I'm worried that some folks who don't know of this bug might lose their rare per-character ships, which is just inexcusable.)
The second (and much larger) problem is that, when I return to sector space from my shuttle bridge, I'm unable to do anything besides just fly around. I can't enter systems; I can't enter other sector blocks; I can't even transwarp. One of my characters is currently completely stuck because of this.
So yeah: great idea, game-breaking execution. I really hope this gets fixed ASAP.
Last edited by kirimuffin; 11-14-2012 at 07:17 PM.
I have also observed this, and it's quite possible that many people have this issue but don't know it yet.
It appears to me that the software may be choosing, between the names of the active starship and small craft, the one that is earlier in the alphabet.
The status screen accessed by hitting the "U" key seems to show in order 1) your name, 2) active ships in alphabetical order, and 3) BOFFs in alphabetical order. My current ship is called the U.S.S. Massachusetts and my Danube-class runabout is called the U.S.S. Escambia (FYI river that drains into Pensacola Bay in Florida), and it keeps showing "U.S.S. Escambia" regardless of which ship I'm using. Switching back and forth, logging off and on, exiting and restarting the program, etc. didn't do any good.
I tried switching to my old ship, called U.S.S. Concord, and then it showed the name "U.S.S. Concord", but still showed it when I switched over the Escambia. (I.e. it seemed the first time it was choosing "E" over "M", and then the second time choosing "C" over "E".)
It's possible if that someone named their small craft something later in the alphabet than their main ship that they wouldn't see the problem even if it's latently there, until they get or choose a ship that has a name farther down in the alphabet than their current selected small craft.
While the only thing it appears to affect is 1) the name displayed in the space UI below the shield/hull status and above crew status and 2) what other players see your ship as when you're in space (it does NOT affect the name decal on the ship, name in the "U" screen, or ship name in dialog boxes), it is pretty annoying to have the wrong thing just pasted there, not-quite-screaming at you, the whole time you're flying around...
Thanks to this new bug/feature, I simply don't use shuttles at all since I have to assume that any time I change ships, the powers tray gets screwed up.
A work-around is to name your ships alphabetically. This also requires that you don't rename/discharge any ships in mid-roster. Still, if you switch between more than 2 ships (i.e. main and shuttle), you still risk getting your powers tray messed up.
I really just wish they'd stop all the auto-anything stuff. Stop auto-populating our powers tray and our boff stations. Really. When players are resorting to 'backing up' their powers tray with screen shots, you're not just doing it wrong, you're doing it stupid.
I had this same problem, but it not only borked the ship names in the UI, but went so far as to screw up the ship names and registry numbers on the ships themselves, and no amount of fiddling or renaming or re-logging would fix the problem. My only solution was to pull all of the equipment off of both ships and discharge them, then reclaim replacements from the C-store (fortunately said replacements were free). Clunky, but effective, and not really a workable solution.
This just happened to me as well. I claimed the new support cruiser, and not the names on the hull of all of my ships is wrong. I've revisited ship customization, selected a different ship, to no avail.
It's not a big deal, I guess, but it's an annoying little bug.