Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > The Art of Star Trek Online
Login

Career Officer
This thread is about Vulcan system space view of the planet. As it stands, we warp into orbit by seeing this:

Present view of Vulcan in orbit

However, if you take the time to fly around the planet a bit, you will notice a much better view of it with some ocean mass and all as such:

Vulcan side with oceans

I dunno who takes care of these maps, Tacofangs or another dev. But I wish the view of the planet with oceans would be the default setting when we warp in orbit of the system. I will not presume to say "it's easy to do it, turn the planet some", but would it be possible to do it quickly?

I know it's trivial, but if there are beautiful assets already in the game, it would be a nice touch to bring it forward for all to see.

Peace and Long Life.

SERVER NOT RESPONDING (1701s)
Captain
# 2
01-15-2014, 04:21 AM
I never knew that it looked like that from the other side. Does seem like a little bit of a waste.
It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

And no repetitiveepic, I'm not sorry for any of my posts.
Career Officer
# 3
01-15-2014, 04:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peetapipmac View Post
I never knew that it looked like that from the other side. Does seem like a little bit of a waste.
Same here.

-----------------------------------

redshirtthefirst, you've got my support on this idea.

This is what Vulcan looked like in remastered TOS:

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...remastered.jpg

There's water clearly visible on the left.

This is what it looked like on "Enterprise":

http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...rbit,_2154.jpg

I don't think there's any need to comment on that one.

So this change would also make Vulcan look more like it was in the shows...in the sense that people would actually see some oceans on entering orbit
Captain
# 4
01-15-2014, 04:35 AM
Wow... Untill I saw this post, I had entirely forgotten that Vulcan existed in this game.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
01-15-2014, 04:41 AM
Fear not brothers and sister.

I have come with a genocidal plan on how to fix this.... now... I need everyone to meet me at vulcan so we can do some.... drilling.... then I'll fire down a probe to do science things...
Career Officer
# 6
01-15-2014, 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thay8472 View Post
Fear not brothers and sister.

I have come with a genocidal plan on how to fix this.... now... I need everyone to meet me at vulcan so we can do some.... drilling.... then I'll fire down a probe to do science things...
At least you didn't propose that everyone bring a chair so we can shatter the planet by jumping off them all at the same time.
Captain
# 7
01-15-2014, 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Wow... Untill I saw this post, I had entirely forgotten that Vulcan existed in this game.
I know Vulcan appear in the Diplomatic orders fed mission, which is currently being revamped. Otherwise, I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
At least you didn't propose that everyone bring a chair so we can shatter the planet by jumping off them all at the same time.
That could definitely be a Dr Who plot.
Career Officer
# 8
01-15-2014, 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erei1 View Post
That could definitely be a Dr Who plot.
Oh, the truth is way worse than that...somebody really asked such a stupid question once.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...taclysm-result
Captain
# 9
01-15-2014, 09:46 AM
hmm..wow...I never thought of Vulcan having large oceans. The books (non-canonical or at best soft-canonical admittedly) showed water as being scarce on Vulcan, mostly underground, if I understood right. A tribe controlling a small spring could rule an empire.

This small oceans thing does make sense, though. Even with species adaptation to the environment, water is still needed for any significant population growth.

In like kind, I've often wondered at the portrayals of Andoria as purely an ice planet. Surely they must have a more temperate, agricultural region around the equator? Else where does the food come from? There may be more carnivore species in the ice regions, as a necessity, but somewhere there will be herbivores in abundance to fuel the higher ranks on the food chain.
Career Officer
# 10
01-15-2014, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwright View Post
hmm..wow...I never thought of Vulcan having large oceans. The books (non-canonical or at best soft-canonical admittedly) showed water as being scarce on Vulcan, mostly underground, if I understood right. A tribe controlling a small spring could rule an empire.

This small oceans thing does make sense, though. Even with species adaptation to the environment, water is still needed for any significant population growth.
You're forgetting that drinking ocean water is bad.
The ocean can be big or small but, as you described, springs are essential for survival.