Lieutenant
# 21
02-10-2013, 06:38 AM
yea for example you launch 12 fighters.
7 of them get destroied.
5 remain

u press one of the launcher hanger bays and then u got 7 fighters out, is annoying.
Romeo - Engineer D'Kora / Leia - Science Charal
Sirius - Tactical Kumari / Hatschy - Tactical Scimitar
lil - Engineer Corvette / Dark - Tactical Guramba
Captain
# 22
02-10-2013, 06:44 AM
To be honest, I (personally, my opinion, end of disclaimer) find auto-launch running counter to the idea of being a carrier pilot. I think it's part of the experience; seeing what wings need replacing, healing *gasp* my fighters and frigates where appropriate, and micromanaging their attacks, somewhat.

An indication of the health (or even existence) of said fighters and frigates would be valuable, though. It's doable to keep track of the status of Fer'Jai's and BoP's, but the smaller fellows, not so much.

However, my largest issue with the pet AI is that they tend to go AWOL. Every once in a while they decide to just go rogue and attack stuff on the other side of the map, completely ignoring my targets or commands (except recall, apparently). If they can get that fixed, I'd be a very happy player. Particularly as they seem to have improved pets' attention to fore weapon usage, in the current Tribble patch.
Ensign
# 23
02-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Every once in a while they decide to just go rogue and attack stuff on the other side of the map, completely ignoring my targets or commands
This can be a pain because they can be so hard to keep track of on screen,you looma round and see little yellow numbers popping up 40km's away,I just have to laugh because i know if i click the summon button,it'll be the guys closest to me that will go poof :>

I did get my hands on a mirror vo'quv,so far i think its much better than my atrox,might be because of using bop's alot easier to keep track of
Starfleet Veteran
# 24
02-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Auto-launch hangers would be a good start but ideally, it would be better to expand the system so that the carriers can use frigate sized pets. That way they will be easier to see and you can give them more abilities / hitpoints in exchange for only having one or two out.

I.E Turn them into ship versions of Bridge officers rather than treat them like a Quantum Mortar.
Commander
# 25
02-11-2013, 12:37 AM
The biggest tool I've found for fixing fighters going wonky, is to keep them on recall when not in use, and bind the carrier commands somehow. (The UI will display three power bars, but has key binds for the first four bars by default.)

Anytime they want to go AWOL, issue the recall to slap the stupid out of them, and reissue the real command you want. Most of the time they go AWOL is when the finish with one target, and poll a teammate across the map for additional targets, I think. When you launch a fighter with something already targeted, or reissue the intercept command with a target they seem to behave a little more sensibly. That is defaulting to that target when no intercept priority targets appear.

Not the best fix, but it works better then trusting them to always do the right thing sadly. (Not to say programming them to "always do the right thing" would be easy.)
Commander
# 26
02-11-2013, 12:56 AM
Ick, double post, but it's separate idea. A team and/or fighter passive heal.

A carrier console type. I'm loathed to give up a console slot, but star ship level healing is a overkill fighters. (Which btw, do not self heal. They're depended on to replacement or you to heal them your self.)

We're a carrier. If anyone is going to be carrying around spare parts or the machine shops to make them on the fly? We certainly seem to have a endless supply of whole fighters. It would be of use. We wouldn't have to spam fighters if they were not so disposable.

--------

I still stand by my OP though simple because the information to do it is already tracked by the client and server, and wouldn't require a new GUI widget. No one has taken the time to connect the dots yet.
Career Officer
# 27
02-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Quote:
To be honest, I (personally, my opinion, end of disclaimer) find auto-launch running counter to the idea of being a carrier pilot
This is just silly. I have my hangers on macro. Even if they weren't, you click an icon for each hanger... woo...

Personally, its so little of an effort that I believe the OP has a point. Just automate the function to I can play the game and enjoy the experience rather than play whack-a-mole with my UI.

Shoot, 3000 people on my Caitian carrier... you'd think one of them would be in charge of keeping the flight deck clear...
Ensign
# 28
02-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Shoot, 3000 people on my Caitian carrier... you'd think one of them would be in charge of keeping the flight deck clear...
So true lol.

I'd venture out to say let us launch one at a time,at a faster rate than launching three and have it auto-launch toggle like weapons are.Thats basically what they are,weapons,lets treat them as such.

As for frigate sized ones,the feds need a basic one,kdf already has BOP's.