Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 199
# 111
02-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artan42 View Post
Why does the Dominion not have cloaked ships?
They have personal cloaks on ground troops, they have captured enough Romulan and Klingon ships to know how they work. Why not use this advantage?
My theory is that they DO have cloaked ships, however their cloaking technology is years beyond their alpha quadrant counterparts (after all, they never had much difficulty detecting cloaked alpha quadrant ships), and thus has not been detected. In other words, we didn't see any cloaked Dominion ships in the series because, well, they were cloaked. This would mean, of course, that the Dominion applies a different strategy to cloaked vessels. Instead of using them in conventional warfare, they reserve them for espionage and covert operations.

Just a theory, but I think all the pieces fit.

I have a STO lore question. Why does the Federation need an ambassador to Vulcan (Picard)? Vulcan is part of the Federation, and has representation on the Federation Council. I haven't read the full "Path to 2409" series, so maybe I missed something, but it's a little confusing to me.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 152
# 112
02-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by janusforbeare View Post
My theory is that they DO have cloaked ships, however their cloaking technology is years beyond their alpha quadrant counterparts (after all, they never had much difficulty detecting cloaked alpha quadrant ships), and thus has not been detected. In other words, we didn't see any cloaked Dominion ships in the series because, well, they were cloaked. This would mean, of course, that the Dominion applies a different strategy to cloaked vessels. Instead of using them in conventional warfare, they reserve them for espionage and covert operations.

Just a theory, but I think all the pieces fit.

I have a STO lore question. Why does the Federation need an ambassador to Vulcan (Picard)? Vulcan is part of the Federation, and has representation on the Federation Council. I haven't read the full "Path to 2409" series, so maybe I missed something, but it's a little confusing to me.
They only detect cloaked alpha ships when the plot demands it. Worf and Martok have used cloaks effectively in battling the dominion.

But I do wonder if they have cloaks, also. They never bothered to explain where Eris beamed off DS9 too, in the Jem' Hadarr if I recall correctly. (maybe they did mention a cloaked ship maybe, but if they didn't they implied it).

I'd assume that various planets in the Federation have ambassadors to other fed worlds in an effort to foster an understanding of each other. Thats just a guess. I don't know if there is any canon detailing how the Federation works and how planets are represented in that body that I know of. If there is a Federation Guide to its Governing systems bible, I'm betting it doesn't make much sense either.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 43
# 113
02-11-2013, 02:54 PM
so far the best question has been the one about the comms systems, thats something thats annoyed me since the 90's!

is tuvok the only black vulcan?

expanding on that, why are humans the only species with any kind of ethnic diversity?

if q is omnipotent then surely he isnt subject to the laws of time (an assumption on my part), so therefore why does he always seem so suprised by the decisions of humans?

where did gowron get that godawful coat? medals and lapels on a grey trench coat? he dresses like a hobo..

did datas quarters smell like cat wee, and feline supplement 75?

couldnt transporters theoretically be used to cure every illness, and injury known to man?

most importantly...what are the federation defense plans for minos korva?


O O O O

Last edited by altai8008; 02-11-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,355
# 114
02-11-2013, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by altai8008 View Post
is tuvok the only black vulcan?
No, his wife's black too...

There was also an Asian Vulcan in Search for Spock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by altai8008 View Post
expanding on that, why are humans the only species with any kind of ethnic diversity?
I may be wrong, but I think I might've seen the occasional black Bajoran... Klingons have the same kind of ethnic diversity as Humans though, both Gowron and Martok were pretty white...

Quote:
Originally Posted by altai8008 View Post
if q is omnipotent then surely he isnt subject to the laws of time (an assumption on my part), so therefore why does he always seem so suprised by the decisions of humans?
It may be incredulity rather than actual surprise Equally, he might only be omnipotent to events which he has no direct interaction with much like how the Doctor did not know that he was the cause of Pompeii...

Quote:
Originally Posted by altai8008 View Post
where did gowron get that godawful coat? medals and lapels on a grey trench coat? he dresses like a hobo..
Gowron was mad as a bag of frogs, I doubt anyone dared tell him... But same goes for Connor MacLeod in Highlander... The guy's been around about five hundred years, but dresses like a sex offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by altai8008 View Post
did datas quarters smell like cat wee, and feline supplement 75?
Yes. Like R Kelly's sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by altai8008 View Post
couldnt transporters theoretically be used to cure every illness, and injury known to man?
In reality, yes... Just send the ill person through, and rather than rematerializing them from the pattern saved when they were dematerialized on that occasion, just rematerialize them to an older pattern when they were healthy. (Would only work for illnesses/injuries a person develops though, it wouldn't work for any congenital defects they'd had since birth...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by altai8008 View Post
most importantly...what are the federation defense plans for minos korva?


O O O O
THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!!!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 199
# 115
02-11-2013, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by altai8008 View Post
expanding on that, why are humans the only species with any kind of ethnic diversity?
Actually, in a lot of sci-fi (not just Star Trek), I often find that the opposite is strangely true. Crews will encounter primitive cultures that have no even developed intercontinental sailing techniques, and are at times still at the tribal level, and yet there will be members of the tribe of all races and colours. An example of oversensitive PC-ness seeping into our media in ridiculous ways.

That said, I'm glad that Voyager introduced the concept of other Vulcan ethnic groups, even if they didn't state the subject outright. It's something I'd wondered about for a while. Plus, Tim Russ is a great actor and has a wonderful voice (something that they noticed at EA when they brought him on board for DA:O - a fabulous and sci-fi heavy group of voice actors there).

Also, there have been some attempts at showing ethnic diversity on other worlds. The Cherons in TOS and the Aenar in ENT are two examples.
Career Officer
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 902
# 116
02-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Klingons have the same kind of ethnic diversity as Humans though, both Gowron and Martok were pretty white...
Interestingly, both the actors playing Gowron and Martok were white. As was the actor playing General Kang and of course what's his face that Christopher Lloyd played.

Porthos is not amused.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,077
# 117
02-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by janusforbeare View Post
I have a STO lore question. Why does the Federation need an ambassador to Vulcan (Picard)? Vulcan is part of the Federation, and has representation on the Federation Council. I haven't read the full "Path to 2409" series, so maybe I missed something, but it's a little confusing to me.
The U.S. and United Kingdom are part of the the U.N. and they still have ambassadors between the two countries. I imagine that the UFP works similar.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 289
# 118
02-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
The U.S. and United Kingdom are part of the the U.N. and they still have ambassadors between the two countries. I imagine that the UFP works similar.
Yup.

Wiki says:

"A diplomatic mission is a group of people from one state or an international inter-governmental organisation (such as the United Nations) present in another state to represent the sending state/organisation officially in the receiving state."

"A permanent diplomatic mission is typically known as an embassy, and the person in charge of the mission is known as an ambassador."
"Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 199
# 119
02-11-2013, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
The U.S. and United Kingdom are part of the the U.N. and they still have ambassadors between the two countries. I imagine that the UFP works similar.
The concept is a little different though. Picard wasn't the Earth ambassador to Vulcan, he was the Federation ambassador to Vulcan. Also, the UN isn't really the best analogy for the Federation, since the UN has very little executive power. The best contemporary analogy I can think of is the EU, though there are still some differences between the two organizations (a centralized military, for instance).

Does the EU have its own ambassadors in member countries? I personally don't know. The concept seems redundant to me (in the EU or in the Federation), since members have their own representation on the governing committees of both bodies, but I suppose it's possible.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,077
# 120
02-11-2013, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by janusforbeare View Post
The concept is a little different though. Picard wasn't the Earth ambassador to Vulcan, he was the Federation ambassador to Vulcan. Also, the UN isn't really the best analogy for the Federation, since the UN has very little executive power. The best contemporary analogy I can think of is the EU, though there are still some differences between the two organizations (a centralized military, for instance).

Does the EU have its own ambassadors in member countries? I personally don't know. The concept seems redundant to me (in the EU or in the Federation), since members have their own representation on the governing committees of both bodies, but I suppose it's possible.
I realize that, but since the Federation is made up of multiple planets and the U.N. just one the analogy still holds up.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:06 PM.