Cryptic Studios Team
# 31
02-05-2013, 02:32 PM
It also irks me that nearly anytime they visit a city, on a planet, that city is named the same as the planet.

Think of how many cities we have on Earth. None of them are "Earth City." And even if there were one city named "Earth City" there would be dozens or hundreds of others that were not.
Only YOU can prevent forum fires!

Rihannsu
# 32
02-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
It also irks me that nearly anytime they visit a city, on a planet, that city is named the same as the planet.

Think of how many cities we have on Earth. None of them are "Earth City." And even if there were one city named "Earth City" there would be dozens or hundreds of others that were not.
This kind of stretches to planets as well.

Humans - Earth yet;

Cardassians - Cardassia
Vulcans - Vulcan
Romulan - Romulus
Bajorans - Bajor
Trills - Trill

The list goes on.

The only one that really breaks the mold is Qo'nos and even then they were originally going to name it Kling, but felt it sounded stupid.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 33
02-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
This kind of stretches to planets as well.

Humans - Earth yet;

Cardassians - Cardassia
Vulcans - Vulcan
Romulan - Romulus
Bajorans - Bajor
Trills - Trill

The list goes on.

The only one that really breaks the mold is Qo'nos and even then they were originally going to name it Kling, but felt it sounded stupid.
That's because there are multiple languages on Earth. Sometimes in Science Fiction Humans are called Terrans, and the Latin word for the Earth is Terra.
Quote:

Well Rome had Roma. Its similar to my above point; There's too many languages on our planet for tropes that should exist but don't.

Last edited by atatassault; 02-05-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 34
02-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Quote:

Welcome to Cryptic City... Please do not kill any of the bugs they are our friends after all
Starfleet Veteran
# 35
02-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
That's because there are multiple languages on Earth. Sometimes in Science Fiction Humans are called Terrans, and the Latin word for the Earth is Terra.
Not to mention that our solar system is often referred to as the Terran System.

@greendragoon
Career Officer
# 36
02-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
Not to mention that our solar system is often referred to as the Terran System.
Its actually the Solar System. Our star's proper name is Sol.
Rihannsu
# 37
02-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Quote:
you're thinking of "Sol system" not SolAR....

@ Taco: I like to think of it as just our names for their stuff.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 38
Quote:
No, it's Latin name is Sol and science-fiction authors generally use that name to distinguish it from other stars. It's proper name in English is still "Sun".

That said, I do prefer the name "Sol" as a matter of principle.
Captain
# 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by diotw View Post
Here's a Voyager question. I've been watching the series all the way through for the first time (just starting season 7 now), and I'm wondering, does Seven of Nine actually hold some sort of Starfleet rank once she's made part of the crew? I mean, they give her a badge, but they also gave one to Neelix and Kes. She also seems to order around a lot of the other characters, and if she's a civilian passenger, you'd think a few more of them would have a problem with that.
Let see..shes smarter than most of engineering combined, spends her sleeping hours reading books beamed into her brain, has enhanced strength to the point she could be security, has Data level reflexes when she wants them, has intimate knowledge of millions of species due to the borg assimilating them, wears a catsuit with a +1 modifier for making males and females ogle her and has nannites that with the EMHs help, can be the Mcguffin of many episodes...

...I think the crew quite rightly listens to her as shes basically plot advancement on two legs
Career Officer
# 40
02-05-2013, 03:17 PM
Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_City,_Missouri

Only one I know of - and I would doubt any alien would want to go there

BigMike of subspace-radio.net

Tune in every Monday Night 11pm East/0400 GMT for PvP action!