Survivor of Romulus
# 11
02-05-2013, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
[,,,[
However, a Romulan faction would make more sense in having nothing to do with New Romulus except for what the Captains decide to do. [...]
I don't understand that notion. New Romulus is, in my opinion, perfect for a STO Romulan faction. They will be allied with both other factions, so participating in, say, Task Force Omega to fight the Borg, in events like the 2800 arc, even fights against the True Way, just make a lot of sense.

By contrast, a Romulan faction that follows Sela, the Tal Shiar, and the Iconians, could not possibly participate in all that.

Of course, there is a third Romulan faction in their current civil war... maybe they could walk a middle ground... but personally, I would be happy with a playing Romulan starship commander who follows D'Tans leadership... it would just work best within the overall STO story.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
Rihannsu
# 12
02-05-2013, 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post
I don't think it would be tied to the C-store. They tried that with the "Adventure Packs" for Champions Online.

The result was that the Adventure packs sold quite poorly, so they simply unlocked everything into the main game and set it up to emulate STO's Feature Episodes.
I dont mean the faction itself, that will almost certainly be free as that is how PW do things. i mean the ships, costumes, hirogen playable race, lock box keys etc.

if you play a romulan, there will be something to buy, or someway to spend money for starbases or whatever. they wont want to hinder that income by having people go through hoops to begin with.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Starfleet Veteran
# 13
02-05-2013, 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
I dont mean the faction itself, that will almost certainly be free as that is how PW do things. i mean the ships, costumes, hirogen playable race, lock box keys etc.

if you play a romulan, there will be something to buy, or someway to spend money for starbases or whatever. they wont want to hinder that income by having people go through hoops to begin with.
Oh I see. Almost certainly there will be paid Rommie stuff.

Allow me to revise my #3 prediction from above:

Romulans unlock as a playable race of either faction, but with an exclusive set of quests that end in Rommies joining the usual endgame grind alongside either faction. This makes most sense if the player is a New Romulan and not a regular Rommie.

Rommies will have a choice of free romulan-designed ship that may be exclusive to Romulan captains. I predict you will be able to choose from the 3 most common rommie ships (BoP, Mogai, D'deridex). Based on stats and likely performance they will be closest to the Klingon class trinity (BoP/Raptor/Battlecruiser). Feds finally get a battle cloak ship and a BoP-equivalent. The ships may or may not be unlocked for all faction characters via the shipyard or starbase.

Shortly after, Cryptic debuts the Romulan Lockbox with a lockbox ship and lobi ship of original, 25th-century Rommie design. The new ships will have set synergy with the Reman and Romulan Rep equipment sets.

On the C-store, Cryptic debuts a Hirogen race unlock (possible, but also possibly not, since the Hirogen are allied with the "evil" romulans), a classic Romulan BoP replica ship (like the NX or TOS Connie).

Thoughts?
Rihannsu
# 14
02-05-2013, 03:44 AM
I think Romulans will start at level 30, 40, maybe even 50 itself.

its tricky when you only have like 4 canon ships to work with and 2, maybe 3 races. coupled with the fact they dont have the time to fully flesh out klingons anything more than that seems unlikely.

this will basically get them in the game, give them access to the endgame stuff, maybe some of the FE and any upcoming content. they will most likely use new romulus as their start zone, with some modifications and extra missions just for romulan players. they will also probably add their own starbase which will get even more people pumping in dilithium.

i am unsure if they will do a romulan lockbox itself. its possible but i doubt it. it depends what direction they go in.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Starfleet Veteran
# 15
02-05-2013, 03:53 AM
Quote:
I think Romulans will start at level 30, 40, maybe even 50 itself.

its tricky when you only have like 4 canon ships to work with and 2, maybe 3 races. coupled with the fact they dont have the time to fully flesh out klingons anything more than that seems unlikely.
This is why I don't think Roms will be a full faction. Not enough races, not enough ships (barring even more original designs).

And even though Roms were in demand as a faction, will people really flock to Rom content enough to endure the Dil/Rep/Starbase grind when they're already doing it for their Klinks and Feds? Cryptic already said themselves that fleshing out more Klink content is hard enough to justify when Klinks are in the minority, what more a move that risks splitting the overall level of investment across the existing factions?

IMO it's better business to unlock Roms in such a way that players can contribute to their ongoing Fed/KDF participation while still experiencing new content in a substantial way, hence my prediction from above.
Community Moderator
# 16
02-05-2013, 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopbang View Post
If we get a new Romulan faction... The devs might make it so you need to have T-5 ROM REP completed....
Very unlikely to happen.

And if it does? Meh, not like it's hard to hit T5 to be honest. I'd be ok with it I guess.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Captain
# 17
02-05-2013, 03:54 AM
Quote:
this will basically get them in the game, give them access to the endgame stuff, maybe some of the FE and any upcoming content. they will most likely use new romulus as their start zone, with some modifications and extra missions just for romulan players.
I'm for one would be totally happy with that. I already have four characters, when I make a new toon I don't do it so I can run through all the episodes over and over but to try new playstyles and ships. So the closer to endgame they start, the better.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-05-2013, 04:32 AM
I could easily see New Romulus being updated more, Romulans and Remans being an option in the character creator (either as an addition we all get or, much more likely, as new race unlocks in the Z-store), and a Death Knight or Pandaran-like process of leveling a bit to get some background and story relative to New Romulus and its growth before returning to / choosing your faction and continuing along the same episodes that Klingons and Federation players share on to end-game (i.e. being like the KDF, with regards to story, and only having differences in the first episode).

Romulan and Reman ships would become available via the Z-store to both factions for folks who don't have more character slots or who don't want to make a Romulan or Reman. Romulan and Reman characters would get regular ship unlocks via the faction they belonged to if you didn't feel like buying these ships. Maybe you start out with a notable faction-specific ship, though.

A couple of STFs that deal with New Romulus fighting off the Tal Shiar, the empress, and perhaps even Iconian nonsense would be added for end-game.

That would be the easiest way to make a new "faction" and seem, to me anyway, to offer new options via the Z-store that align with how other unlocks have been added to the game.

However if it's a full-blown copy of the KDF (as I highly doubt we'll see either the KDF or anything added for Romulans match fed content) that could be pleasantly surprising and offer additional racial choices in character creation if Romulan allies were included.

In any case, if it's just lockbox stuff and a couple of store items, that would be a little disappointing compared to the hype given via the announcement page and dev/Dstahl comments posted here on the forum. But not wholly surprising.
_______
equal parts cynical and helpful

Last edited by synkr0nized; 02-05-2013 at 04:35 AM.
Career Officer
# 19
02-05-2013, 04:42 AM
I nearly misunderstood the subject of this thread. In any case if you think that's bad think about a new faction = new Fleet base, embassy, the reputations......all...over...again.

Enjoy.
Kirk's Protege - 19/11/2012
Kirk's Protege Jr - 30/05/2014
[1/5 5:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 964780 (1581938) Kinetic Damage(Critical) to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
Starfleet Veteran
# 20
02-05-2013, 05:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcademaster View Post
I'm for one would be totally happy with that. I already have four characters, when I make a new toon I don't do it so I can run through all the episodes over and over but to try new playstyles and ships. So the closer to endgame they start, the better.
For the record I'd rather a Rom faction not start at 50 unless having an existing 50 is requirement for starting one.

Why? Then you'll get a poop-ton of newbs starting Romulans and entering the endgame with zero conception of how to play the game, even less than the newbs that got to 50 through missions only and enter ESTFs with skittleboats and whine that their c-store ships don't make them uber.