Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,545
# 21
02-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugspatteredjack View Post
You know, I signed up for a Klingon Character the other day and to my utter amazement my first ship assigned as the basic model was a BoP with ALL UNIVERSAL Bridge officer layouts and a Battle Cloak!

I found myself thinking, why the hell can't more ships (i.e. The Defiant) be equipped this way? The Mobius is pretty close to this admittedly (bar battle cloak obviously)
OH HELL NO. For the love of God do NOT turn this into another Defiant Battle-Cloak thread...
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 956
# 22
02-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
OH HELL NO. For the love of God do NOT turn this into another Defiant Battle-Cloak thread...
What he said. IMO the only time Feds will EVER get a chance at having a battle cloak is if they add Rommie Birds-of-Prey to both factions, following my theory about what's gonna happen in May (Roms released as a sub-sub-faction/race unlock that comes with exclusive starter missions).

Otherwise...no. Let the KDF have their thing.
Commander
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 316
# 23
02-06-2013, 06:11 PM
so the Mobius is better than the fleet defiant?
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 956
# 24
02-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan5000 View Post
so the Mobius is better than the fleet defiant?
[Edit: Turns out the Fleet Advanced has 5 Tac consoles too, thanks, mrgrocer56!]

The Mobius is certainly better than the regular Defiant-R, but a FLEET Defiant-R...at that point it ALMOST comes down to build/gear/tactics. But...yes, the Mobius edges it out in the end, if only for reasons of a slightly higher shield modifier and the flexibility offered by the Mobius' universal boff slots. With a Uni Ltc and Uni Lt, you can do a lot of different things with a Mobius that the Fleet Defiant can't. Plus the Mobius gains extra perks for folks with a Wells and/or Temporal Set, so it has more gimmicks by default.

However, almost no other Fed ship turns or moves as fast as the Fleet Defiant, and no other ship in the game than the Bug has 5 tactical consoles (I think). And of course, no other Fed ship besides the Gal-X (which has no Fleet version) is compatible with a cloak either, even if it isn't a battle cloak. The Fleet Defiant has some terrifying First-Strike potential. In what few PVP matches I've played at the endgame levels I've seen skilled Defiant players MELT ships with 50-60 times the crew and supposed durability.

That said, it's almost a given that a lockbox ship would be expected to slightly outclass even a shipyard Fleet ship. In terms of the relative amount of money spent, a Mobius costs far, FAR more than any Fleet ship. At the maximum a Fleet Defiant will only cost $30 (Cost of C-store Tac-R + 1 Ship module, discounting whatever resources you dumped to get your Starbase to Tier 5). If you got your Mobius by Lobi alone you probably paid up to $200.

Last edited by unangbangkay; 02-06-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 207
# 25
02-06-2013, 08:49 PM
The fleet advanced escort also has five tac consoles and the fleet saber has the same base turn rate as the fleet defiant
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 956
# 26
02-06-2013, 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrocer56 View Post
The fleet advanced escort also has five tac consoles and the fleet saber has the same base turn rate as the fleet defiant
Thanks for clarifying.

Sadly, the Fleet Saber has significant issues of its own, the least of which being its pitiful shield modifier. Turning the extra ensign tac from the Fleet Defiant into an Eng helps a tiny bit, but it's simply not enough. Too much glass, too little cannon, which is sad, because I'm of the opinion that the Saber-derivative designs (Ushaan, Gladius, etc.) are among the most attractive original STO designs.
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 207
# 27
02-07-2013, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post
Thanks for clarifying.

Sadly, the Fleet Saber has significant issues of its own, the least of which being its pitiful shield modifier. Turning the extra ensign tac from the Fleet Defiant into an Eng helps a tiny bit, but it's simply not enough. Too much glass, too little cannon, which is sad, because I'm of the opinion that the Saber-derivative designs (Ushaan, Gladius, etc.) are among the most attractive original STO designs.
The tooltip shield modifier listed on the Fleet saber is FALSE. Please understand that! Dontdrunkimshoot has done extensive research on the lower tiered ships that got bumped to fleet level and ALL of their shield numbers come out much higher than the listed figure indicates. I fly a fleet saber on one of my toons and its shields are almost dead even with the Fleet Patrol Escort. This one mistake has frightened many off from a wonderful ship. To see the numbers and raw data of the research, please look in his ship build thread stickied at the top of the PVP board. I successfully fly the Fleet Saber in ANY (PVE, PVP) type of mission in the game. It's criminal that Cryptic has let this mistake continue for so long.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 956
# 28
02-07-2013, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrocer56 View Post
The tooltip shield modifier listed on the Fleet saber is FALSE. Please understand that! Dontdrunkimshoot has done extensive research on the lower tiered ships that got bumped to fleet level and ALL of their shield numbers come out much higher than the listed figure indicates. I fly a fleet saber on one of my toons and its shields are almost dead even with the Fleet Patrol Escort. This one mistake has frightened many off from a wonderful ship. To see the numbers and raw data of the research, please look in his ship build thread stickied at the top of the PVP board. I successfully fly the Fleet Saber in ANY (PVE, PVP) type of mission in the game. It's criminal that Cryptic has let this mistake continue for so long.
At the top of the PVP board, so that's why I never see it

Anyway, that's very gratifying to hear, because the Saber's a pretty ship. Is there a discount for owning the Gladius refit? Because at that point I'd have to think about getting one.
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 207
# 29
02-07-2013, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post
At the top of the PVP board, so that's why I never see it

Anyway, that's very gratifying to hear, because the Saber's a pretty ship. Is there a discount for owning the Gladius refit? Because at that point I'd have to think about getting one.
I know, the whole PVP stigma and all lol, but DDIS is, IMO one of the top number crunchers and ship builders out there. His info is really helpful! Unfortunately, there is no discount for the Gladius owners out there. Lots of stuff conspiring against my beloved Fleet Saber, The Little Escort That Could lol
Ensign
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 29
# 30
02-07-2013, 08:21 AM
Interesting about the tooltip shield modifiers being wrong, what do you reckon the chances are they'll be fixed during today's maintenance?

Is the fleet Akira carrier any good, I haven't seen anyone mentioning it, or is that aspect of it a mere novelty?
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:25 AM.