Empire Veteran
# 1 Federation "Fleet Tor'Kaht"
02-05-2013, 09:41 PM
I've been playing KDF primarily, but Cryptic's unwillingness to put any effort into KDF content has me thinking about switching back to playing a fed.

Can anyone recommend a good federation ship that will play similiar to a Fleet Tor'Kaht with beam arrays?

My goal is something with:
~10 movement
Lt and LtCmdr tactical stations
Lt Sci station
Ensign and Cmdr engineering stations
Captain
# 2
02-05-2013, 09:54 PM
My Breen Warship is the only thing I've flown Fed side that can compare to my Fleet Tor'kaht KDF side. Even that is more Tac focused, so if you're wanting it for tanking, it still falls short. Though, paired with an Engineer it can definately hold it's own. If you have one from the winter event on that char, definitely unpack it and give it a whirl.

All the C-Store cruisers are pretty slow(8 or less turn), and none have quite that layout for Tac/Eng, though the Excelsior and Regent are close.

If you're willing to drop the massive EC for it off the exchange, the Galor is very close, but if you go with the Lt. Uni being Tac, you'd have only one Sci Ensign. You'd gain access to the great beams it has, [acc]x2[dmg]x2 Disruptors with Phaser procs on top.
Empire Veteran
# 3
02-06-2013, 12:58 AM
The Fleet Excelsior is an excellent ship. The Ambassador, while not being as good as that, can still be a very good ship anyways.

A D'kora if you want it can turn pretty well, especially in battle mode. It can also still use DHCs and tank like any other cruiser, while having the Tac slots to be nice as well.

Empire Veteran
# 4
02-06-2013, 05:26 AM
After a bunch of reading, it looks like the Odyssey Tac cruisers actually have the same BOff layout as the fleet Tor'Kaht, but with
- more hitpoints
- far less maneuverability
- one more sci console
- one less tac console

I'm thinking one of those, with a RCS console in place of one of the two Neutronium consoles I'm used to running on my Tor'Kaht might feel similar? Maybe?

Damn it, you feds need a true battlecruiser.
Captain
# 5
02-06-2013, 05:34 AM
Hah. First you complain about the lack of KDF content, now you're complaining about the lack of Fed ships that fit your niche...seems like nothing satisfies you. My advice is to stick with the KDF. Content schmontent. Who needs it when you have Fleet Torkahts? It's not as if all endgame content isn't crossfaction anyway at this point. As an individual with 9 toons apiece on both sides, I can tell you that the endgame plays pretty much the same, except the KDF side has less annoying base layouts, better ships, and Marauding. Does the Federation have marauding? I DON'T THINK SO. The Feds may have more toys, but quantity is not quality. The quantity of toys churned out reflects an ongoing dissatisfaction as each new toy proves inadequate, not a sign of better attention.
Captain
# 6
02-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadix1 View Post
After a bunch of reading, it looks like the Odyssey Tac cruisers actually have the same BOff layout as the fleet Tor'Kaht, but with
- more hitpoints
- far less maneuverability
- one more sci console
- one less tac console

I'm thinking one of those, with a RCS console in place of one of the two Neutronium consoles I'm used to running on my Tor'Kaht might feel similar? Maybe?
Not even close. You need to get the Operations Oddy console to be able to toss off the saucer, which brings it up to standard Fed cruiser turn roughly, but takes the HP down to about the same as well. So, you're looking at buying the three pack if you want a tactical console layout. Even then, you'll need more than one RCS, due to them stacking against base turn, to get close to a Tor'Kaht.

You might see if the Tribble test server still has an Oddy dispenser on the ESD counter, and then try them out there before spending 5K Zen on Holodeck. You might be one of the people that takes a shining to the space whale.