Career Officer
# 1 Bigger Starbase & DS9
02-05-2013, 09:55 PM
Yeah, I know this has been brought up (and shot down) before but with so many new and HUGE ships, it's getting kinda unfeasible that they can fit in the ESD shroom.

I mean, we have a nice window in the shipyard to the inside docking area where all the new ships get parked, but we're getting into Dr.Who's area of "It's bigger on the inside!" shtick.

The old ESD was a much larger structure, so it's not like Cryptic can't do bigger.
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!

Captain
# 2
02-05-2013, 10:00 PM
If the devs could scale up ESD and DS9 whilst retaining the current level of detail, I'd be satisfied.

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots
Republic Veteran
# 3
02-06-2013, 04:48 AM
I would also like to be able to pilot my ship right inside ESD and manually dock
Career Officer
# 4
02-08-2013, 04:57 AM
I'm afraid I'll be one of those to shoot down this idea. Why? Because it's unessential. There is no actual purpose to enlarge Earth Space Dock or Deep Space Nine. They've got their size for a reason (even though DS9 is currently oversized). Either way, having a structure that allows for each, individual player to 'self-dock' would require a stupid number of docking ports.

There are what, 100 people per instance (at the max)? Say half of those decided they'd all like to dock at the same time, it wouldn't be possible. The sizes of ESD, DS9 and other bases are at their perfect size required for the game. We don't all need to dock at stations before beaming over to them; you don't see starships docking at planets before people can beam down.

I'd rather Cryptic focus on the essentials. Sorry.
Career Officer
# 5
02-08-2013, 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
I'm afraid I'll be one of those to shoot down this idea. Why? Because it's unessential. There is no actual purpose to enlarge Earth Space Dock or Deep Space Nine. They've got their size for a reason (even though DS9 is currently oversized). Either way, having a structure that allows for each, individual player to 'self-dock' would require a stupid number of docking ports.

There are what, 100 people per instance (at the max)? Say half of those decided they'd all like to dock at the same time, it wouldn't be possible. The sizes of ESD, DS9 and other bases are at their perfect size required for the game. We don't all need to dock at stations before beaming over to them; you don't see starships docking at planets before people can beam down.

I'd rather Cryptic focus on the essentials. Sorry.
Agreed. If anything, DS9 needs to scale down as it's currently comically oversized. Scale that sucker down and change the spawn point when you exit to somewhere outside the pylons. No reason to be packing everybody in there.

ESD is, whatever. I've always had to employ some suspension of disbelief about that thing. How big must it be just to have multiple Connies and the Excelsior in there? What about the identical base in "11001001" where the Ent-D was able to pull its fat saucer right in through the space doors? Yeah... I think we just need to take that whole thing with a wink and a nod.
Career Officer
# 6
02-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave85 View Post
Agreed. If anything, DS9 needs to scale down as it's currently comically oversized. Scale that sucker down and change the spawn point when you exit to somewhere outside the pylons. No reason to be packing everybody in there.

ESD is, whatever. I've always had to employ some suspension of disbelief about that thing. How big must it be just to have multiple Connies and the Excelsior in there? What about the identical base in "11001001" where the Ent-D was able to pull its fat saucer right in through the space doors? Yeah... I think we just need to take that whole thing with a wink and a nod.
So, would ESD cause tides on Earth? Also, if that thing ever deorbited...

Porthos is not amused.
Career Officer
# 7
02-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegepark2151 View Post
So, would ESD cause tides on Earth? Also, if that thing ever deorbited...
Probably look something like this:

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...1920117950.png
Career Officer
# 8
02-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave85 View Post
Poor Sydney...

Porthos is not amused.
Republic Veteran
# 9
02-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegepark2151 View Post
Poor Sydney...
sydney? try poor australia in general judging by the size. something the size of a city like LA or New york could cause an extinction event worst case scenario.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 10
02-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Skylab already fell on Australia, they've prepared.
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?