Starfleet Veteran
# 1 Fixing useless consoles
02-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Stealth module, I'm looking at you.

After looking at the results of this thread, it seems abundantly clear that some or many of the consoles available are significantly less useful than a select few.

For this thread, I propose that people give feedback on the utility or futility of various consoles. Hopefully the devs can give some insider information on the rate at which some of these seemingly useless consoles are used by players, and then use the feedback we provide to tweak some of them. Please try to keep feedback constructive and concise so that the devs aren't driven away by excessive torches or pitchforks.

So, back to the Stealth Module. It may be useful for extreme niche builds, but the cost of a console slot seems to greatly outweigh the benefit of even a mk xii purple stealth module. Enemy science vessels can still detect and decloak even the stealthiest PvP BoP.

I personally haven't found much use for the power boosting consoles; even a +4 power boost to any statistic seems fairly trivial when efficient boffs or other consoles can achieve the same result with added perks.

Since the EPS Flow Regulator was tweaked a ways back, its effectiveness is limited to those who have reason to quickly adjust their power levels in battle. While this is a useful ability, even a few spec points into the appropriate skill seems to suffice for most purposes.

The Directed Energy Distribution Manifold and the Prefire Chamber understandably do not provide as much of a boost as their more specialized brethren, since they provide a uniform boost to all energy types. (I will leave the torpedo and mine boosting consoles out of this, since they are useful for B'rel cloaked harassment builds.) Even so, "rainbow" builds are pariahs in STFs and in PvP, because they sacrifice the almighty DPS for additional procs.

What other consoles do you feel are underpowered? What, exactly, is wrong with them? How can they be fixed? Should they be fixed? Or is the problem more in the skills and abilities that rely on these consoles?
Starships: Model errors and feedback project, 2410 edition.
Captain
# 2
02-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatinblueblazes View Post
Since the EPS Flow Regulator was tweaked a ways back, its effectiveness is limited to those who have reason to quickly adjust their power levels in battle. While this is a useful ability, even a few spec points into the appropriate skill seems to suffice for most purposes.

The Directed Energy Distribution Manifold and the Prefire Chamber understandably do not provide as much of a boost as their more specialized brethren, since they provide a uniform boost to all energy types. (I will leave the torpedo and mine boosting consoles out of this, since they are useful for B'rel cloaked harassment builds.) Even so, "rainbow" builds are pariahs in STFs and in PvP, because they sacrifice the almighty DPS for additional procs.
EPS flow regulators are useful for Beam Overload. Past that, I cannot say/care. DEDM and CPC are both sub-optimal but still useful. So them I would keep, despite their shortcomings.

As for other consoles I don't see a use for/find to be sub-optimal to the point of not having any use? Bio-function monitors. Crew count is so frakked up in this game it doesn't really seem to make much of a difference. Same thing for Emergency Forcefield Consoles, countermeasure systems, and shield emitter amplifiers.

As engineering consoles go? SIF generators. I don't see them being useful outside of VERY specific circumstances.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
02-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
...Bio-function monitors. Crew count is so frakked up in this game it doesn't really seem to make much of a difference. Same thing for Emergency Forcefield Consoles...
Totally true. I actually forgot about those, since they're so utterly useless. It seems as though the whole concept of crew would have to be given an overhaul to make me care about the people under my command. I realize that they contribute passively to hull regeneration, but that scarcely makes a difference in a PvP or eSTF scenario.

I'll concede that EPS flow regulators can be useful with Beam Overload.

Many of the science consoles seem to be underpowered, but this is perhaps more a function of science abilities being too easily resisted or shrugged off.
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
02-06-2013, 02:46 PM
Here is a partial list...add as needed:

I used only the ones in red

SCI: Stealth Module
Sensor Probes
Power Insulator
Countermeasure System
Inertial Dampeners
Flow Capacitor

Graviton Generator
Particle Generator
Emitter Array
Field Generator
Power insulator
Biofunction Modulator
Shield emiter amplifier

ENG: Injector Assembly
Field Emitter
Plasma Distribution Manifold
Diburnium Hull Plating
Parametallic Hull Plating
Diburnium Hull Plating
Electroceramic Hull Plating
Ablative Hull Armor
Monotanium Alloy
Neutronium Alloy

boster modulator
duranium alloy
tritanium alloy
victorium alloy
polyduranium alloy
tetraburnium hull armor
RCS accelerator
Emergency force field
SIF generator
EPS flow regulator

TAC: Directed Energy Distribution Manifold
Warhead Yield Chamber
Prefire Chamber

Variable Geometry Detonators
Transphasic Compressor
Polaron Phase Modulator
Photon Detonation Assembly
Tetryon Pulse Generator
Ambiplasma Envelope

Chroniton Flux Regulator
TCD Subspace Infuser
Plasma Infuser
Disruptor Induction Coil
Antiproton Mag Regulator
Phaser Relay

Warhead Yield Chamber
Directed Energy Distribution
Zero Point Quantum Chamber
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
02-06-2013, 02:55 PM
The Directed Energy Distribution Manifold would be useful if it actually buffed all beam weapons.

It doesn't. For instance, the Kinetic Cutting Beam. Why they chose to exclude this boggles my mind. It would have made the Directed Energy Console a heck of a lot more popular.

Also, they don't have a console for Subspace Decompiler at all. I wish they did. It would make Viral Matrix a lot more useful.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
02-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader2007 View Post
Here is a partial list...add as needed:

I used only the ones in red...
That's a great list. Thank you for compiling it. Would you mind if I eventually edit the OP and incorporate it? Hopefully I can gather the feedback from the thread and consolidate it into one post for ease of reading.

I find myself in agreement with regards to the KCB and Directed Energy Distribution Manifolds... although I seem to recall that the devs set the KCB's damage per second fairly high to offset the lack of console buffs. Also, the KCB benefits pretty substantially from the borg tractor beam from the original borg 3-piece set. Still, it would really breathe life into DEDMs.
Commander
# 7
02-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
As for other consoles I don't see a use for/find to be sub-optimal to the point of not having any use? Bio-function monitors. Crew count is so frakked up in this game it doesn't really seem to make much of a difference. ...
Your not the only one.

Ever cross check what embassy consoles are offered vs. what science consoles there are?
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
02-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatinblueblazes View Post
That's a great list. Thank you for compiling it. Would you mind if I eventually edit the OP and incorporate it? Hopefully I can gather the feedback from the thread and consolidate it into one post for ease of reading. .
Go for it and don't mind it at all...Have fun
Captain
# 9
02-06-2013, 08:00 PM
I do find it funny that people exalt the Plasma Distribution Manifold and shun the other three.

You do realise that they all do the same thing of adding (up to +4) power to a subsystem and that you can move said power to the system of choice using the slider without any losses at all what so ever.
Rihannsu
# 10
02-07-2013, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc10b View Post
I do find it funny that people exalt the Plasma Distribution Manifold and shun the other three.

You do realise that they all do the same thing of adding (up to +4) power to a subsystem and that you can move said power to the system of choice using the slider without any losses at all what so ever.
I suspect there are many players who are not aware you can fine-tune your power distribution at all.