Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Galactic News Network
Login

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,885
# 71
02-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nierion View Post
All the projects are limited time but as long as you had them in progress or queued you wouldn't lose them. But for some reason Cryptic decided to change the rules on this one at the last minute, it wouldn't bother me so much if we knew from when it all started.
We did know when it started it was limited....Also it does not take a rocket science that when the Christmas event was over and the ornaments were no longer dropping that the Project needed to go if a fleet never got it, Unlike the other limited projects where you still can get what you need in game after the limit project was over.

Paid for by the down with Bajor Party
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,223
# 72
02-09-2013, 12:47 PM
How on earth were rep projects ever allowed to be released without a player option to cancel projects on their own?

It's the kind of thing you wouldn't even believe if someone told you, unless you saw it for yourself. It's just unfathomably ridiculous design.

This really should be one of the things on the current fix agenda.
--------------------------------------

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom

Last edited by tsurutafan01; 02-09-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 182
# 73
02-09-2013, 04:59 PM
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...=1#post7976601

Here's one who is anxious to have that project removed.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 316
# 74
02-09-2013, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
We did know when it started it was limited....Also it does not take a rocket science that when the Christmas event was over and the ornaments were no longer dropping that the Project needed to go if a fleet never got it, Unlike the other limited projects where you still can get what you need in game after the limit project was over.
They did also state there would be an alternative solution. I don't really see this as a solution personally. It just seems Cryptic can't even get the simple aspects of their game right sometimes and their business strategy sometimes seems (forgive the pun) cryptic.

When it comes to forward thinking & planning, it does seem to be somewhat lacking. On a side note; there is so much potential with this game, it just sometimes feels like they don't see it all the time.


"We're doing it wrong, but it's working...."
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,011
# 75
02-10-2013, 03:58 AM
First Rule of MMO Patches: Someone will complain about anything you change, including nothing.

If they did nothing, people would whine all year about how they can't get rid of the project, and thus can't complete any other special projects.

If they converted it into a standard dilithium-based project, people would whine about being forced to spend 200k dilithium.

If they completed it for free for fleets that still have it unfinished, people who did finish it would whine about other fleets getting it for free/cheaper than they did.

If there was an option to cancel projects, people whould whine about accidentally canceling, fleet leaders arguing about whether to cancel and then someone just cancelling it unilaterally, etc. And they would surely whine about not getting back the stuff they put in.

And if it gave back the stuff, peole would whine about not being able to use it anymore...it never ends.

Some people just wanted to be rid of the project, looks like they won. Probably because unlike the others who will eventually forget about it, they would have reason to complain as long as that project is clogging up the slot.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,963
# 76
02-10-2013, 04:12 AM
This is kind of tricky, as if people have not completed it by now, chances are they have reached a point where they cant and its just now holding up future progress.

However it does feel like they should have designed this with a little more foresight. the best solution is to give people the option to cancel it themselves. maybe thats a bit more coding required but the option is there and people can make the choice.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 145
# 77
02-10-2013, 09:26 AM
Lets see if i can more civily say what i was saying before.

If an entire fleet is fine with it staying unfinished until christmas 2013, then why would it effect any other fleet?

does it hogg resources being active? or is this a move by cryptic to insure the 200k dilithium projects will be doable by all?

heres an option no one discussed, an ec and or zen purchaseable package of needed commodities for it for my fleet it was beads.


especialy once the mases saw this post and started selling the beads and other commodities for more, thus making it more expensive to complete. in fact i thought the beads and bells requirement shoulda been lower than the other commodities as they were the rarest ones.

also i do remember that they mentioned an alternate way to complete the mission, is this that alternate way?

and what of the lowering dilithium requirements for the normal limited time ones? you can't even use zen to buy a decent chunk of dilithium anymore. it's been reversed since season 7 regardless of if the devs designed that or it just naturaly happened it has happened.

resulting in dilithium as low as 88 every now and then buys one zen and one zen only buys 2 dilithium less than it cost to get.

this is redicolous as if you went to a bank and exchanged a $2 bill you'd get two $1 bills not 1 and 98 pennies. so why should the market be able to short you coming back from zen to dil?

anyways back on topic, this is very heavy handed to FORCE people out of a project becuase of the ones who want out, and honestly i think it's more along the lines of if a fleet is stuck on winter event project, then the 200k dilithium sinking fluff ones get made for nothing.

I would akin this to Sexual harrasment, if you don't allow sexualharrassment, then why forced project closing. no means no, no means no!

Formerly Jewkesman Member from Nov 2009! :smile:
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 145
# 78
02-10-2013, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunfyr View Post
What part of "limited time" is a foreign concept to you people??? It's not like Cryptic didn't tell you that this would eventually go away.....hence the term "limited time".

then how about the Limited time ones that require dilithium dissapear if you don't complete them by the time the next one rolls out?

becuase go look dude all of the special projects say limited time, so if one will dissapear even if slotted and active, after a certain date then that date should be given upfront or more than a week and soe days in advance.

not evryone can play STO 22/7 365. So grinding out the rarest most expensive on the exchange items can be difficult for the ones who can play 23/7 365.

look at the current one, it says the same as the winter limited time, but becuase it has dilithium cost of 200k it can stay for as long as the game is live without being plucked out. so show me the big difference if you remove the name winter/holiday from the holiday one and add a dilithium cost or make it only a dilithium st. then whats the difference?

Again this is heavy handed. and why should any fleet care if the next fleet can't get passed a project anyways?

Formerly Jewkesman Member from Nov 2009! :smile:

Last edited by rjewkes; 02-10-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 145
# 79
02-10-2013, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Awww.... I like it.

anyways though, I like the fact that people won't be stuck with it half-completed indefinately.

I don't really get why people are upset about it being removed. It's been a MONTH since the supply of the commods dropped to a trickle. Prices are only going to go up from here....

realy what happens when someone comes along and throws out a half copleted project of yours without your consent in the real world? do you say oh guess i ran out of time? or do you get upset with them?

same concept this isn't hey would you like t drop the mission? it's hey we dropped the mission and converted all your zen totalling 50k into 1k dilithium to help start the next project then charged you 2k dilithium for this change and you now owe us 3k dilithium.

Formerly Jewkesman Member from Nov 2009! :smile:

Last edited by rjewkes; 02-10-2013 at 09:52 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,474
# 80
02-10-2013, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
This is kind of tricky, as if people have not completed it by now, chances are they have reached a point where they cant and its just now holding up future progress.

However it does feel like they should have designed this with a little more foresight. the best solution is to give people the option to cancel it themselves. maybe thats a bit more coding required but the option is there and people can make the choice.
Exactly, Revo! It's just too bad that Cryptic spits in the face of suggestion and simply do what they please! We are the players and we are the reason why they have jobs. The Community Manager specifically should look at the feedback and here and say to the development team, we are making a mistake! People want options, not to be told when they can finish something and the Reputation System in all forms should of had this built in from the very beginning. So, Brandon! Did you truely mean what you said in the one thread before it disappeared a while back? Do you really speak for the players or do you just deliver what you are told told to say by your boss and that's that?
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:00 AM.