Ensign
I know they're making an arcadey/shootemup Star Trek game with the new time-line and as much as i love the new trek's i'm thinking more Star Trek Armada/Bridge Commander/Elite Force quality type games within the original era we all know and love.

Is it now just too old/outdated for NEW innovate trek games or do you think we'll see some more in the future?
Career Officer
Ensign
# 3
02-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
You might want to check out this page:

http://stexcalibur.com/
Wow incredible, im sure this is something we've all wanted for years! I hope they pull it off!
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
02-08-2013, 09:05 AM
There's some serious question if STE will ever actually come out. I think we've had that argument on this forum before, but basically, they've been working for so long with so little except mockups to show for it, and even some of the people who've contributed to it say that there's serious doubt they even have what they say they do (which isn't much to begin with), because only a couple people actually have access to most of it.

Bridge Commander 2, another indie project, started years later and has at least had some test builds and as of last week an alpha that actually has some playable elements to it.

https://www.facebook.com/stbc2

As for commercial licensed games, probably not, because the last two companies that had the license had problems with poor sales, and the industry's currently a hostile place when it comes to putting a real budget behind a niche licensed game - at the very least the franchise needs a solid track record of good sales, and Star Trek doesn't have that because of the sheer volume of poor games that have buried the good ones.

Right now Trek's best chance for a commercial video game release is probably a Lego Star Trek game. TT Games has proven they can crank those out crazy fast on tiny budgets, and they've already worked with major rival franchises in the past so Lego Star Wars is unlikely to stand in the way.

Last edited by hevach; 02-08-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Captain
# 5
02-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Holy lawsuit bait batman...

If anyone thinks they can honestly pull off a game based on Startrek, but not bother getting permission from CBS first... Well it's their time and money, which will be gone after CBS's lawyers are done with them.
Lieutenant
# 6
02-08-2013, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptvanor View Post

If anyone thinks they can honestly pull off a game based on Startrek, but not bother getting permission from CBS first... Well it's their time and money, which will be gone after CBS's lawyers are done with them.
This is one of many reasons that if I was building a new game I would go for a new story. Of coarse, I'm just a syfi fan, not a trekkie

Anyway, I assume you are talking about a standalone game not an mmo?
Rihannsu
# 7
02-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Enh.. if you aren't making money off the project what can they really sue you for?
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Show Archon and Borticus how much you would like to see new Doff races!
Career Officer
# 8
02-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptvanor View Post

If CBS wanted, they could have pulled the plug the day they took over the franchise... Or Paramount could have for that matter...

No winnings, no law suit.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
02-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Enh.. if you aren't making money off the project what can they really sue you for?
Quite a bit, actually, the law allows you to collect what the licensing fees would have, and the damages built into copyright law don't require anyone involved to actually make or lose money.

Actually collecting is a different matter, though, the actual likely result would be bankrupting everyone involved and CBS not even getting their legal fees back. Which is why cases like this usually end with a takedown order.

Last edited by hevach; 02-08-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Captain
# 10
02-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
No winnings, no law suit.
Wrong.

CBS can point to that game and claim it would impact the profit of STO, because people might quit playing this to go play that. That was the argument Marvel used when they sued CoH.

Just because you don't charge money doesn't mean you can't get sued for IP violation. A company must actively defend their IP/trademarks/copyright or else they can lose it.