Career Officer
I sent the following to DStahl after the 3rd Anniversary Q&A on RedAlert channel, and wanted to open it up to the community to see if they have some ideas or constructive feedback for how to make the mail system better, improve player's quality-of-life, etc.

The Mail system feels very limited. A few things I've noticed that could be improved:
  • I cannot use a search query on my mails (only sort by Date, From, Subject)
  • No sent box, only inbox.
  • I cannot copy and paste the text of mails I've received (which can be particularly frustrating for long URLs since hyperlinking is not available).
  • Attachments are not visible unless at a mail console. This is rather dangerous as it leads some people to delete mails with valuable items.
  • Cannot sort by attachments.
  • Attachments are limited to 5 slots.
  • Address book of friends or fleetmates.
  • No noticeable way to send mails to more than one player (tried separating handles by both commas, and semicolons) or to a subsection of the fleet (say, only the officers, or ranks X,Y, and Z).
  • It was once possible to at least read our in-game mail on the forums. Perhaps adding this functionality to Gateway could work now that the forums are using the same code across all PWE games?

The Exchange has gotten some attention lately and I'm hoping that some time can be made to improve the Mail system since a lot of players use it daily.
Fleet holding costs | Accolade Points: 18020 (Fed Engineer), 16400 (KDF Tactical)
Subscribe to Accolade thread | Join channel Accolades | Idea: Mail Revamp
New on STOwiki: Spire projects | STO Timeline | Fed-KDF Disparity | upcoming content
Fed Fleet: Section 31 (level 20) | KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence (level 20)
Ensign
# 2
02-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Seconded that attachments should at least be indicated even when you're not at a console (maybe with a "go to a mail console to retrieve" message). I've deleted more than one "Item returned" message, then realized I just lost the item. (Fortunately, nothing valuable. Yet.)

How about letting us delete more than one email at a time? (Or do I just not know how to do that?)
Commander
# 3
02-08-2013, 12:54 PM
I would appreciate the function to select and delete more than one mail at a time.
Cryptic's shamefull history with the KDF

http://www.stowiki.org/User:Peregrin...ryptic_Studios
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-08-2013, 01:02 PM
indeed, the mail system is nearly a complete fail. the only good thing about it is that it works, but it's like the person who designed it had never used a private messaging system at all in their life. searching, sorting by attachments, and a sent box are desperately needed. address book, folders, and multiple recipients would be nice, as well as copy and paste.
Fleet: Stargate-Union
Pizza: Pepperoni
Kalek shel'tek!

"Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu
Career Officer
# 5
02-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripph View Post
Seconded that attachments should at least be indicated even when you're not at a console (maybe with a "go to a mail console to retrieve" message). I've deleted more than one "Item returned" message, then realized I just lost the item. (Fortunately, nothing valuable. Yet.)

How about letting us delete more than one email at a time? (Or do I just not know how to do that?)
Indeed, not sure why they took out this function in seeing there was something in the mail, but you had to go to a mailbox to get it.

Also I like to see:

1) The Mail Pop-up message "You have to be at a mailbox" to go away and have it replaced with Red Text at the bottom of mail that has attachments.

2) An Attachment Icon being added?

3) Be able to see the Information window when hovering over attached items. (Which is handy for DOFFs).

4) An Unsend Function. If you mistyped a person's account, that mail is gone. So be nice you could bring it back, especially if it has an attachment.

5) An Error message if an account in STO does not exist.
Rihannsu
# 6
02-08-2013, 02:31 PM
The mail feature is just about the worst thing in the game. it literally is just the ability to send and that's it.

even if we got a couple of the above suggestions it would be a major step forward.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 7
02-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Definitely some great ideas so far. I particularly like the idea of being able to delete multiple emails at once.
Fleet holding costs | Accolade Points: 18020 (Fed Engineer), 16400 (KDF Tactical)
Subscribe to Accolade thread | Join channel Accolades | Idea: Mail Revamp
New on STOwiki: Spire projects | STO Timeline | Fed-KDF Disparity | upcoming content
Fed Fleet: Section 31 (level 20) | KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence (level 20)
Career Officer
# 8
02-11-2013, 11:30 AM
I would think that maybe the exchange should have its own tab, its not always nice to have a spam of dozens of mails from the exchange hiding important ones.
Delirium Tremens
Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
Nothing to do anymore.
http://dtfleet.com/
Visit our Youtube channel
Captain
# 9
02-11-2013, 12:03 PM
EDIT: Never mind, I misread the post.

I tried setting the exchange mail as spam, but I still keep getting the messages. Oh well.

It's frustrating to when you sell a large number of things like data samples.

Last edited by tc10b; 02-11-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Career Officer
# 10
02-11-2013, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc10b View Post
The attachment icon used to be there prior to S7. It showed you exactly what the item was too, only the take button was greyed unless you used a mail terminal.
There was no attachment icon, you saw what was attached. What I mean by attachment Icon is icons you see from the subject line indicating there is an attachment with that PM.

Quote:
It does also tell you if the user doesn't exist, but you have to try to send the mail first.
No, it does not. I've sent mail that shouldn't existed, and never got a warning. Nor have I ever gotten mail with attachments returned as Cryptic claims it would.

Quote:
Then they changed it to what it is now and call the "tough luck" card when something is accidentally deleted.
That's how it's been since beta.

CSR's typical response is "sorry, go redo the mission". Which was even funner before they actually had mission replays.

Quote:
In short, treat in game mail like the real mail and don't send anything more valuable than the stamp via it.
Easy to say.
Closed Thread