Career Officer
# 101
03-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bwild1 View Post
What they are trying to say is that in the avg week - the avg player does not log on every day and do the max or 8x7 = 56k

So 50k would actually be an much higher weekly refined total that say 80% of the player base normally does.

Hence - it will NEVER happen. Why - less sales of Zen to the weekend warriors that want things now.
It would be... and how many people currently refine 56k a week WITHOUT doing 6 Space ESTF optionals? Because at that point, you're back up to 56k.

And I think the idea that they don't want people refining more dilithium is a big, BIG assumption. One that goes against public comments.

And just because people refine more doesn't mean there has to be more in circulation.

Consider how the ZEN sales don't affect dilithium-ZEN rates right now. The people buying absolutely don't have the time, I'd venture to say, so cheaper ZEN or more dilithium probably won't budge the price dramatically anymore because neither one seems to have budged the rate in recent months; the error in assuming it would (and it's one I've made) is in treading dilithium as a commodity when it probably isn't quite a commodity since its functions are all intangible. Dilithium in that sense is less like gold or copper and more like milkshakes. We're at a fairly stable "psychological value" for ZEN.

And the number of dilithium sinks will always increase.

The real trick is just making sure that the amount of time needed to hit the basic weekly cap is roughly in line with the maximum average time the average player is willing to spend.

If it's less, you may see slight drop-offs in dilithium buying. (Although I'd wager stipends amount for a big chunk of this and that Cryptic wants stipends spent down.) If it's more, well... I don't think the market would change. In fact, we could be well over that number right now given that it takes 28 hours a week of "average play" to hit the refinement cap. (PvP and ESTFs are probably not "average play.")

I can say personally that I'd buy NO LESS dilithium if I was refining more, within reason. I'd just have more satisfaction.

It may sound odd but it goes to why I'm starting to think commodity models are wrong for dilithium and the real metric Cryptic needs to target is, effectively, what is the maximum amount of playtime per week that the median player wants to devote to the game.

And part of my pitch in all of this is also that I think Cryptic needs to train people to contribute around 10k dilithium per week to fleet projects.
Captain
# 102 Dilithium cap not very high
03-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Maybe you hear this many times heck I don't know sorry for it.
But my question is this why is the Dilithium cap only 8000 when there are projects around 14.000 or even higher it doesn't make any sense to me ?

Anyone else have an opinion on this ?
Career Officer
# 103
03-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk2390 View Post
Maybe you hear this many times heck I don't know sorry for it.
But my question is this why is the Dilithium cap only 8000 when there are projects around 14.000 or even higher it doesn't make any sense to me ?

Anyone else have an opinion on this ?
My account cap is nearing 100,000 dilithium refining per day, so to be honest, I do not see the problem.

I rarely ever find myself with more than 8000 unrefined dilithium on a single character.
Captain
# 104
03-07-2013, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Two reasons.

One it lets them control how quickly you can buy things with Dilithium. A 8k/day cap means that if something costs 16k it will take you 2 character/days to earn it. If you have 2 characters both can refine 8k...

Second, because then people will buy Dilithium with zen which means money for Cryptic/PWE.
Career Officer
# 105
03-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalspock View Post
My account cap is nearing 100,000 dilithium refining per day, so to be honest, I do not see the problem.

I rarely ever find myself with more than 8000 unrefined dilithium on a single character.
lol we all dont have the time or will to grind with 10+ toons..
Career Officer
# 106
03-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinru821 View Post
lol we all dont have the time or will to grind with 10+ toons..
I rarely "grind". I play whatever I feel like playing. My point is, if you wanted to earn more than 8000 refined dilithium a day, you can easily do it by purchasing another character. Therefore, I do not really see the cap as a problem. Once in a while, I will get more than 8000 dilithium on one character, like my Klingon who somehow managed to get a lot of Capture and Hold missions at the same time (8 I think) and turned them in for 11000+ dilithium, or my main, who get the dilithium reward bonus from reaching T 5 on both characters. But it is a pretty rare occurrence.
Captain
# 107
03-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Then it's probably me gut my hands full with my main and only char so I'll stick to that, and sorry I buy ZEN to buy stuff not that I can't buy anything special for my KDF so I grind to get stuff...
But I'm certainly not going to buy ZEN to convert it to dilithium... No Thanks
Career Officer
# 108
03-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Then it's probably me gut my hands full with my main and only char so I'll stick to that, and sorry I buy ZEN to buy stuff not that I can't buy anything special for my KDF so I grind to get stuff...
But I'm certainly not going to buy ZEN to convert it to dilithium... No Thanks
If you do not want to have more than one character, that is fine, but the option for you to refine more than 8000 dilithium a day certainly exists. You simply are not availing yourself of it.
Empire Veteran
# 109
03-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Multiple characters.
That is all.

This is the first game I have ever played. ever. that i had alts. Why? Dilithium. Cryptic isn't making a penny off of me because of it because I am a lifer but non-lifers will have to spend money to have alts, if I understand correctly.
Commander
# 110
03-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalpen View Post
Multiple characters.
That is all.

This is the first game I have ever played. ever. that i had alts. Why? Dilithium. Cryptic isn't making a penny off of me because of it because I am a lifer but non-lifers will have to spend money to have alts, if I understand correctly.
Um, if you are a lifer then they made (200 on sale)-300 bucks off you right there.