Commander
# 1 Auto-Launch Carrier Hangers
02-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Not to to be patronizing, but just to be clear on what I'm talking about? In computer science's object oriented programming languages/methods there is a thing call a destructor. It's not a feature of the game, it's a feature of the system. When the computer is done with a object is calls the destructor for instructions on how to clean up anything that needs cleaning up.

My suggestion: A client keep track keep of the number of fighter or frigate pets it has out at any one time. Any time the server tells a client it has lost a pet it calls the destructor or when a hanger is ready to launch it checks the fighter tally and does one of two things:

1) If in combat, and more then a full wing is lost, it launches a new wave when able.

2) If not in combat and not a full strength, it launches a new wave until it has full strength.

-------

Honestly, most of using carrier pets (when your not busy doing something else) is just spamming the launch button for a abysmal lack of feedback.
Captain
# 2
02-04-2013, 04:11 PM
I would like to once again forward my idea of making fighters "non disposable". It would make your notion obsolete.

Currently when you launch fighters, you don't expect to get them back. It's actually impossible to get them back. They are disposable in every sense of the word, which is downright insane with the cost of building fighters and training fighter pilots.

So, my notion is to overhaul carrier mechanics. When you click Launch, every single pet you are capable of deploying is rapidly dumped into space. Where a pet currently becomes destroyed, it would instead become "crippled" and fly back to your carrier and enter your hangar bay (i.e. fade out a short distance away). Your current Auxiliary power level, as well as the presence and quality of flight deck officers, determines how long it takes to get that fighter back into the fight.

Therefore, your carrier automatically has the maximum number of pets in play at all times. Some fighting and some being repaired. Your role as captain is then to determine when to launch your fighters and when to recall them, and NOT hold the flight deck officer's hand and tell them it's okay to launch each new wing of suicide bombers.
Commander
# 3
02-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post
They are disposable in every sense of the word, which is downright insane with the cost of building fighters and training fighter pilots.
Presumably they just replicate new fighters and beam the pilots back before their fighters blow up.
Commander
# 4
02-04-2013, 11:31 PM
I like the idea of not having having WII zero fighter pilots ...

... That said, giving the client a simple counter to watch and take action is a trivial thing. At least it I think it would be.
Captain
# 5
02-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishkin View Post
Presumably they just replicate new fighters and beam the pilots back before their fighters blow up.
This is exactly it (Minus the replication thing). Next time you get a chance watch a suicide run Jem'hadar attack ship pet.

They actually say "Setting autopilot for impact. crew ready for emergency transport."
Career Officer
# 6
02-04-2013, 11:57 PM
Quote:
I would like to once again forward my idea of making fighters "non disposable".
Well, once they train fighter pilots to not loiter next to exploding ships, I'd be all for something like that!

Currently, fighters are so dumb, I don't think there are pilots in there. Just rudimentary AIs. So the whole replicate new fighters works.
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!

Rihannsu
# 7
02-05-2013, 02:33 AM
Auto-relaunch would be useful. Then again autofire would be useful for almost all abilities. It would even be more realistic for the captain to be able to tell a boff to hit a tactical team or emergency power to shields when the shields are damaged, or to always activate cannon rapid fire when you give the order to fire instead of waiting you to order it separately every time. And certainly your boffs can use their abilities automatically on the ground...

But some people would say it would make the game too easy. I might even be one of them. It certainly felt that way when I briefly tried one of those those keybinds that link several commands into a single key. Well that, and really annoying as it interfered with normal activation of abilities (as if I needed any more of the "click the ability repeatedly until it activates" -problems), so maybe it balances out.

However, there really needs to be some way of keeping track of how many fighters you've got out. The number-on-the-launch-button is probably the best way of implementing this.
Commander
# 8
02-05-2013, 09:41 AM
I think that it does make sense that hangars should count as weapons for the purpose of assigning auto-fire.

That said, there are plenty of cases where you don't want to auto-launch, for example if an enemy ship is about to explode near to you, or a heavy projectile is about to detonate that might just wipe out your fighters as soon as they launch.

I'd much rather have fighters that can avoid taking damage before they make auto-firing hangars.
Ensign
# 9
02-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Quote:
I would like to once again forward my idea of making fighters "non disposable". It would make your notion obsolete.

Currently when you launch fighters, you don't expect to get them back. It's actually impossible to get them back. They are disposable in every sense of the word, which is downright insane with the cost of building fighters and training fighter pilots.

So, my notion is to overhaul carrier mechanics. When you click Launch, every single pet you are capable of deploying is rapidly dumped into space. Where a pet currently becomes destroyed, it would instead become "crippled" and fly back to your carrier and enter your hangar bay (i.e. fade out a short distance away). Your current Auxiliary power level, as well as the presence and quality of flight deck officers, determines how long it takes to get that fighter back into the fight.

Therefore, your carrier automatically has the maximum number of pets in play at all times. Some fighting and some being repaired. Your role as captain is then to determine when to launch your fighters and when to recall them, and NOT hold the flight deck officer's hand and tell them it's okay to launch each new wing of suicide bombers.
One of the features I would like to see is some kind of Pet management interface. I usually just spam the launch button, simply because I don't know how many fighters I still have that are alive out there. Doesn't hurt to spawn 2/3 fresh ones right?

Health indicators would go a long way....
Career Officer
# 10
02-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frelsi777 View Post
One of the features I would like to see is some kind of Pet management interface. I usually just spam the launch button, simply because I don't know how many fighters I still have that are alive out there. Doesn't hurt to spawn 2/3 fresh ones right?

Health indicators would go a long way....
Pretty much this. I have the launch command on my spacebar keybind, so as I'm cycling buffs I'm also cycling fighters. It seems if you have more than 1 full wing, it'll replace the weakest ones, so that's OK. It's never not useful to push a fresh set out, especially since they all love to tan in core breaches.