Lt. Commander
Here is something that I found very helpful during my time with triggers:

Type conversion!

There are several type of triggers in game: Kill, Reach, Interact, Dialog prompt reached, Objective in progress.
So what if you want a specific thing to happen if the player Killed an enemy mob and Entered a specific region and Interacted with a console. Though luck, you can use only 1 type of trigger event. Here is where th type conversion comes in handy!

You can convert any and all type of events into map dialog prompts!

You killed the enemy mob? Your Tac BOFF adds a random comments, "Finally, that was the last of them!"
You entered the specific region? Your Sci BOFF adds a random comments, "My tricorder shows something, we should proceed with caution!"
You interacted with the console: Your Eng BOFF adds a random comments, "There is power in the console, but the input is blocked"

That is it, you converted the 3 different type of actions into dialog prompts.

With those things done, you will get a little outside help in a form of a dialog text.
That map dialog will not be triggered by the kill/reach/interact triggers, but by 3 dialog prompt reached triggers including "Finally...", "My tricorder...", "There is power..."

Your BOFFs may be a little verbose at times, but it will make the triggering a lot easier! With that, 95% of trigger checks can be done via Dialog prompt reached.

Last edited by pendra3780; 02-08-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Career Officer
# 2
02-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Yes, this is a very good trick. I have used it often. It allows us to convert multiple trigger types into a single type.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Community Moderator
# 3
02-26-2013, 01:44 PM
A little confused... may I rephrase and tell me if I'm getting it wrong?

1. You can use more than one trigger on an object, but only if they are all the same type? OR, you can use a trigger on more than one object, but only if they are all the same type?

2. You get around the restriction by adding a pop-up dialog that's triggered by something else you did, and then using that "Dialog prompt reached" instead?
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-26-2013, 08:29 PM
You can use more than one event to trigger something. Just click on the small + sign to add more events.

All events have to be the same type. You can add 3 interacts, but not 2 interacts and a reach marker.

Of course one event can be present in multiple triggers.

Yes, the idea is to throw a map dialog after every trigger or reach marker which is used in a more complex trigger (ie having at least 2 triggering events). This way you can check interacts, reach markers and dialogs at the same time.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-27-2013, 03:44 AM
So if you add more triggers with + sign, are they combined with OR or with AND?

Also if you only have 1 line BOFF comments is there a different between "on dialog prompt reached" and "component [dialog-bubble] completed"?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allocater View Post
So if you add more triggers with + sign, are they combined with OR or with AND?
AND

Quote:
Originally Posted by allocater View Post
Also if you only have 1 line BOFF comments is there a different between "on dialog prompt reached" and "component [dialog-bubble] completed"?
I don't know if that still stands, but the dialog completed used to be bugged. The dialog completed used to act as an OR. If at least 1 dialog was completed, the trigger was fired. Because of that, I never really used it.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
02-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Last I checked, component complete is AND and dialog prompt reached is OR.

@greendragoon
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-27-2013, 02:18 PM
Normally everything should be AND. Maybe they fixed the Dialog completed option and broke the Dialog Prompt Reached in the meantime.

In any case, I preferred the dialog prompt reached, because it is more flexible. Especially if you make some branching based on dialog pathways. If you talk to someone nice then later on, he will talk you nicely or the other way. You can tailor this using dialog prompt reached only, since the dialog will be successful either way (nice path, rude path...).
Captain
# 9
02-27-2013, 03:17 PM
I think they fixed the bug that allowed for either... or.

People are telling me that the trick I used in part 5 of triggers no longer works. It has to be AND. So, this is what makes Pendra's trick not fire the trigger when only one of three is selected.

Last edited by kirksplat; 02-27-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Career Officer
# 10
02-28-2013, 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
I think they fixed the bug that allowed for either... or.

People are telling me that the trick I used in part 5 of triggers no longer works. It has to be AND. So, this is what makes Pendra's trick not fire the trigger when only one of three is selected.
While it's unfortunate we can no longer do OR options this way, in a way I'm happy if it's been fixed. Sometimes it comes in handy to have something occur after several dialogues.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.