Career Officer
This is basically a suggestion to help out healers. This game is almost completely devoid of support from support classes for one reason-

It is a pain in the butt to heal people in this game!

Selecting a friendly target is bad enough, but to then re-acquire your original target... I believe this is why so few people get healed in STO, and this suggestion is intended to put value back into the healing role.

Its actually very simple. Allow every player to simultaneously target a friendly and a hostile target. If the player clicks on a buff or heal, it is applied to the friendly target, as soon as cooldowns allow for it. If its an attack, its applied to the enemy target.

Simple, effective. It even allows for engineers and tacs to have some support roles with lighter emergency heals/buffs.

This applies for both space and ground combat.
Community Moderator
# 2
02-11-2013, 11:38 AM
It's already there; look at the little "pin" on the display when you have something targeted. Target a friendly and pin him; voila, he's your focus for "good" effects. Then target somebody else; voila, they're your target for "bad" effects.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Career Officer
# 3
02-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
It's already there; look at the little "pin" on the display when you have something targeted. Target a friendly and pin him; voila, he's your focus for "good" effects. Then target somebody else; voila, they're your target for "bad" effects.
well slap me and call me sally.. I never knew this!

awesome.
Career Officer
# 4
02-11-2013, 12:11 PM
there's also the F keys (F1 = self, F2 to F5 for team mates) that can be used to arget
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Yes, I want targettarget, so that I can heal/buff the team member that is currently attacked by the borg cube.
Captain
# 6
02-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachobizniz View Post

Its actually very simple. Allow every player to simultaneously target a friendly and a hostile target. If the player clicks on a buff or heal, it is applied to the friendly target, as soon as cooldowns allow for it. If its an attack, its applied to the enemy target.

Simple, effective. It even allows for engineers and tacs to have some support roles with lighter emergency heals/buffs.

This applies for both space and ground combat.
this is actually how the game was when it first came out and till about season 4.

you could heal a friendly through an enemy.

now the heal only applies to yourself.

no one knows why this is, and the ingame tool tip still says you heal through the target.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Commander
# 7
02-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deyvad View Post
there's also the F keys (F1 = self, F2 to F5 for team mates) that can be used to target
F keys are a starship captain's best friend!

I use a Logitech G13 gamepad and Extreme 3D Pro joystick. Both hot keyed for group mates, myself, nearest enemy and next enemy as well as the rest of my hot bar.

Never had a problem with targeting anyone.
"Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8