Career Officer
# 1 ship powers question
10-06-2013, 09:48 AM
ok my jem dread has disable shields if i train an officer in beam overload will these 2 conflict?
Captain
# 2
10-06-2013, 10:35 AM
What rank are the respective abilities? That information would help...
----
Oh, my Sarr Theln... What have they done to you?
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
10-06-2013, 11:04 AM
I assume he means the built-in functionality of the Jem'Hadar Dreadnought's Target Subsystem abilities vs any tactical Boff's Beam Overload, in which case rank doesn't matter. The answer is that, yes, all tactical abilities that affect beam weapons will have a shared system cooldown, even if they aren't being used by a Boff (exception seems to be Romulan Hyperflux, but that's likely because it can only affect one specific weapon and not any beam weapon). However, you could easily activate and fire one of the Target Subsystem abilities in the time it takes Beam Overload to cooldown and vice versa, if neither is on its own personal cooldown.

The system cooldown on all tactical beam abilities is 15 seconds, the personal cooldown of Beam Overload when fully leveled is 30 seconds, the personal cooldown of built-in Target Subsystem abilities is longer, about a minute and a half, because it's the base ability and you can't improve the cooldown by giving it Boff points. So going from both abilities being immediately available, let's say you choose to activate Target Shields first. This puts Overload on a 15 second system cooldown and Target Shields on its 1.5 minute personal cooldown. In 15 seconds, you can activate Overload, putting it on its 30 second personal cooldown and, because Target Shields still has over a minute left on its personal cooldown, you see no change on its timer. 30 seconds later, you could activate Overload again, or if you had a second copy you could start alternating Overloads every 15 seconds, until Target Shields is available again.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.

Last edited by jbmaverick; 10-06-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Captain
# 4
10-06-2013, 11:23 AM
There's also an additional "double-tap" cooldown that was recently put in, which causes a shorter cooldown in case you "save" the buff (which lasts 30s or until expended) until you have another similar ability almost off cooldown.