Starfleet Veteran
# 1 Sol or Vulcan Sector?
10-01-2013, 04:18 PM
In STO the "home" sector of the Federation is listed as the Vulcan Sector, however the sector which contains Earth in the series was referred to as the Sol Sector/Sector 001. Even the 40 Eridani A star system was said to be within the Sol Sector, so is there a particular reason why STO calls this the Vulcan Sector?
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook

Last edited by amosov78; 10-01-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Captain
# 2
10-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Turn Vulcan into Federation Adventure Zone for lvl 10-25 players like Nimbus!!!

Visit my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Akurie369?feature=watch
Star Trek Online Florida http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1313161
Captain
# 3
10-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Maybe we're using the Vulcan star map database like in "Enterprise"?
----
Oh, my Sarr Theln... What have they done to you?
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
10-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffie369 View Post
Turn Vulcan into Federation Adventure Zone for lvl 10-25 players like Nimbus!!!
I'd prefer Andoria, at least then it'd have a reason for the map to exist.
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook
Captain
# 5
10-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Granted, my knowledge of facts that specific in episodes is sketchy at best, but when did they ever use "Sol Sector"? I only remember it being referred to as Sector 001.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
10-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerfan9751 View Post
Granted, my knowledge of facts that specific in episodes is sketchy at best, but when did they ever use "Sol Sector"? I only remember it being referred to as Sector 001.
According to Memory Alpha; it was called Sol Sector in the TNG Episode: Conspiracy & possibly on some dedication plates (Mem-A isn't specific on that part).

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Sector_001

But I think in general it's considered to be Sector 001 in ST lore. But I can also understand the lack of desire to use that in game as it sets the standard to label each sector with a number, which could be confusing (although probably not that confusing, as we rarely use sectors anyways). Maybe if we ever get the 'Sector Map to Rule Them All' Cryptic keeps talking about but never doing we could push for a sector re-name.

peter
Career Officer
# 7
10-02-2013, 06:46 AM
*Mixes fresh batch of continuity spackle*

Maybe sectors are formally designated with numbers. On any official chart, that's what it'll be labeled. However, people may casually refer to sectors according to what major star systems may be within it. If there are more than one, the person can use any of them as they choose. While Sol, as the seat of the Federation government, is the most notable system in the sector, it may be more "politically correct" to refer to it as the Vulcan Sector. The Vulcans had warp capability far sooner, and people may not wish to seem too Sol/human centric when they speak.
Captain
# 8
10-02-2013, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amosov78 View Post
I'd prefer Andoria, at least then it'd have a reason for the map to exist.
True that, I went there one time and was very confused by what I found.

Visit my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Akurie369?feature=watch
Star Trek Online Florida http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1313161
Captain
# 9
10-02-2013, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfreeman View Post
According to Memory Alpha; it was called Sol Sector in the TNG Episode: Conspiracy & possibly on some dedication plates (Mem-A isn't specific on that part).
Hm... Let's see...

*Once again goes to his handy - if somewhat outdated - Star Trek Encyclopida... 'Dedication Plaques'...*

Yeah...

Yeah, the dedication plaques for the U.S.S. Sutherland (Data's Nebula-class during the Klingon Civil War/Picard Blockade) and the U.S.S. Brattain (TNG: "Night Terrors") both have "Starfleet Command, Sol Sector" above the list of 'officers'/production crew responsible for the launching of the ship.

I know it would be breaking 'form', but why give it a name at all? Everyone familiar with Star Trek (and the vast majority of us are) knows what/where Sector 001 is. And it's not like they don't already have a 'Z-19 Sector' or something up in Romulan space...

Shockwave85 has a point, too, I mean - "Undiscovered Country", the dinner party just before the assassination, some of the Klingons were ready to go back to a hot war over the Federation having "inalienable human rights" in its documents and Azetbur, I think it was, even accused the Federation of being a "Homosapiens-Only Club"... They changed "Where no man has gone before" to "Where no one has gone before", even on the dedication plaques of Starfleet's flagship, so it wouldn't be surprising if they took other avenues to try and reduce the view of the Federation as a 'Humans-only Club'...
----
Oh, my Sarr Theln... What have they done to you?
Captain
# 10
10-02-2013, 09:41 AM
accoriding to the star charts, which seem to be the basis for the sector space map in this game, Sol System is located smack dab on the border of eight sectors.
Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
What's my position?
That people should know what they're screaming about!
(paraphrased from "The Newsroom)