Captain
# 11
02-10-2013, 05:09 AM
Compromise, eh?

Default On.

Option to set it to Off account wide as well as having to do it per character.

Don't remove the ability to set it individually, but add the option to set it for the account - so that for all current, any new, any rerolls, etc, etc, etc - that it's not something that you have to remember to set.
Vice Admiral Geist, Klingon Science Officer
V.S.S. Oracle, D'Kyr-class Science Vessel
Captain
# 12
02-10-2013, 05:51 AM
I think its a bad idea. I can already see the "oh you have these equiped ? they suck" "oh stupud build you noob" "wtf is a noob" and other eloquent lines from mature people viewing your build and gear while you are teamed up with them.
Captain
# 13
02-10-2013, 05:58 AM
Looking up players should have been a terminal usable at a Starbase through the client only. You should never have been able to access other player's info via a means that exists outside the place where the players play.

I hate the alliteration on that last sentence, but I think it gets my point across.

[EDIT]

Not that it needs to be said, but even through the in-game terminal you should *still* be able to opt out of sharing your info, preferably through varying security levels:

0. Fort Knox (No one can see your info)
1. Fellowship (Only people you are currently teamed with may look up you're info)
2. We Are Legion (Anyone in your fleet with may look up your info at anytime)
3. Town Horse (Anyone may look up your info at anytime)

Last edited by thegrimcorsair; 02-10-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Captain
# 14
02-10-2013, 07:10 AM
I think its a good idea to let people see what other people is running. Thats how they get to observe, learn and become better players during and after matches.
Co-founder of The Spanish Inquisition TSI - Cause no one expects it!

PaxOttomana: gawd mirror event is like fighting a tsi premade, they keep comin and comin!
Captain
# 15
02-10-2013, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devorasx View Post
I think its a good idea to let people see what other people is running. Thats how they get to observe, learn and become better players during and after matches.
Or they ask... hrmm... no privacy issues involved - no spying and building specifically to defeat a certain opponent based on how they're geared... hrmmm...
Captain
# 16
02-10-2013, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
Or they ask... hrmm... no privacy issues involved - no spying and building specifically to defeat a certain opponent based on how they're geared... hrmmm...
Ask or not i dont care. If people are curios how my ship is built up then let them. Being willing to learn has never been wrong, and frankly its faaaar from spying.

PaxOttomana: gawd mirror event is like fighting a tsi premade, they keep comin and comin!
Captain
# 17
02-10-2013, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Ask or not i dont care. If people are curios how my ship is built up then let them. Being willing to learn has never been wrong, and frankly its faaaar from spying.
Is there more willingness to learn from simply looking at something or in asking about how something is setup, how it is used, and well...learning?

And um, if I go and look at Tom's setup - see that he's using X Armor, has Y Weapons, and is using Z Abilities... so I take A Weapons, use B Armor, and C Abilities... so I have the better chance of winning, you wouldn't call that spying?

As I said earlier, we've got a great PvP ship building thread going. We've had great posts on different tactics, what to do in Situation 1 - Situation 2 - Situation 3. The community is very forthcoming with information for those with a willingness to learn and looking to learn.

Without any of the Tom's setup in a browser on a second monitor nonsense...so that when I see him in the queues, I can switch out weapons, armor, gear in general, as well as switch my BOFFs and DOFFs...
Captain
# 18
02-10-2013, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
Is there more willingness to learn from simply looking at something or in asking about how something is setup, how it is used, and well...learning?
What about both? This is why boot camp is in place; So people can ask as well as observe.
I dont get the hostility towards people who just wants to observe and learn from there. So petty imo.

Captain
# 19
02-10-2013, 08:06 AM
Quote:
What about both? This is why boot camp is in place; So people can ask as well as observe.
I dont get the hostility towards people who just wants to observe and learn from there. So petty imo.
It's not a hostility against people who want to observe - it's a case that it allows for more than just observation.

I don't get the hostility against people asking for help...

My stuff is set to private, but then again - all of my stuff is set to private. No fleet invites, no tells, no challenges, no trades, etc, etc, etc - I fly anon.

I share my flaky builds if asked, I don't have a problem with that - though, lol, I've been asked not to share them more often than I've been asked to share them.

Last edited by virusdancer; 02-10-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 20
02-10-2013, 08:46 AM
No thanks. It get my privacy invaded enough by my own government.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.