Captain
The Tal Shiar are kidnapping ambassador Picard on Vulcan to hold against the federation - can you rescue him in time?

Is this mission possible?
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
11-20-2013, 08:55 AM
Have to keep in mind that the End User License Agreement allows us to use the character of Captain Picard (or whatever his title is these days), but does not allow us to use Patrick Stewart's likeness.

I could see though that when you rescue him it could be like "OK Picard, we're going to disguise you as a Yridian to smuggle you out of Romulan captivity." That way you could put the character in a disguise that looks nothing like the actor.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Captain
# 3
11-20-2013, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
(or whatever his title is these days)
OP had it right, he's the Federation ambassador to Vulcan now. Which doesn't make much sense, IMHO: Why do they have an ambassador to a planet that's already a Federation member?

I honestly think the worries about the EULA are overblown, mainly because of the limits of the costume designer. When Scotty and McCoy show up in the Devidian story arc it's only a very vague resemblance (Scotty looks more like the JJverse version than James Doohan).
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
11-20-2013, 09:33 AM
Maybe it's one of those cushy do-nothing jobs so he can ride out his last few months before retiring.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Captain
# 5
11-20-2013, 09:45 AM
So you are saying you can't create the Picard character that looks like him in this game? That is pretty lame. So all the other characters we see have give permission for their likeness to be used but Patrick Stewart has not?
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
11-20-2013, 09:56 AM
From the EULA:

Quote:
You may not use the first or last names, likenesses, or other depictions of any actors appearing in, or writers, directors, or producers of the Star Trek Properties.
Cryptic can negotiate with the actors to use their likenesses. We cannot. However: there are a couple exceptions. Old man Worf now looks like Michael Dorn cause he's given Cryptic permission. We can use him as a talk-to-contact objective on the First City social map. Also there is a Romulan NPC contact that looks like Sela (Denise Crosby). I'd say that cause these are available we can use these until someone in authority tells us we can't.

The EULA is important cause even though something you create in the costume editor might not look like the actor to you, some opportunistic lawyer might decide it is and sue. If Cryptic starts getting sued over Foundry missions, they might get rid of the whole thing. Granted that's the worst case scenario, but I'd personally rather not risk it.

Here's a FAQ where they did outline some of the things that are allowed: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=271084
Captain
# 7
11-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
OP had it right, he's the Federation ambassador to Vulcan now. Which doesn't make much sense, IMHO: Why do they have an ambassador to a planet that's already a Federation member? .
I get the feeling that all Federation worlds have a level of autonomy. For example united earth has a navy and an independent space program, the UESPA.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Career Officer
# 8
11-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
OP had it right, he's the Federation ambassador to Vulcan now. Which doesn't make much sense, IMHO: Why do they have an ambassador to a planet that's already a Federation member?

I honestly think the worries about the EULA are overblown, mainly because of the limits of the costume designer. When Scotty and McCoy show up in the Devidian story arc it's only a very vague resemblance (Scotty looks more like the JJverse version than James Doohan).
Sarek was the Vulcan ambassador to Earth in canon. I guess you still need to keep relations cozy even between member worlds. Probably works as a liaison between the planets.
Lieutenant
# 9
12-15-2013, 07:57 AM
Sarek AND Spock have been the Federation ambassador to Vulcan and Lwaxana Troi was the Fed ambassador to Betazed so it seems every Fed world has an Ambassador for relations outside the Federation, and perhaps also within.
[COLOR=A TOS Time Travel Adventure[/color]
<font color=RoyalBlue>
Go back to Kirk's Enterprise and put right what once went very wrong...</font>