Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,459
# 71
02-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysmith1 View Post
Which I am looking forward to btw! Good to see a full on Tholian mission set at Nukara. Mine is just a mocked Romulan Story :/

Yeah I saw that map, it follows the show but don't leave room for the novels which STO has rights too. The Tholians are bordered with the Klingons and Federation whilst the Talarians are bordered with the federation yet close to Klingons and Cardassians too.
It took weeks of trial and error with memory-beta and I had to leave out a few races that were small or conflicting of location
it'll only be a small edit, nothing to worry about.. just a bit of text on where spoiler came from.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,174
# 72
02-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysmith1 View Post
THAY SMASH... hmm that worked quite nicley lol

I just did a thread with a galaxy map, I compared the many maps out there already and combined them onto the STO map, it worked quite nicely.

GALAXY MAP

Perhaps your people could originate in a sandwich between the Tholian Assembly and Talarian Space? That would give them a proximity to 6-7 various powers in that part of the Galaxy as well as the unexplored space beyond; towards the Galactic Barrier where they conquered so many primitive races.

Plus it would give the Talarians, a military based society an enemy it is on par with.
I was wondering about this so I looked at the bits I have from the Star Charts book. It has the Sheliak as living to the galactic west of the Breen, and the Tholians as living sw of the Cardassians. Also, the Son'a are near the Briar Patch.

Yours is pretty good though.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,459
# 73
02-11-2013, 02:52 PM
actually I could use the Talarians... maybe a throw my race and them into a war over the Woden system.

wait a sec.. by that map.. it puts me near the galactic barrier?

Last edited by thay8472; 02-11-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,174
# 74
02-11-2013, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thay8472 View Post
actually I could use the Talarians... maybe a throw my race and them into a war over the Woden system.

wait a sec.. by that map.. it puts me near the galactic barrier?
Oooh... I forgot that earlier.... The Galactic Barrier should be farther out. ~3-4 more sector blocks... I think.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Ensign
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 18
# 75
02-12-2013, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfrontiers View Post
Unfortunately not. The one is an asset (tribble) and the other and NPC (spider)
Darn... I had a funny idea for a mission in which a Borg sphere was disabled by an infestation of carnivorous tribbles that would then attack the players when one of them got cut on something.

I'm guessing there is no reliable way to make your Bridge officers go missing one by one either is there? I can probably think of a work around.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,263
# 76
02-12-2013, 05:19 AM
Before I sign myself up for a faction (Dominion looks good to me), I have a couple questions.

1) Once all spots are filled, will you (darkfrontiers) and the other authors have a get together and develop the storyline from there? Or are we all working in the dark, just building off of the previous author's storyline once it's published?

2) Is there a start date for the mission?

3) Is there a deadline? I'm currently handling two major missions at this point (one for the Foundry Challenge #6, due February something, and one for my personal tastes with a probable sequel). I don't want to stuff in a third mission right now - I could better handle the workload in about June or July.

4) If something comes up in my life that will prevent me from spending time on this mission, will there be an option to back out?

5) I'm sure this was mentioned, but I wasn't clear as to the answer - since we can't have the player's character actually become a different species/race other than KDF or FED, how are we going to cast the player? Third person, watching stuff happen? First person?

stardestroyer001, VA Explorers Fury | Retired STO Player
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More! | My Forum Gripes
PvP: PvP Boot Camp, the best newbie oriented training initiative in STO!
Ensign
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 18
# 77
02-12-2013, 06:51 AM
Judging from what is in the thread already, my guess on the answers is:

1) Dark has said he's putting together a small web forum to use to wiki our missions and discuss events which connect them, but that the story-telling behind the missions is something of a round table. One author presents Episode 1, and the next presents another story referencing those events but from another direction.

Example:

Episode 1: Easy Prey. The klingons behind to expand into unaligned Cardassian sectors which the Federation is not protecting.

Episode 2: Obsidian Shield - The Cardassians send delegates to the Federation asking for them to extend their protection to the besieged areas, promsing to bring the unaligned worlds into an alliance with the Federation.

Episode 3: Untrue way - A Dominion Taskforce is sent through the wormhole to aid the unaligned words against both the klingons and the Federation by fortifying the area with reinforcements.

... However, rather than us planning it ahead of time, the Author of episode 2 simply watches the events in Episode 1 and thinks... this would be the Federation's response, and plans a mission around it. The Author of Episode 3 watches both 1 and 2 and considrs what the Dominion response to these things would be, and so on.


2) Not as yet. We're in the early days of organizing things.

3) Again not as of yet. Dark has self imposed a deadline on himself in that if we want to have anything within this project start we need to wait until his starter mission is done. I think most people here are doing a Foundry Challenge as well. I know that I'm doing it pretty much only so that I can get useful feedback and push myself to finish a mission.

4) I'm pretty sure we all feel that life takes precidents over play. I know later this year I'll be way to busy with my Masters Disertation to right anything for a while. This is afterall a game and a community we're part of.

5) Basically, you use the heros and villains which you created from your faction as the plot points of the mission. Has a dangerous fugative escaped from the Domminion and your hero requires they player's help to track them down? Has a Vorta decided they are unable to stand the insolence of the federation any longer and launched a strike at Bajor? The mission is played from the point of view of the players who are Fed or KDF at your choice, but the mission is themed around your faction and static, recuring characters with in it.


This will be somewhat difficult for me... the Borg do not handle individuality well.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 403
# 78
02-12-2013, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Oooh... I forgot that earlier.... The Galactic Barrier should be farther out. ~3-4 more sector blocks... I think.
I know, just wanted to put it there to say to people (look at what we 'could' have in the future)... unfortunatly i have approached one of th emost debated topics in ST.

I edited the opening thread with planned changes
The main one being the Tholian territory being mainly south of Cardi Space but with tendril shapes out in all directions as they expanded, one of which crosses south of Son'a space (Was Talarian) and onto the Federation - Klingon - Gorn Border, that at the time of the novels could of been Klingon but was partly conquered in the first Gorn-Klingon War just before the Praxis incident....but thats all KDF now bitches




The reason I attacked this topic now was actually for Dark Frontiers, so we have a good idea of where everything is as STO grows and expands
ATTENTION: UNDINE SPACE & TKON GROUND SETS ALL THE WAY DEVS!.. Q-TRIBBLE, MAYBE!?.. EJECT WARP CORE ABILITY LIKE LAYING A SUPER-MINE, HELL YES!!!.. SPACE HIPPIES FROM TOS PLAYING MUSIC IN OUR FLEET STARBASE, NO, JUST, NO... CAIT & RA'KHOLN ADVENTURE ZONE, YES

Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,229
# 79
02-12-2013, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardestroyer001 View Post
Before I sign myself up for a faction (Dominion looks good to me), I have a couple questions.

1) Once all spots are filled, will you (darkfrontiers) and the other authors have a get together and develop the storyline from there? Or are we all working in the dark, just building off of the previous author's storyline once it's published?

2) Is there a start date for the mission?

3) Is there a deadline? I'm currently handling two major missions at this point (one for the Foundry Challenge #6, due February something, and one for my personal tastes with a probable sequel). I don't want to stuff in a third mission right now - I could better handle the workload in about June or July.

4) If something comes up in my life that will prevent me from spending time on this mission, will there be an option to back out?

5) I'm sure this was mentioned, but I wasn't clear as to the answer - since we can't have the player's character actually become a different species/race other than KDF or FED, how are we going to cast the player? Third person, watching stuff happen? First person?
I will initially develop the Klingon plot where the story line begins. Once I have completed this, this plot is past along to the other faction authors who can decide collectively or independently how their faction responds.

I will be started work on the mission over the weekend so you may need to give me a few weeks to complete. As you know missions take alot of planning. But, I will first pass my plot along before I start, so that the other authors can start their own. During this time, I am sure that there will be alot of collaborative ideas being shared.

There is no deadline. And yes, the author may come back to pick-up the mission progress at his own pace. Its about enjoyment in allowing ones story to feature in a persistent story.

The player will either be a Starfleet officer or a KDF officer that is pulled into the story/ events that surround the faction. The player will not be the faction, merely representative of the story being told about that faction. They are observers.

I hope that answers your questions.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,174
# 80
02-12-2013, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysmith1 View Post
I know, just wanted to put it there to say to people (look at what we 'could' have in the future)... unfortunatly i have approached one of th emost debated topics in ST.

I edited the opening thread with planned changes
The main one being the Tholian territory being mainly south of Cardi Space but with tendril shapes out in all directions as they expanded, one of which crosses south of Son'a space (Was Talarian) and onto the Federation - Klingon - Gorn Border, that at the time of the novels could of been Klingon but was partly conquered in the first Gorn-Klingon War just before the Praxis incident....but thats all KDF now bitches




The reason I attacked this topic now was actually for Dark Frontiers, so we have a good idea of where everything is as STO grows and expands
Hehe, I collected a bunch of data a while back because I was thinking about making a Galaxy map for a different game(Space Empires 5). I never did, but I learned a lot from researching the topic.

@DF: I was planning to write the Romulan missions as if you were a Romulan impersonating either Feds or KDF (not sure which yet)
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:16 AM.