Captain
# 41
02-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Most of you are placing the Excelsior on a high pedestal for its prowess in PVE...

How about in the real challenge, PVP? Excelsior Retrofit, compared to the Assault Cruiser Refit?

stardestroyer001, VA Explorers Fury | Retired STO Player
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More! | My Forum Gripes
PvP: PvP Boot Camp, the best newbie oriented training initiative in STO!
Captain
# 42
02-22-2013, 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardestroyer001 View Post
Most of you are placing the Excelsior on a high pedestal for its prowess in PVE...

How about in the real challenge, PVP? Excelsior Retrofit, compared to the Assault Cruiser Refit?
Excel will probably do better. Faster, more maneuverable (slightly in both, but it can make a difference), and as the fleet variants go, it's an even smaller difference, but excel still comes out on top since it can tank just a tiny bit better.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Starfleet Veteran
# 43
02-22-2013, 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Excel will probably do better. Faster, more maneuverable (slightly in both, but it can make a difference), and as the fleet variants go, it's an even smaller difference, but excel still comes out on top since it can tank just a tiny bit better.
It truely is a fantastic ship, I just wish there were a 2409 version....with an ens sci instead of the engineer.
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Captain
# 44
02-22-2013, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposeableh3r0 View Post
It truely is a fantastic ship, I just wish there were a 2409 version....with an ens sci instead of the engineer.
Still hate it. Sorry
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Starfleet Veteran
# 45
02-22-2013, 01:52 AM
Quote:
Still hate it. Sorry
Ah but is it because of how it performs or how it looks?
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Ensign
# 46
02-22-2013, 03:40 AM
Fleet Excelsior and Fleet Assault are the current proper cruisers choices to max your dps.

They are almost identical putting appearances aside.The differences are that one has 1 more engi slot and the other has one more tac slot instead, this is a choice of preferance.
The other is turn rate 8 for Ex and 7 for AssaultC while the latter has 50 more crew than the former.
All other stats are identical.Well i assume that everyone (almost) is going to use a sci boff at AssaultC's Lieut.universal.

Based on the above i believe that the Fleet AC should have something else a bit higher than Ex besides only just 50 more crew,for examble having more HP or Shields,to compensate for the higher Ex turn rate by one.

I just dont understand some of the stats that the devs are putting on in correlation with the ship size and class.How is it possible that the Fleet Ambassador has more HP than the Fleet AC or even the Fleet Starcruiser & the Fleet AC the same HP with Fleet Ex, or how is it that the Fleet Starcruiser doesnt have a LieutCom Sci but the Ambassador does (plus more tac slots).The Fleet Starcruiser should be the main Fed Support Cruiser.So it should be the one that had a sci LieutCom.

All the above are just random exambles and ofcourse a subjective point of my view.

I highly recommend the excelsior if you can put up the appearance,otherwise i prefer the visuals of the Fleet Assault Cr despite the less turn rate.
Commander
# 47
02-22-2013, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemchaidarion View Post
Fleet Excelsior and Fleet Assault are the current proper cruisers choices to max your dps.

They are almost identical putting appearances aside.The differences are that one has 1 more engi slot and the other has one more tac slot instead, this is a choice of preferance.
The other is turn rate 8 for Ex and 7 for AssaultC while the latter has 50 more crew than the former.
All other stats are identical.Well i assume that everyone (almost) is going to use a sci boff at AssaultC's Lieut.universal.

Based on the above i believe that the Fleet AC should have something else a bit higher than Ex besides only just 50 more crew,for examble having more HP or Shields,to compensate for the higher Ex turn rate by one.

I just dont understand some of the stats that the devs are putting on in correlation with the ship size and class.How is it possible that the Fleet Ambassador has more HP than the Fleet AC or even the Fleet Starcruiser & the Fleet AC the same HP with Fleet Ex, or how is it that the Fleet Starcruiser doesnt have a LieutCom Sci but the Ambassador does (plus more tac slots).The Fleet Starcruiser should be the main Fed Support Cruiser.So it should be the one that had a sci LieutCom.

All the above are just random exambles and ofcourse a subjective point of my view.

I highly recommend the excelsior if you can put up the appearance,otherwise i prefer the visuals of the Fleet Assault Cr despite the less turn rate.
Newer ships displace older ones, although the Excelsior is probably the only exception to this rule. It doesn't have to make a ton of sense, since it's the developers making this up as they go along.

I'll say this much for the Assault Cruiser Refit: like the Excelsior, it can run cannons because it has sufficient Tactical boff slots to run at least two cannon powers. While the Assault Cruiser Refit does not quite have the same level of manoeuvrability as the Excelsior, it is not that badly off: it gets more weapons power and can potentially out-perform the Excelsior as an Auxiliary transfer build.

I've recently been rather taken with the idea of using the universal for something other than a science officer. Just for fun, I've rebuilt my Assault Cruiser from a regular beam boat to something that can go all out and hit 221 m/s with Evasive+Emergency Engines+Aux to Dampener.
Commander
# 48
02-22-2013, 09:00 AM
I bought the VA Excelsior in the C-Store about a year ago. I ran exactly 1 mission with it. I found it to be utterly underwhelming. It has a LTC Tac slot, sure, but other than that there is nothing to distinguish herself from any other cruiser. She flies exactly the same as an assault cruiser, has the same weapon mounts as any other cruiser, console wise she's no different than the assault cruiser, and she has the same power distribution. She also has the famously touted useless ensign engineering slot. So I shelved her and went back to my AC at the time.

Then I bought the fleet version, higher hull, higher shields, another tac console...and just as underwhelming to fly. She's a boring ship, there is literally nothing special about her other than the LTC tac slot, the Transwarp and if you like 80's designs, she's the perfect ship for you.

Personally, I'll stick with the Regent, superior firepower, same turn rate (Don't fool yourself into thinking 1 turn rate is going to make any difference in broadsiders or with single cannon builds), and better power distribution bonuses.

[Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.

Last edited by daiouvegeta2; 02-22-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Captain
# 49
02-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposeableh3r0 View Post
Ah but is it because of how it performs or how it looks?
Both. The Imperial is the ship for me. That added Ensign Tac gives me a slight bump in DPS every 30 seconds with a THY1 or TS1. And if you put on the wide-angle quantum, you can broadside with impunity and THY/TS while doing it. Sufficed to say, with my Imperial using BAs and the wide-angle, I can pop an entire group of probes in KASE before they get any closer than 6.5k. It's quite nice what a BFAW combined with TS can do XD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiouvegeta2 View Post
I bought the VA Excelsior in the C-Store about a year ago. I ran exactly 1 mission with it. I found it to be utterly underwhelming. It has a LTC Tac slot, sure, but other than that there is nothing to distinguish herself from any other cruiser. She flies exactly the same as an assault cruiser, has the same weapon mounts as any other cruiser, console wise she's no different than the assault cruiser, and she has the same power distribution. She also has the famously touted useless ensign engineering slot. So I shelved her and went back to my AC at the time.

Then I bought the fleet version, higher hull, higher shields, another tac console...and just as underwhelming to fly. She's a boring ship, there is literally nothing special about her other than the LTC tac slot, the Transwarp and if you like 80's designs, she's the perfect ship for you.

Personally, I'll stick with the Regent, superior firepower, same turn rate (Don't fool yourself into thinking 1 turn rate is going to make any difference in broadsiders or with single cannon builds), and better power distribution bonuses.
Hit up 1st Aquarius and get yourself an Imperial. It has everything you know and love about the Regent, a "not as horrible as I thought it would be" skin, and a very nice 4th tac console. Also has more hull and shields XD.
Captain
# 50
02-22-2013, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Both. The Imperial is the ship for me. That added Ensign Tac gives me a slight bump in DPS every 30 seconds with a THY1 or TS1. And if you put on the wide-angle quantum, you can broadside with impunity and THY/TS while doing it. Sufficed to say, with my Imperial using BAs and the wide-angle, I can pop an entire group of probes in KASE before they get any closer than 6.5k. It's quite nice what a BFAW combined with TS can do XD.

Hit up 1st Aquarius and get yourself an Imperial. It has everything you know and love about the Regent, a "not as horrible as I thought it would be" skin, and a very nice 4th tac console. Also has more hull and shields XD.
So, I take it, you're only running one copy of Tactical Team? Isn't shield redistribution an issue in space PVP combat?

And what is "1st Aquarius"? Do they charge ECs for access to their fleet shipyards?

stardestroyer001, VA Explorers Fury | Retired STO Player
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More! | My Forum Gripes
PvP: PvP Boot Camp, the best newbie oriented training initiative in STO!