Starfleet Veteran
# 1 Nebula Cloud Question
02-10-2013, 02:08 AM
I'm trying to use blue nebula clouds to obscure a large portion of a space map, and it does work with a couple of them stacked up, but when the clouds stack up they get really bright to the point of making almost the entire screen white, especially with bloom fx enabled. Does anyone know a way to get nebula clouds to hide objects behind them while staying at a reasonable brightness and color?
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
02-10-2013, 02:15 AM
Use brown in there too, it should defuse the blue a little.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
02-10-2013, 02:12 PM
something to keep in mind as well, not everyone uses the same distance setting on their video card, so some objects will appear hidden from viwe because they havent been drawn yet for some people and not others.
Career Officer
# 4
02-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Nebula clouds are not so opaque as to hide objects. If you want to hide an object in a nebula, I'd suggest you layer a few nebulas, but then simply make the object you want to hide be hidden until the player enters the nebula (reach marker).

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
02-12-2013, 03:47 AM
Thx for the replies.

gammadelta2 - Tried some brown in there and it didn't really help

castsbugc - I am aware of the different system settings, and have been trying to make sure it works on different bloom and detail settings, but for anyone like me who runs at maximum distance settings I can't rely on a lower draw distance to do the work for me

nagorak - The trouble I'm having is that when layering the nebulae the game adds up the colors of all the clouds it can see until everything just becomes bright white. They do effectively hide the objects, but it's so bright that it looks terrible. And it only takes a few of the huge clouds to wash out most of the screen, especially with high bloom settings. I did try using a reach marker, but the objects pop in instantly and ruin the effect. If only there was a way to have objects fade in slowly when they are set to visible, or change the blending options of the nebula cloud textures so they don't add up to white

Last edited by mongooseform; 02-12-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
02-13-2013, 08:16 PM
My next suggestion is a magicians trick, the art of distraction. A solid pop up dialogue could both explain and keep their attention away from the suddenly appearing station behind them. Make it appear lower on the Y value too. This will make it appear behind the camera, unless the player has it rotated, but that is a risk.

This method, although requiring them to turn around, will make the station successfully 'appear out of nowhere' the dialogue could be two parts and this is just a suggestion.

The first when the player nearly enters the nebula explaining that your sensors are having difficulty penetrating the nebula clouds and that their range will be X distance.

The second, once the player passes the spawn point of the station, explains that engineering has found a way to enhance the range and that a new contract has been located. The station.

I've used this to hide a spawn, I don't want the player to see. It isn't perfect but we only have a limited number of tools.