Lt. Commander
# 1 "Find Fleet" mechanic
02-10-2013, 08:22 AM
The "Find Fleet" mechanic, in its current incarnation, is not very effective at doing what its name implies. As someone who's been looking for a very particular type of fleet, I've been continually frustrated by the tag system it uses. Fleets aren't honest with their tags; the majority of them simply select all of them to cast as wide a net as possible. Combine that with the fact that there is no way to exclude fleets of the opposing faction, and it becomes essentially useless as a search tool, particularly for KDF.

I'd really like to see it either:

A) Only display fleets belonging to your faction, or

B) Allow you to refine your search by faction (ideally, without using tags, otherwise fleets will simply tag themselves as both Federation and KDF)

It would also make sense to restrict the number of tags a fleet can select. I mean, if your fleet doesn't have race restrictions, does it really need to choose every race tag? Do fleets that never RP (but don't have rules against it) need the RP tag? Does anyone need the Fun Gamers tag (we all play this game to have fun, and consider ourselves fun)? Setting a limit on the number of active tags would, by and large, compel fleets to actually put some thought into how they sell themselves, and greatly improve the accuracy of search results.