Commander
# 1 Yet Another Borg Mission
02-10-2013, 08:01 PM
So, I'm working on a mission. It's been changed a bunch but it's still incredibly rough. The story is cheesy but the dialogue was even worse so I've turned the dialogue into more of a third person narrative for the time being.

The mission takes roughly 20 minutes. It isn't complete but it does finish, if that makes sense.

There are 3 space maps (one is used twice) and there is a short ground map.

The maps are pretty bland but I thought that working some of the kinks out first would be easier if it wasn't all cluttered with the nebula effects and other stuff that I need.

It is a noncombat mission in that there is no required combat but I'm slowly adding in optional stuff. I want it to make sense for the story (if the story ever turns into something a little less cheesy) so I'm adding it in slowly.

I want to use the Borg from early TNG (before Voyager got a hold of them). The problem is that I want people to run from the Borg like they are actually scary and not just flood the screen with a bunch of Borg spam. I want them to run from one Cube. Of course, unless I use them as an NPC Contact people can just pop them. Foundry limitations (like not being able to adjust enemy levels) really hold me back from what I'd like to do. But I also recognize that self imposed limitations (like wanting a single bad guy to be scary, or having it chase you) makes it unnecessarily complicated.

Now, I recognize that things have changed and I'm looking at ignoring canon but I'm ok with that. I'm really not looking for mass appeal with this mission. I just wanted to do something kind of fun that fit with the way I like thinking of the Borg. Of course, it might also help if space animations were working properly.

So I guess what I'm looking for is some advice on techniques I might use to achieve certain desired effects. I need people to run away (I use reach objectives). I need the Borg to look intimidating (but NPCs die to easily and the NPC appears as "ally" lol). I've found that timing explosion effects with triggers like reach objectives or interactions looks really odd if the player is moving (they are placed for slow moving/stationary ships, not the high powered engines you access live).

So yeah, that's kind of where I am. If someone is bored enough to run it I'd like to see if the main point comes across. And if not, what are some technical changes, if any, that might clear it up.

That's enough rambling for now. Thanks for your time.
Commander
# 2
02-13-2013, 05:49 PM
So one challenge I'm facing is making things like explosions happen to the player. It's easy enough to make an object explode but positioning for explosions near a player gets tricky. In the foundry you move so slow it didn't seem like such a problem. Faster engines complicate timing though if the player has disabled the auto stop during dialogue feature.

I was hoping to be able to use invisible objects as triggers but as far as I can tell you have to interact with them to activate whatever is supposed to happen.

Also, I have a contact (Nebula class) that is supposed to vanish on triggered event and be replaced with a nebula NPC/enemy group. I'm pretty sure I changed the first ships costume to nebula but it keeps spawning as a different ship.
Captain
# 3
02-13-2013, 08:51 PM
It sounds like you are on an ambitious project. Unfortunately I can't offer much more than wishes of luck for some of your issues. Explosions on, say, the players ship is one that seems like it should be easy to do but is not. At all. The best you can do is "coral" the player to be near where you expect them to be and set off the blast. If you could find a way to line them up properly, such as telling/forcing them to dock at a specific or crowded position in a collection of borg stations/debris but that is troublesome and unreliable for a multitude of reasons.

Using the interact as a trigger works so long as it is something that is gained out of combat. IE, a surprise attack while the player ship is scanning or the like. It would take creative story reworking.

For your spawning problem, that's because the ship groups scale "oddly" to phrase it well. It's not one target ever spawning but one from a group. This chart should help you figure out who you should need to re-skin for contact groups, if you just don't re-skin them all.
http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/tra...pcs/#more-9901
Commander
# 4
02-14-2013, 07:04 AM
My mission qualified for IOR this morning! I got to run it once, took about 25 minutes. I flagged it again and it still qualified (no red text) but when I completed it in about 23 minutes I didn't receive credit and the red text was back. I still only have 2 reviews so I'm not sure what happened there...

But anyway, thanks! Don't know how I messed that up but it has spawned the ship costume I wanted the past two times I played. I'm wondering how it'll work if there are multiple people playing through though. I guess there will be multiple ships which won't make as much sense but I'm not sure how to deal with that.

I know I can trigger events with a Reach Objective but moving really does complicate the timing. I use the interact trigger but I was hoping for more of an automatic trigger like the reach objective but without having to tell people every move to make. Like, suppose I wanted to create a side event that happens if someone goes a little too far left from the main objective path?

I've tried using invisible walls a little bit to control movement but those seem to act a bit weird in certain situations. Near the end I direct people into a group of large asteroids with a reach objective triggered event on the other side. I put up a wall to block them but I think the wall collided with one of the larger asteroids and so it kept placing the wall too high. The player just flew right under it. I had to move it out further than I wanted and the new problem is that when you hit a wall, you just start to glide across it. It still throws you out of position. >_<

My concern with relying too heavily on the invisible walls is that someone might end up on the other side somehow and then they won't be able to complete it.