Lt. Commander
Ive recently been back to the Foundry to see if anything in the last year has been improved, ive worked on a couple of foundry missions/episodes with a friend and what we have discovered is that things haven't really changed much, yes new assets have been introduced but why don't we have access to the entire STO library? Is it a matter of the devs not wanting the foundry community to create better missions and episodes?

Example; special triggers, such as space walking, friendly ship functions, interior, pass/fail objectives, class specific objectives, assets to the entire asset library that the developers have. (Access to what the game already currently, provides in assets, etc)
Captain
# 2
02-10-2013, 07:59 PM
I find one of the most frustrating things about the Foundry is how many little details are missing. For instance, you can dress a character in a TOS uniform, but they don't have the TOS badges, so you have to use the 2409 ones.

Vice Admiral Laurence Corrin - USS Trafalgar
Captain Takaram ch'Rihan - USS Khellian
Captain Korax joH'a' vo'poH - USS Hartnell
General Hothkar, Son of Ta'lon - IKS oDwI'
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diotw View Post
I find one of the most frustrating things about the Foundry is how many little details are missing. For instance, you can dress a character in a TOS uniform, but they don't have the TOS badges, so you have to use the 2409 ones.
Absolutely agree
Career Officer
# 4
02-11-2013, 01:01 AM
I am actually a foundry author and to tell the stories I want I find I just don't have the tools for an internal map. Everything leads more towards the exploration assets that people just don't want to see again. It is really suprising that Cryptic hasn't given the foundry more tools.

One of areas I would like to see is more players with inship interaction missions. The interiors need updated that is an area that is worse off. Next would come friendly ships and friendly NPCs. The DS9 FE has been out for ages and yet there isn't a total list of assets.

I have seen missions that recreate STFs for training so why is it we don't get proper assets?
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
02-11-2013, 08:54 AM
The unfortunate answer is, noone has been given the time and or resources to do this, there has always been 'something more important or better to devote resources to.'

It takes time to make things ready for the Foundry, apparently alot based on the number of 'hooks' that have to be attached to each item to be usable. The rough number we have is something on the order of 4 hours per item, with a possibility of longer lengths for certain objects.

Maybe, MAYBE one day, we will be deemed an asset enough to devote resources towards in any level that would get our catalog caught up...but I do not see this as something that will occur soon, even if the number of Cryptic employees have increased, because so far...noones doing this.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-12-2013, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castsbugc View Post
The unfortunate answer is, noone has been given the time and or resources to do this, there has always been 'something more important or better to devote resources to.'

It takes time to make things ready for the Foundry, apparently alot based on the number of 'hooks' that have to be attached to each item to be usable. The rough number we have is something on the order of 4 hours per item, with a possibility of longer lengths for certain objects.

Maybe, MAYBE one day, we will be deemed an asset enough to devote resources towards in any level that would get our catalog caught up...but I do not see this as something that will occur soon, even if the number of Cryptic employees have increased, because so far...noones doing this.
Cast, do you feel that it is a lack of voice towards that of the devs? Or do you see it has the devs being upped by that of of foundry people? We have seen better Episodes and Missions by that of Foundry Authors. If they aren't going to put the effort behind it, then why even have it? It seems pointless if they aren't going to put any work behind it or a good effort in doing so.

As someone who participated in many different modding groups from the SFC series to Legacy, i can say for certain that i suspect that it has more to do with CBS control, that will never be acknowledge by Cryptic and if they do, they will claim we are wrong. However, those that have modded in past titles know all to well that CBS is a force when it comes to the IP, even on freelance stuff such as Mods. I think the foundry was never suppose to be, why look at the lack of much of progress in regards to STO.
Rihannsu
# 7
02-12-2013, 01:44 AM
There are 4 major issues and it has nothing to so with CBS.

1) The team who designed the foundry (and know it inside out) are the team who are making neverwinter. That is their job and while that game is being developed that is their priority. once the game is out hopefully some of those guys can come back over to STO and we should see a little more progress.

2) Code branches. The different games are often working in different code branches which dont always sync up, so it is actually impossible to take the current version of the more advanced foundry and automatically match it up with STO until they match them up. Even when they do some features wont be completable and will need reworking.

3) Time. It takes one person 4 hours just to add one existing map. A simple map eats up half a day. While thats not to say that they wont add new stuff, as they do from time to time, the actual game development will always take priority as only a small percentage of people play the foundry compared to everyone who plays official content. i know that not what people like to hear but when you are a fairly small business making a fairly small MMO (compared to some others) you need to be as cost effective as you can.

4) Every major update to the foundry has resulted in some extensive problems with the foundry going off for weeks.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-12-2013, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
There are 4 major issues and it has nothing to so with CBS.

1) The team who designed the foundry (and know it inside out) are the team who are making neverwinter. That is their job and while that game is being developed that is their priority. once the game is out hopefully some of those guys can come back over to STO and we should see a little more progress.

2) Code branches. The different games are often working in different code branches which dont always sync up, so it is actually impossible to take the current version of the more advanced foundry and automatically match it up with STO until they match them up. Even when they do some features wont be completable and will need reworking.

3) Time. It takes one person 4 hours just to add one existing map. A simple map eats up half a day. While thats not to say that they wont add new stuff, as they do from time to time, the actual game development will always take priority as only a small percentage of people play the foundry compared to everyone who plays official content. i know that not what people like to hear but when you are a fairly small business making a fairly small MMO (compared to some others) you need to be as cost effective as you can.

4) Every major update to the foundry has resulted in some extensive problems with the foundry going off for weeks.
If we take your position as is, then it seems that those that have or are responsible for working on the foundry are not capable of dealing with such an over complex system. If making updates as you have suggest have the result of massive problems, it is apparent that Cryptic doesn't have the programmers that can handle such a complex system. Is that what you are implying? As for the rest, you seem to be making excuses and nothing substantial to imply otherwise. I look forward to you response.
Rihannsu
# 9
02-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoncal View Post
If we take your position as is, then it seems that those that have or are responsible for working on the foundry are not capable of dealing with such an over complex system. If making updates as you have suggest have the result of massive problems, it is apparent that Cryptic doesn't have the programmers that can handle such a complex system. Is that what you are implying? As for the rest, you seem to be making excuses and nothing substantial to imply otherwise. I look forward to you response.
Um.... I'm not sure how hard it would be to add, for example, a Tholian console. BUT, i do know that the Devs(understandably) see it as a lower priority than adding new stuff.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
02-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Oh it can be done, unfortunately I think in the end it comes down to the 'cold equation'

If you have to put your resources into projects as a whole, and only 15% (this is an entirely hypothetical number with no basis in known fact, but I fear it is the case) of users even delve into the foundry, its not a high priority to put warm bodies on giving us what it needs.

If STo had been built from the ground up like neverwinter with the foundry in it, it would probably be a different thing altogether...but alas