Community Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,657
# 11
02-12-2013, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoncal View Post
If we take your position as is, then it seems that those that have or are responsible for working on the foundry are not capable of dealing with such an over complex system. If making updates as you have suggest have the result of massive problems, it is apparent that Cryptic doesn't have the programmers that can handle such a complex system. Is that what you are implying? As for the rest, you seem to be making excuses and nothing substantial to imply otherwise. I look forward to you response.
Could you point to the MMORPG team that's developed a better system in the same timeframe on the same budget?
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 199
# 12
02-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Could you point to the MMORPG team that's developed a better system in the same timeframe on the same budget?
That has nothing to do with it, as you are trying to shift the discussion and that isnt going to work. I find it rather concerning that you would chime in being a moderator on the forums, in order to try and bait me. I know what iam talking about, ive been apart of some of the largest modding teams in Star Trek history, so this idea that we need to compare another MMORPG to what is the foundry. The fact remains that support is lacking, why? That is a good question, perhaps it is in part to NWN, but we also know that if what the person stated above is true, then what does that say about the Cryptic and the programmers behind the foundry? It seems as if the foundry for STO was nothing more than a test bed, nothing more, nothing less and i also hold the opinion that if they aren't going to support it, then shut it down and focus on the game itself. God knows it needs it, even with the larger team it currently has we haven't seen much of anything, other than fluff.

As for your overall question, yes no other system is available but it remains to be seen as being better system, apparently not as the programmers cant seem to maintain its coding structure to ensuring stability issues.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 43
# 13
02-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoncal View Post
As for your overall question, yes no other system is available but it remains to be seen as being better system, apparently not as the programmers cant seem to maintain its coding structure to ensuring stability issues.
IIRC, CoH had a mission creation system and EQ2 currently has some kind of UGC setup. I don't think any other current MMOs have it, though Wildstar, supposedly out this year, will.
Career Officer
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 45
# 14
02-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Could you point to the MMORPG team that's developed a better system in the same timeframe on the same budget?
Actually Cryptic has done this with 3 games. NWNO and Champions Online. Champions actually has a very good foundry system. STO of course seems to be behind the other 2. NWNO would of course get the best foundry system as Cryptic has the experience with it now. Although for Neverwinter its market of interest still has to compete with the first title that Bioware had put out. The Aurora toolset was able to create entire worlds, for its time it was the most powerful modding kit ever developed. The NWN1 community is still quite strong. This however is off topic.

Pointing out another MMORPG team that developed a better system is pointless. Seeing as we play STO that would be where the focus for the players of this forum would be. When Crpytic was owned by Atari the budget issue was a major problem. Under PWE that is not the case, seeing as they have been on a hiring spree.

The request by me at least is some TLC for the foundry assets and abilities. I don't think that is an unreasonable request.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 199
# 15
02-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by izdubar2 View Post
IIRC, CoH had a mission creation system and EQ2 currently has some kind of UGC setup. I don't think any other current MMOs have it, though Wildstar, supposedly out this year, will.
My understanding is that CoH is rather better in terms of what it is and what it can do vs. STO foundry. But it remains to be seen or to imply that it is a better system, to what? That no other foundry system exist? All the foundry is, is an official tool-set provided by Cryptic, if it was stand alone guarantee that it would be far better than what it is.
Community Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,657
# 16
02-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by izdubar2 View Post
IIRC, CoH had a mission creation system
...that Cryptic wrote. (Started on, anyway, before splitting half the team out into Paragon and the other half moving to California to form the current Cryptic.)

Quote:
though Wildstar, supposedly out this year, will.
...based on the code they bought from Cryptic.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Community Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,657
# 17
02-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoncal View Post
My understanding is that CoH is rather better in terms of what it is and what it can do vs. STO foundry.
So, you never used it then. I did. It wasn't.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 199
# 18
02-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestorm10491 View Post
Actually Cryptic has done this with 3 games. NWNO and Champions Online. Champions actually has a very good foundry system. STO of course seems to be behind the other 2. NWNO would of course get the best foundry system as Cryptic has the experience with it now. Although for Neverwinter its market of interest still has to compete with the first title that Bioware had put out. The Aurora toolset was able to create entire worlds, for its time it was the most powerful modding kit ever developed. The NWN1 community is still quite strong. This however is off topic.

Pointing out another MMORPG team that developed a better system is pointless. Seeing as we play STO that would be where the focus for the players of this forum would be. When Crpytic was owned by Atari the budget issue was a major problem. Under PWE that is not the case, seeing as they have been on a hiring spree.

The request by me at least is some TLC for the foundry assets and abilities. I don't think that is an unreasonable request.
Thank you for pointing that out, i completely forgot about those titles having a system of sorts, it might not be an foundry but it is something similar.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 199
# 19
02-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
So, you never used it then. I did. It wasn't.
Hmmm, and?
Community Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,657
# 20
02-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestorm10491 View Post
Actually Cryptic has done this with 3 games. NWNO and Champions Online. Champions actually has a very good foundry system.
Unless it got added since last night, they don't have the Foundry yet at all.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:33 PM.