Lt. Commander
# 21
02-12-2013, 12:46 PM
I imagine this whole situation is so that Cryptic can get you to pay for a "Foundry pack" which they can sell on the Z-store to unlock more library items. Like what "The Sims" do with their expansions and "stuff" packs. Its always about money with them. Champions isn't a franchise and Cryptic knows that people would pay to have the Vesta Class and other items in the Foundry.

That's why they are keeping items from us. As well as some of the more complex mission objectives such as "mission timers" etc.
Community Moderator
# 22
02-12-2013, 12:49 PM
I guess you can imagine plans that are in direct contradiction of things they've said over and over again, emphasizing words like "never", but it seems unrealistic to me.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
I guess you can imagine plans that are in direct contradiction of things they've said over and over again, emphasizing words like "never", but it seems unrealistic to me.
Because most of the players know by now that things said over and over again repeatedly are actually mostly not true. Like their intentions to "improve the KDF faction into a full faction"... one year later and there is no marginal improvement. Most of the people on here take what Cryptic say with a pinch of salt or expect a hefty price-tag to come with it.

and that's not me "trolling", that's the unfortunate truth. Believe me, one day I would really like to be surprised... I really would.

Last edited by warbird001; 02-12-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Rihannsu
# 24
02-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
Because most of the players know by now that things said over and over again repeatedly are actually mostly not true. Like their intentions to "improve the KDF faction into a full faction"... one year later and there is no marginal improvement. Most of the people on here take what Cryptic say with a pinch of salt or expect a hefty price-tag to come with it.

and that's not me "trolling", that's the unfortunate truth. Believe me, one day I would really like to be surprised... I really would.
There's a difference between a promise and a statement of intent....

A statement of intent really means "we want to do this but aren't sure if we actually will".
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Community Moderator
# 25
02-12-2013, 01:00 PM
Quote:
So, let me make sure I understand your position here.

1) They said they would never ever charge for access to the Foundry. Multiple devs, repeatedly, including recently.
2) They said they will improve the KDF into a full faction, but it will take time.
3) The KDF has been improving, slowly.
4) Therefore, they must be lying about the other thing.

Um, what?
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-12-2013, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
There's a difference between a promise and a statement of intent....

A statement of intent really means "we want to do this but aren't sure if we actually will".
Then that does beg the question, why say it in the first place to get people's hopes up. If there was not so much hype about things, people would be nearly as disappointed when the finished product fails to live up to advertising.

1) They may have said that but I think nobody here actually believes that.
2) They have been saying that for months, Season 8 rolled around... no real improvement.
3) The recent mission release "Temporal Ambassador" had no real Klingon standpoint, it was a cut/paste job. If Cryptic really wanted to "improve" the KDF, then they would have taken more care to create a story that Klingons could have more immersion with.

You should read Peregrine Falcon's History of the KDF in STO, provides a lot of interesting facts and a string of broken promises. Even a funny extract with Daniel Stahl seemingly loosing his patience with the Klingon fan base in a "stop picking on me" way which was hilarious to read.

Last edited by warbird001; 02-12-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Lieutenant
# 27
02-12-2013, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
...based on the code they bought from Cryptic.
Ugh, that's disheartening. I assumed they'd made their own tool that would at least be comparable to the Morrowind Editor (man that thing was a blast to mess around with!)
Rihannsu
# 28
02-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Then that does beg the question, why say it in the first place to get people's hopes up. If there was not so much hype about things, people would be nearly as disappointed when the finished product fails to live up to advertising.

1) They may have said that but I think nobody here actually believes that.
2) They have been saying that for months, Season 8 rolled around... no real improvement.
3) The recent mission release "Temporal Ambassador" had no real Klingon standpoint, it was a cut/paste job. If Cryptic really wanted to "improve" the KDF, then they would have taken more care to create a story that Klingons could have more immersion with.

You should read Peregrine Falcon's History of the KDF in STO, provides a lot of interesting facts and a string of broken promises. Even a funny extract with Daniel Stahl seemingly loosing his patience with the Klingon fan base in a "stop picking on me" way which was hilarious to read.
Most of the hype comes from the players.... They take anything the devs say and run with it to where ever their fantasies take them....

Peregrine is one of the worst offenders here.... his blog of "promises" is anything but....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Most of the hype comes from the players.... They take anything the devs say and run with it to where ever their fantasies take them....
Like I said in the above post, that article really shows just what Cryptic have "intended" and what they have actually delivered. After 3 years of placating, people have a right to be annoyed. They always have time to make lockboxes and new ships to sell but not actual mission content or story-driven stuff.

Like I said, I am waiting for Cryptic to one day actually surprise me. I hope that day will be this may... hopefully.

You cannot blame people for being pessimistic after all this time.

Last edited by warbird001; 02-12-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Community Moderator
# 30
02-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by izdubar2 View Post
Ugh, that's disheartening. I assumed they'd made their own tool that would at least be comparable to the Morrowind Editor (man that thing was a blast to mess around with!)
"Their own". You understand Cryptic wrote City of Heroes, right? There was no "their own" separate from Cryptic.

NCSoft later bought Cryptic out, taking the core team that was working on CoH and turning them into Paragon Studios. About half the original devs left with Jack to move Cryptic to California, to work on Marvel Online. Marvel Online was cancelled when Marvel realized it wouldn't do WoW-like subscription numbers, leaving Cryptic to scramble to strip all the IP out and turn it into Champions Online.

Around that time, they started on Star Trek Online, and as part of that work, they once again took their internal developer tools and produced a "hardened" version that didn't let you manipulate game-breaking things directly, producing the Foundry. Which, BTW, is still in Beta, even in STO.

The Architect was a similarly hardened version of Cryptic's internal tools, which have since been evolving and have been again hardened into the Foundry.