Empire Veteran
# 91
03-05-2013, 07:47 PM
My apoligies. I forgof the TOS episode, the Enterprise Incident where Kirk stoled the RSE advanced version of the cloaking technology they had developed decades after the Klingon - Romulan trade that gave the KDF thier cloaking technology.
Captain
# 92
03-05-2013, 08:37 PM
I think they should make the cloaking device something you can buy for all factions at the Romulan rep store

except in 1 ship it is mostly useless - that being the B'Rel

Most Feds complaining about the clock are just basing their experience off of what happens in Ker'rat

In 9/10 PvP matches against Fed players - KDF players come at them uncloaked

Not many KDF players use the cloak in PvP - so I don't think most Fed players know how useless it is.

If they did some Fed vs KDF PvP they would see.

Ignore Ker'rat - it's just a silly zone.
Captain
# 93
03-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bwild1 View Post
Not many KDF players use the cloak in PvP - so I don't think most Fed players know how useless it is.

It's only useless if you know it's coming.

But yes, Ker'rat is not a good indicator of instanced PvP.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Rihannsu
# 94
03-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trwarbuck View Post
Let's see I wasn't meaning to start a whole bloody thing about whiny Feds or anything like that. But, since everyone is doing all this...Let's go back in to cannon history.
You want to play this game?

Quote:
Kirk steals the Cloaking Device from the Romulans. This was actually done prior to the Klingons obtaining the cloaking device during the third technology trade with the Romulans.
Correct, but lets go about what you FAIL to mention that the only Federation ships with cloaking devices we seen were the Defiant that used a borrowed Romulan Cloaking device and the Galaxy-X that come from a alternative time.

Also there the Pegasus that shown how the Federation had FAILED to create a functional cloaking device.

Quote:
...Trades...
Not relevant.

Quote:
There has also been several published books that said the Federation did develop the cloaking device prior to the Klingons obtaining it. The Federation is known to have used the Cloaking device during "Special Operation" missions. This technology was also applied to buildings that the Federation used to observe lesser advanced civilizations.
It was stated that when Kirk turned the device over to the Federation Admiralty they tried to install it into another testbed ship, but the device failed to operate.
Now you bring the Pegasus ...

The rest is irrelevant as well, novels are non-canon and so are videogames.

Insurrection is a different ballgame, it certainly flies in the Treaty of Algeron and there are other issues with it being a actual cloaking device.

Quote:
The Old-style Romulan Cloaking device isn't an individual operating device on its own. .... The fact that a treat was written with the Romulans that the Federation wouldn't use the device is just the writers reason not to use the device on Federation starships.
No, the reason they dont is because they are scientists and do go sneaking around.

Simply put, they put a moral high ground over any potential tactical advantage, they dont use cloaking devices because it means they would be sneaking around being not exactly different that TOS Klingons or Romulans.

Quote:
Cloaking Device used by Federation starships. The biggest example is the starship that was used by 7of9's parents while they was observing the Borg. They used a cloaking device to accomplish this. At no time did they mention where they got the device from, but it would be assumed that the device was an integrated part of the starship's design.
No, they didnt ...

The USS Revan used a multi-adaptive shielding to avoid being detected by the Borg (that dont go look out the window to see if there is something following them).

Here is the page:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Multi-adaptive_shield

So far the only two ships with a cloak have been the Defiant and that come from Romulans put it there and the Galaxy-X from a alternative future timeline.

STO made clear the Treaty of Algeron is in effect, the only exclusions are the Galaxy-X and the Defiant ... you want a cloaking device, buy one of them.

End of discussion.
Captain
# 95
03-05-2013, 11:34 PM
If G-X got cloak for free, nothing would change. The ship is still subpar in current STO.
Empire Veteran
# 96
03-06-2013, 12:22 AM
Federation cloaking device? ha ha ha
*tickling myself* ha ha ha ha ha!
How to really behave in online forums with developers

Empire Veteran
# 97
03-06-2013, 01:01 AM
bu]9- hfn-fjivxnsjotrp[sbjief90ufg mpwsergbkwsebnk df]bnwrhdijo[bwRhifg

Join the KDF.

/thread
I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
Captain
# 98
03-06-2013, 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bwild1 View Post
I think they should make the cloaking device something you can buy for all factions at the Romulan rep store

except in 1 ship it is mostly useless - that being the B'Rel

Most Feds complaining about the clock are just basing their experience off of what happens in Ker'rat

In 9/10 PvP matches against Fed players - KDF players come at them uncloaked

If they did some Fed vs KDF PvP they would see.

In instanced PvP while flying BoPs or Raptors, I generally cloak, move toward enemy, attack in coordination with others, and just stay uncloaked. Only time I re-cloak regularly is if I'm against a not-so-good team. Most of the time, trying to get away to re-cloak is a waste of time, and you'll probably get chased anyways. Not worth the risk.

Ker'rat is where the cloaking devices thrive, and only when Fed players don't know enough to keep an eye out and keep using sensor scans and whatnot.
Ensign
# 99
03-06-2013, 04:43 AM
Keep the cloaking devices for the Klingons, but it would be nice if they'd take the console away and just make cloaking an innate ability for the Gal-X and Defiant Retrofit. They did the same thing with the Excelsior's transwarp drive.

On a different note it would be cool if we got a ship with a phasing cloak console some time, that's an actual canon cloaking device that the Federation developed. A short-term cloak with the phasing invulnerability that the Kar'fi has, basically.
Captain
# 100
03-06-2013, 05:09 AM
I dont know if it has been mentioned - but the Enterprise eps of the mirror universe the enterprise has a stolen cloak which they use to sneak into the Tholin base holding the TOS era Connie - Defiant.

One of the best episodes of ENT and what the STO anniversary FE was based on.

Still the cloak is not as useful as Fed players think it is.

Outside of Ker rat - you will barely see it in use.
Closed Thread