Captain
# 101
03-06-2013, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
STO made clear the Treaty of Algeron is in effect, the only exclusions are the Galaxy-X and the Defiant ... you want a cloaking device, buy one of them.
Cite your source.
Rihannsu
# 102
03-06-2013, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
Cite your source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The path to 2409 volume 16, chapter 2.
After the revelation that Starfleet was testing a cloaking device, tensions between the Federation, Romulans and Klingons were at their highest point since the destruction of the Romulan homeworld in 2387. After a full inquiry, six members of Starfleet Security were court-martialed.

It took three months for Federation President Aennik Okeg to convince the Romulans and the Klingons to send representatives to a summit to discuss the situation. When the meeting finally began, Okeg made the Federation's position clear. He apologized for the experiments into cloaking technology, and said that he had signed an executive order banning all research into or creation of Federation cloaking technology.

"The narrow legal view may be that the Treaty of Algeron ended when Romulus was destroyed," Okeg said. "The Romulan Star Empire we knew is gone, and you are a new people. What has not changed is the Federation's commitment to peace."
Source, scroll down to volume 16.
Captain
# 103
03-06-2013, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Source, scroll down to volume 16.
Thank you.
Captain
# 104
03-06-2013, 06:31 AM
I find the cloak useful, in khitomer and cure you can ambush spawns.
Just park up your defiant or gal x, cloak and wait for the spawns, when they get into range hit your tac abilities, cloak and give them the surprise of their life as you fire as you decloak, which incidentally boosts the damage you inflict.
Captain
# 105
03-06-2013, 07:29 AM
I think we should be thankful for the short term Cloak from the Romulan tier 5 active power.
Commander
# 106
03-06-2013, 11:45 AM
Quote:
You want to play this game?

The rest is irrelevant as well, novels are non-canon and so are videogames.

The USS Revan used a multi-adaptive shielding to avoid being detected by the Borg (that dont go look out the window to see if there is something following them).

End of discussion.

I wonder what startrek online is hmmmmm. Videogame? naaaaa couldn't be

Second its raven revan was a sith lord from starwars lol

Last edited by astro2244; 03-06-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Captain
# 107
03-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven2378 View Post
I find the cloak useful, in khitomer and cure you can ambush spawns.
Just park up your defiant or gal x, cloak and wait for the spawns, when they get into range hit your tac abilities, cloak and give them the surprise of their life as you fire as you decloak, which incidentally boosts the damage you inflict.
They're mindless NPCs, you can't 'surprise' them. 'Surprise' only works in PvP.

Also, that attack boost is about 5 seconds long. Useful for the initial alphastrike, but not much more than that. I don't bother cloaking in PvE unless I'm trying to shake off some aggro.
Lt. Commander
# 108
03-07-2013, 03:53 PM
Honestly I don't care about the cloak one way or another. I don't really PVP so for me it is just a wasted console slot something more effective/better could be slotted there.

As to the Federation, it's pretty clear the Federation in this game has taken on a more military type role. Overally it's pretty stupid on their part to be worried about what the Romulans/Klingons care about if they have a cloaking device or are able to get their ships to cloak. Both factions would just be pissy because they no longer have that edge in battle/surprise. From a strategic/tactical standpoint, the Feds are a bunch of idiots for not having their own cloaking technology.

I am strictly speaking from a strategic standpoint, I understand the canon of the game and ST in general, just saying it's incredibly stupid for the Feds to auto-gimp themselves by honoring the treaty in the first place and even now that the planet has been destroyed.

Another curious thought at this point now is why haven't the Borg learned to cloak their ships? You would think after all this assimilated tech they would know how to do that. Imagine a fleet of cloaked Cubes...but I guess that would be the end of STO as we know it.
Empire Veteran
# 109
03-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashuk2381 View Post
Another curious thought at this point now is why haven't the Borg learned to cloak their ships? You would think after all this assimilated tech they would know how to do that. Imagine a fleet of cloaked Cubes...but I guess that would be the end of STO as we know it.
The question isn't whether or not they can. It's whether or not it'd be an efficient use of their resources to do so.

The Borg probably wouldn't try and cloak their giant Cubes not because they couldn't, but because, why bother? It's still a Borg Cube, and putting aside the game for the moment, that's still a very powerful ship in it's own right.

Lt. Commander
# 110
03-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Dunno why everyone wants a freaking cloaking device.

A) The only cloak thats really worth a crap is the BoP's battle cloak. Which is exclusively for those ships and they sacrifice quite a bit for having it.

B) There are many far better and beneficial consoles to use in that slot over a cloak that you can only use when out of Red Alert. And if your cloaking a lot, then your not doing much work.
Closed Thread