Commander
# 161
03-27-2013, 11:13 AM
The thing is, the strategic consequences of the cloaking device are vastly overrated by its proponents. It's just not that useful. Moreover, the Federation already has extensive experience operating without one.

The political consequences of beginning to use them (regardless of the technical feasibility) outweigh the very minor strategic consequences.
Empire Veteran
# 162
03-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Its the price of being the noble good guys. Star Fleet does not use cloaking except in special cases
Roy Hatch (stryker) soldier, friend, and good man.
1945-2014
RIP
Career Officer
# 163
03-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishkin View Post
The thing is, the strategic consequences of the cloaking device are vastly overrated by its proponents. It's just not that useful. Moreover, the Federation already has extensive experience operating without one.

The political consequences of beginning to use them (regardless of the technical feasibility) outweigh the very minor strategic consequences.
What political consequences?
Who's going to object? The Star Empire? They're already at war with everyone. New Romulus? They have no qualms about selling all their other tech to the most proficient bunny chasers of Starfleet and the KDF, would cloaking really matter to them?
Commander
# 164
03-27-2013, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizwei View Post
What political consequences?
Who's going to object? The Star Empire? They're already at war with everyone. New Romulus? They have no qualms about selling all their other tech to the most proficient bunny chasers of Starfleet and the KDF, would cloaking really matter to them?
Member races of the Federation.

The Ferengi.

Any other nonaligned races.
Career Officer
# 165
03-27-2013, 01:40 PM
We already know that the Federation is using cloaking devices in two alternate futures.

All Good Things and Endgame and in Endgame we see that even shuttles are equipped with this kind of technology.

Even if you don't allow the cloak to be used on other ships make it a build in ability again for both the Defiant and the Galaxy-X.

Last edited by bridgern; 03-27-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Career Officer
# 166
03-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Why doesn't the Federation have cloaks? Because Roddenberry didn't want them to. He felt that the good guys should not be skulking around invisibly.
Captain
# 167
03-27-2013, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraithshadow13 View Post
It's not a KDF concept, it's how it worked in the shows..... And to be honest I have no problem with the KDF having a Bad ass version of the cloaking device, i just think it should work like it does in canon. Like i said earlier, I'd be all for the KDF getting the advanced battle cloak as a starting version and getting a better cloak for their higher levels, in fact think they should as well as the romulans, I'd even be okay with a bigger debuff for Feds after being hit when cloaked, i just think it should work like it did in the show.
When it comes down to it, the TV series canon is more like a set of. . .guidelines, rather than actual rules.

When I say 'KDF concept', I mean 'it was originally an exclusive to the KDF faction in STO, until it was peddled off to greedy Federation players'. A prominent example of this is the carrier class. Other examples feature universal consoles that were 'traded', usually for access to less-useful Federation consoles.
Captain
# 168
03-27-2013, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermbot View Post
You want the story answer or the game mechanics answer? Not sure, allrighty, I'll give you both.

From a story standpoint, it is irresponsible, immoral and unethical to allow the KDF and RSE to hold a tactical advantage that will cost the Federation lives in both their wars with those powers and in their dealings with larger threats. The treaties and alliances that served as a counter point to this, giving the Federation reason to abstain from that research, are no longer compelling because they are legally dubious in the case of the Khitomer Accords or non-existent, in the case of an alliance with the Klingon Empire.

From a game mechanics standpoint. People want to be able to experience all the positives the game has to offer without having to put up with the negatives. For some players a positive is a battle cloaking ship and a negative are the abrasive whiners that seem to fill the ranks of the KDF. For other players a positive is a five forward firing glass cannon with five consoles, and a negative would be the abrasive whiners that seem to fill the ranks of the Federation.
I wouldn't say the KDF has 'abrasive whiners'. More like 'overzealous enthusiasts' who don't like seeing the KDF left in the dust. The KDF faction actually has reasons to complain, and as long as those reasons remain, the 'whining' will continue. There's nothing else we can friggin do.

The Federation has the greedy pigs/whiners. The faction has been getting a new ship every 2 months or so, and all they can do is 'suggest' that they be given more firepower and whatnot. Just look at the whining about cruisers. Instead of playing the faction that has the cruiser type they actually want, they instead want to throw even more factional imbalance into the system by buffing their cruisers.
Captain
# 169
03-27-2013, 11:53 PM
The hostility of certain Klingon players does nothing to help their cause and makes it very difficult to take their issues seriously. Star Trek has always been about the future of humanity. Other races were defined by how they interacted with humans, be they allies or enemies, they were supporting cast, never the main stars of the show and no amount of flaming rhetoric is going to change that fact.
That said, different factions have different strengths and different weaknesses, that is the way it has always been and that is the way it should remain. The Federation does not need to have every item of technology that another faction has any more than that faction needs to have everything that the Federation has, it isn't necessary and it diminishes the game wherever it is allowed.
Career Officer
# 170
03-28-2013, 12:08 AM
I'm adopting a wait and see attitude for what the big drop in May brings us. Though I doubt it will be what the OP was wanting.
Closed Thread