Empire Veteran
# 1 I wonder if...
02-28-2013, 08:33 AM
...anyone has ever done an analysis to see how much total difference gear makes, assuming everything else is held equal.

For example, given the same ship, Boffs, Doffs and build, what is the impact of all Mk XII purple / set gear versus, say Mk XI white gear? How much extra DPS, turn mode, etc is involved?

Furthermore, it would be interesting to see if, say, offense is helped more than defence or vis-versa.

(I got to thinking about this after MT posted a picture where his inventory has more good gear than all my toons put together have )
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Career Officer
# 2
02-28-2013, 08:44 AM
I've never seen this (and I'd like to) but I'm generally of the opinion that it's the skill of the pilot/team that dictates the outcome.

I say generally because there's certain gear items that give you tangible benefits and I'm not talking necessarily about weapons (since DPS is DPS).

Procs are useful to have but completely out of the control of the player - you can increase your chances of proccing but never guarantee it.

So in my mind, the most important gear is stuff like the Borg/Zero-Point/Tachyokinetic Consoles, set-bonuses like the 2/3-piece Borg or 2-piece Omega. Tangible survivability bonuses like those awarded by the MACO or Elite shields - basically, if you run this stuff it will harden you up, and will get you more damage.

All of which is irrelevant if you don't have a Tac Team slotted

Stuff like Mk XII purple weapons and consoles is just the icing on the cake - it may get you that kill half-a-second quicker (or give you half-a-second longer to react to an attack) but it's not essential.

It is nice though

*Edit* One caveat regarding weapons though (an obvious one but still) - [Acc] makes a huge difference if you don't have it - if you're not specced into targeting, if none of your weapons have accuracy and you don't have the trait you're going to miss - a lot.

From my own experience, 6 (or even 9) points in targeting plus the Accurate trait and [Acc]x2 is the sweet spot and what I'd always work towards on my Captains/ships - I've gone [Acc]x3 and not seen any noticeable improvements and I've dropped to [Acc]x1 and seen my weapons missing stuff - but that's just me - YMMV
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012

Last edited by weylandjuarez; 02-28-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 3
02-28-2013, 08:55 AM
I'm just saying I'd like to see someone test to get hard numbers by taking their uber setup and replacing all their gear with basic stuff (including consoles.)

I suspect the results might be surprising...
Career Officer
# 4
02-28-2013, 08:59 AM
I agree - it'd be fascinating to see
Career Officer
# 5
02-28-2013, 09:01 AM
I don't have hard data, but I think the level of the gear is not that important. Just look at how nobody in the PVP community ever complained about the balance implications of random Mk XII shield tech prototype drops - it simply doesn't make enough of a difference to be upset if you have only Mk XI.
http://hilbertguide.com
Career Officer
# 6
02-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
I don't have hard data, but I think the level of the gear is not that important. Just look at how nobody in the PVP community ever complained about the balance implications of random Mk XII shield tech prototype drops - it simply doesn't make enough of a difference to be upset if you have only Mk XI.
True, partly down to the fact the the key enhancements of something like the MACO shield (10% energy damage resist/set bonuses) is identical across Mk X to Mk XII.

Although I think naevius' point was to compare a 'white' Mk XII build with an optimal 'purple' Mk XII build.
Captain
# 7
02-28-2013, 09:14 AM
Shield are generally where there's the biggest gap in quality and makes the most difference.

There's very little difference between quality of tactical consoles.

In and of themselves, the quality of engines make very little difference. However sets that give the Borg heal proc and the tetryon glider proc give you quite an advantage over someone without.
Previously Alendiak
Daizen - Lvl 52 Engineer - Eclipse
Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
Empire Veteran
# 8
02-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
But what if your shields were Mk XI white stuff?

That's what I'm getting at - how much creeping has the power creep really done?