Lt. Commander
# 141
02-16-2013, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castsbugc View Post
Considering it comes from Voyager I can forgive him not knowing something. Look, not every single person is going to be programmed with the minutia of every single dreadful and not episode ever made in the series or the dreadful and not books that exist as well. I will tell you this, based on what I have been seeing for a while, I dont know that this community represents the ideals of star trek, let alone can be expected to make choices that best influence the overall perceptions of the game.
Then ultimately, are they the best person qualified to make those decisions? Because if somebody does not know about the subject matter, then are they really qualified to judge a players intentions?

My answer is no... because there are people out there more qualified to make that call in the actual player base.
Commander
# 142
02-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
Then ultimately, are they the best person qualified to make those decisions? Because if somebody does not know about the subject matter, then are they really qualified to judge a players intentions?

My answer is no... because there are people out there more qualified to make that call in the actual player base.
I say yes, the missions Brandon chooses may not always be absolutely correct in canon, but given that Star Trek Canon has holes big enough for two Odyssey class ships to fly through sideways and end to end anyway before the STO writers or the Foundry authors get involved, the absolute rigidity you seem to place on canon shouldn't be a requirement for being spotlighted anyway.

Brandon does however choose missions that are well made, well written and stick to the ideals of the faction they're written for.
Lt. Commander
# 143
02-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedarky View Post
I say yes, the missions Brandon chooses may not always be absolutely correct in canon, but given that Star Trek Canon has holes big enough for two Odyssey class ships to fly through sideways and end to end anyway before the STO writers or the Foundry authors get involved, the absolute rigidity you seem to place on canon shouldn't be a requirement for being spotlighted anyway.

Brandon does however choose missions that are well made, well written and stick to the ideals of the faction they're written for.
What constitutes well written or well made? My point is that everyone has different opinions... there are people that would consider Battleship Royal Rumble a good mission so why is his opinion more valid then anyone elses?
Career Officer
# 144
02-16-2013, 10:55 AM
You don't need to get a spotlight for people to play your missions. Mine are buried somewhere under a huge pile and I'm still getting 2 or 3 reviews a day.

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Rihannsu
# 145
02-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Quote:

Um.... you picked one of the most obscure bits of trivia in the history of Star Trek. I mean really.... it was seen in Azati prime for a matter of seconds..... I wouldn't have know if I hadn't read the memory alpha article.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Rihannsu
# 146
02-16-2013, 10:58 AM
Well written: it has a story that is interesting and makes sense.

well made: it doesn't have an obviously horrible level design.

Granted spotlights are more than just that, but you get the idea.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
# 147
02-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Quote:
What constitutes well written or well made? My point is that everyone has different opinions... there are people that would consider Battleship Royal Rumble a good mission so why is his opinion more valid then anyone elses?
The fact that Brandon is a paid employee of Cryptic/PWE, paid to design events and stuff like the Foundry spotlight which means that the Spotlight is his baby, he pushed to get it officially recognised in game beyond the bulletin, he sets the rules, and he has the absolute final decision on what makes the mission worthy of being a spotlight mission.

You know, the usual responsibilities that come with such power as to choose the spotlight missions.
Career Officer
# 148
02-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedarky View Post
The fact that Brandon is a paid employee of Cryptic/PWE, paid to design events and stuff like the Foundry spotlight which means that the Spotlight is his baby, he pushed to get it officially recognised in game beyond the bulletin, he sets the rules, and he has the absolute final decision on what makes the mission worthy of being a spotlight mission.

You know, the usual responsibilities that come with such power as to choose the spotlight missions.
Um, they were spotlighting Foundry missions back when Stormshade was the STO CM. It's not something Brandon came up with out of the blue per se.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Lt. Commander
# 149
02-16-2013, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
Um, they were spotlighting Foundry missions back when Stormshade was the STO CM. It's not something Brandon came up with out of the blue per se.
I agree and I feel that its not needed because its promoting "elitism" to the Foundry and we have enough of that in PvP. Plus, everyone has different opinions about missions so why is it needed, especially if Cryptic are trying to rope you into playing it because they offer "MORE" rewards then standard Foundry missions.

So what is the point? Its a system full of individual bias and it really cannot be said otherwise.

The obscure bits are usually the best and most interesting parts, it what sets apart a true hardcore Star Trek fan from a normal casual fan.
Commander
# 150
02-16-2013, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
Maybe so, but the Foundry Spotlight under Stormshade was just a way of bringing good missions too light. It's only under Brandon that the Spotlight has gained the extra rewards and recognition with a special page in the Foundry menu for them.