Survivor of Romulus
# 41
02-11-2013, 04:07 PM
It's worth noting that BranFlakes said on Foundry Roundtable last week that he doesn't really look at star rating or even number of plays. He looks at what the reviews say, then he plays the mission himself to see if it's something he wants to spotlight.

I would also say this. If there is an "inner circle" of authors, and I'd hesitate to call us that, it's because there are authors who have taken the time to try and be a part of the community, to post in the forums, engage in discussions with their fellow authors, to help other authors when they ask questions, to create podcasts or machinima, to listen and interact with said podcasters or video creators, to engage the devs in constructive discussion, tweet back and forth with BranFlakes, meet the devs at conventions, to put out good missions and actively market those missions. Anyone can do these things, if they put in the time to do them.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forums are like Sanctuary Districts, complete with Gimmes, Ghosts and Dims.
Career Officer
# 42
02-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
Cream may rise but say somebody creates a Foundry mission and has a 500 strong Fleet, that's 500 instantly favorable reviews and more likely to get noticed by Cryptic. People will smaller groups of friends don't really get a look in.
I very much doubt the 'popular' missions are getting there because of massive fleets and friend lists. I have a mission spotlighted myself, and I don't have a group of friends to rate and publicize my missions. My fleetmates probably don't even realize my mission exists. I just publicized my mission on the forums and on StarbaseUGC (which anyone can join and post on). Now, there's definitely more competition these days, but I wanted to share how at least one spotlighted mission actually got there.

As for cliques, what do people think these are, exactly? Are people hesitant to publicize on websites because they're not part of their 'communities'? Resources like StarbaseUGC are there for everyone, not just a select few. Take some time to email your mission to some groups that review them. It's easy to say someone else's mission got popular because they had a bunch of people lined up already. But it's not that hard to at least get a mission a good look in a bunch of places.
Lt. Commander
# 43
02-11-2013, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
From what I've seen, Brandon seems to mostly pick Foundry missions that some podcast somewhere has reviewed first.

I also think that his 'Foundry Challenge' winners should be on a separate 'Foundry Challenge' tab in the Foundry, as I'm sorry, but I don't think getting the most votes automatically equals "incredible player made mission". The Foundry Challenge Winner's missions do deserve to be singled out and promoted (make no mistake); but I think there should be a delineation between 'voted best by a majority in a 6 weeks to create content'; and a spotlighted mission that's been recognized as excellent regardless of any defined parameters and a time limit.

I also think it would be good if other Devs/Members of Cryptic (who are interested) had a chance to spotlight player missions as well from time to time, as having only one person make the final determination all the time means we only get one point of view as to what constitutes "an incredible player made mission".
I agree, the "Foundry Challenge" shouldn't come into it because Cryptic is setting the criteria as to what players should create a mission about. I think that the "Spotlights" should go to the most inventive outside of the "Foundry Challenges" and the winners should be awarded separately.

Isn't it the job of these "review sites" to actually go out and look for good content instead of us having to promote our own missions to them? People should not have to be part of any "community" they should just make great missions for the sake of making them?

Last edited by warbird001; 02-11-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 44
02-11-2013, 04:34 PM
I have produced a biweekly podcast in association with StarbaseUGC for over a year now. It is made completely using the Foundry to animate it. It is a podcast designed to interest authors, both veterans and newbies alike. We release tutorials for new authors and are in the StarbaseUGC chatroom 24/7 to help anyone that has a question pertaining to the Foundry. The podcast is called PrimetimeUGC.

At the end of every show, we post the email address(mailbag@PrimetimeUGC.com) for anyone who would like their mission reviewed and/or would like to be interviewed. We have chosen many authors for interviews specifically because we had not heard of them and we have reviewed their work. To this day, I have had no one send in so much as a request for a review. We(SBUGC) are a community of authors whose goal is to help as many people as we can who want to create mission content. We urge people to come in and join us.

That being said, our only goal is to support the Foundry and User Generated Content. Not one of us receives any special recognition or compensation for doing so. We just love the game.

If anyone has something they'd like reviewed, send an email to mailbag@PrimetimeUGC.com. In the meantime, check the show out. If you love the Foundry, you should find it entertaining and educational, we hope. Thanks.
Career Officer
# 45
02-11-2013, 05:40 PM
The only suggestion I would make is maybe instead of just one mission per week spotlighted, there should instead be both a Klingon and a Federation mission spotlighted.

As far as the missions on the spotlight being ones reviewed by podcasts, etc, I don't think it's a conspiracy. A really good mission where the author has put a lot of time into it will probably tend to attract more attention.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Rihannsu
# 46
02-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Cream may rise but say somebody creates a Foundry mission and has a 500 strong Fleet, that's 500 instantly favorable reviews and more likely to get noticed by Cryptic. People will smaller groups of friends don't really get a look in.
Bran doesn't spotlight missions unless he's played them first. They only get spotlighted if he thinks they're worthy of it.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Rihannsu
# 47
02-11-2013, 08:12 PM
All this speak about Canon this and Canon that. If Citters cared he would be a regular member of the forum with a Yellow title.
Captain
# 48
02-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
I also think that his 'Foundry Challenge' winners should be on a separate 'Foundry Challenge' tab in the Foundry, as I'm sorry, but I don't think getting the most votes automatically equals "incredible player made mission". The Foundry Challenge Winner's missions do deserve to be singled out and promoted (make no mistake); but I think there should be a delineation between 'voted best by a majority in a 6 weeks to create content'; and a spotlighted mission that's been recognized as excellent regardless of any defined parameters and a time limit.

I also think it would be good if other Devs/Members of Cryptic (who are interested) had a chance to spotlight player missions as well from time to time, as having only one person make the final determination all the time means we only get one point of view as to what constitutes "an incredible player made mission".
I agree with this post. There could be a Foundry challenge section and a "staff picks" section
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Captain
# 49
02-11-2013, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
It's worth noting that BranFlakes said on Foundry Roundtable last week that he doesn't really look at star rating or even number of plays. He looks at what the reviews say, then he plays the mission himself to see if it's something he wants to spotlight.

I would also say this. If there is an "inner circle" of authors, and I'd hesitate to call us that, it's because there are authors who have taken the time to try and be a part of the community, to post in the forums, engage in discussions with their fellow authors, to help other authors when they ask questions, to create podcasts or machinima, to listen and interact with said podcasters or video creators, to engage the devs in constructive discussion, tweet back and forth with BranFlakes, meet the devs at conventions, to put out good missions and actively market those missions. Anyone can do these things, if they put in the time to do them.
This is one cool thing about the foundry all the authors are generous about giving advice. You can find all kinds of help on this forum and all despite the fact that it can be hard to get the recognition your missions deserve.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Captain
# 50
02-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post

Isn't it the job of these "review sites" to actually go out and look for good content instead of us having to promote our own missions to them?
Contrary to opinions shown, creative cream doesn't rise. Popular doesn't always mean good nor does unpopular always mean bad. But no one will know either way unless you tell them about this thing you made.

Self promotion is 90% of any creative job and you may not get out of it what you put in to it. But you will at least get something as opposed to your current nothing.

And since all of the decent missions are buried under quickie grind vendor trash missions you're demanding to be that diamond found in the **** pile. Not likely to happen even if reviewers put the effort in to go through the Foundry mission by mission like some lunatic with no life.