Lt. Commander
# 61
02-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by izdubar2 View Post
In Cryptic's defense..

1) jjtrek, cursed be that man, ruined part of their initial storyline plans
2) STO had a way too short development time (2-3 years, iirc)

Though I believe their featured episodes and remasters make up for their initial rushed offerings.
Oh yeah, now they are hitting their stride, some of the content, albiet slowly is of much better quality. Temporal Ambassador was a great mission although a little too short for my taste, I would have preferred something that was not such a blatant copy of "Yesterday's Enterprise" but I've learnt that imagination is somewhat limited because Cryptic don't have that much development time to create new content. That is why the Foundry exists...

I'm not game designer but I have an exceptional knowledge of Star Trek and enjoy writing. I honestly could not do very well at level design.

I just wish they had chosen a more interesting back-story because the "War with the Klingons" has been done to death. Plus it just seems like the Federation is at war with everyone.
Career Officer
# 62
02-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyrexianhero View Post
I wanted to get some numerical data on the Foundry spotlight winners and saw that of the 34 spotlighted missions so far, there's only been 3 duplicate authors (for each of them to have 2 episodes: Captain_Revo, drkfrontiers, and soriedem). Considering half the spotlight episodes are KDF, note that those 3 authors have 5 of their 6 spotlight missions for KDF -- which I'm confident has fewer episodes in general to pick from and thus a high quality mission has an easier chance of standing out.

So that's 34 episodes for 31 people. I think BranFlakes has been more than fair in getting a wide range of different authors.

So my congratulations to Aavarius, AdmiralMurphy, Alen_de_jour, Alimac30, Bazag, Capt.PFDennis, Captain_Revo, Castomodean, CheRoj, Darren_Kitlor, DenizenVI, drkfrontiers, Drogyn1701, Duke-of-Rock, Evil70th, Galactrix, Havraha, HippieJohn, Kirkfat, Maziken, Meth_Shadowstorm, milesredria, mygod_itsfullofstars, Netherblood, RachelGarrett, RogueEnterprise, Seancy8512, soriedem, Tiuz, woghd, and XR-377 for being spotlighted and best of luck to those who wish to get spotlighted in the future.
Sorry, I have to disagree in that given the sheer amount of Foundry missions out there - to have 3 authors spotlighted twice in 34 missions spoytlighted to date (IE approximately 10%) shows that Brandon isn't going to far a field to find his 'spotlights'. I don't believe there's a conspiracy per se; but mayhaps Brandon goes to the same authors missions a LOT.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says: "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Rihannsu
# 63
02-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Have you played the rest of their missions? they're decidedly not bad....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lt. Commander
# 64
02-12-2013, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
Sorry, I have to disagree in that given the sheer amount of Foundry missions out there - to have 3 authors spotlighted twice in 34 missions spoytlighted to date (IE approximately 10%) shows that Brandon isn't going to far a field to find his 'spotlights'. I don't believe there's a conspiracy per se; but mayhaps Brandon goes to the same authors missions a LOT.
Thats exactly what I was getting at, are you telling me that for those weeks, that was the only quality missions on the foundry... there was nothing else that could possibly come close? I simply do not believe that...
Career Officer
# 65
02-12-2013, 12:37 PM
Original Poster might want to have a look at the Foundry EULA, regarding his missions.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=209216

Nothing more to say.
Career Officer
# 66
02-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
Thats exactly what I was getting at, are you telling me that for those weeks, that was the only quality missions on the foundry... there was nothing else that could possibly come close? I simply do not believe that...
Perhaps during those weeks, those other quality missions weren't brought to Branflakes' attention. It sounds to me like you are expecting Branflakes to play through every possible Foundry mission over a week period to determine that absolute best mission. If a great quality mission isn't suggested to Branflakes or isn't getting any promotion / PR; then I doubt it will be even looked at.

Authors have to remember that they NEED to promote their missions, they NEED to get information about their missions into the public eye. Just as a movie needs to have teasers, trailers, posters, commercials, and all other kinds of marketing ploys; so do Foundry authors for their missions. Maybe not trailers (though they do help), but certainly creating a post in the Missions Database on these forums and possibly even a post on StarbaseUGC.

Last edited by maziken; 02-12-2013 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Grammar
Starfleet Veteran
# 67
02-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Considering one of the biggest sources of his 'pool' to pull from have been players that have played some of these missions, that bias is going to show a little because if one player has a good mission, its a inclination to play more of them. With that said, when I got my spotlight and brandon asked me for a klink suggestion, I went hunting, and thats how I discovered Dead Men Tell No Tales...and it was amazing. I had not played anything by that author before and I thought it deserved to get recognition, apparently I was not the only one and I hope that others enjoyed it as much as I did.

So really what should be asked is "how can we help Brandon find more of those 'OMG you have to play this' missions", and not have to make him hunt through page after page of suggestions.
Lt. Commander
# 68
02-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon View Post
Original Poster might want to have a look at the Foundry EULA, regarding his missions.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=209216

Nothing more to say.
The ones submitted to Cryptic do not breach EULA. The rest of for the benefit of other people who enjoy seeing Star Trek characters or a different timeline other then the one that Cryptic presents as fact.

Besides I'm not making profit from it or submitting them to review by Cryptic so why the hell should I care. CBS can go to..., Star Trek belonged to the fans long before it was on a piece of paper. I come from Second Life Star Trek roleplay, same principles.

As long as you don't make profit from it, its not in violation. There are so many fan organisations and sites out there that its impossible for CBS to try and shut down them all. You cannot own an ideal.

Last edited by warbird001; 02-12-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Career Officer
# 69
02-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Quote:
The ones submitted to Cryptic do not breach EULA. The rest of for the benefit of other people who enjoy seeing Star Trek characters or a different timeline other then the one that Cryptic presents as fact.
EULA applies to all missions, not just ones submitted for spotlight.
Career Officer
# 70
02-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Quote:
So you admit that the rest do.

Quote:
As long as you don't make profit from it, its not in violation.
That is an incorrect statement.