Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
[smartass] That's three words... [/smartass]
I'll just leave this here as my inspiration lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45XJzT9G93Y
Starfleet Veteran
# 32
02-13-2013, 07:36 AM
Q is tougher than whoever john thingie is and chuck norris put together. He is also cooler than whoever they are (I only have a vague impression of who CN is)

Proof that we ALL being MINDCONTROLLED!!! (Possibly 1984 style) Click here to find out more!
Captain
# 33
02-13-2013, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrona View Post
When I hear the name Steven Seagal, I come to think of Erika Eleniak, Cake and horrible acting for some reasons.
Well...ya but the question was to their onscreen performances and tho SS is a really bad actor he's also the Mike Tyson of martial arts movies- he fights REALLY dirty.

Tell me you wouldn't have some of that Erika Eleniak cake.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Contact support @ https://support.perfectworld.com/app/ask
to show your displeasure over the stealth mail attachment nerf
Lieutenant
# 34
02-13-2013, 07:52 AM
Some of you are confused. The OP did not ask who could fight better. It asked who was tougher. There is a difference.

John Wayne simply personified a time when a man was a ... well, a man. They didn't try to get in touch with their inner feelings. They didn't whine about how tough things were. A man simply took life day to day. They took care of themselves, and didn't expect handouts. They took care of those around them, even when it was hard. They shook hands, and stood by their word, instead of finding all of the small reasons that they could come up with to get them out of their commitments.
Of course he was an actor, and of course those were roles he played. However, he picked his roles carefully. In real life, he was pretty tough all the same. He played his last role, an old shootist dying of cancer, while he was dying of cancer.

I bet if you asked Chuck Norris who was tougher, he would say John Wayne. Chuck, Clint, and even to an extent Steven Sigal's on screen personae are based off of a John Wayne type attitude.

For the record, this is of course my opinion. Not saying others are wrong, and not taking this too serious...lol. But hey, The Duke was The Duke, an icon that all other tough guys are measured up to!
AND I guess also, John Wayne reminds me of my grandfather, who was also a tough old cowboy that could weather anything, until he too died of cancer at 92. Men, society just don't make them anymore.

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. " - I personally live by those words as well, and they stuck with me since I was a kid....which was a looong time ago.

God bless! Yes, I meant God.
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

"Maybe space is not the final frontier," - Luke Minhere
Captain
# 35
02-13-2013, 08:50 AM
This pretty much sums it up @3:34 in the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgpZ0fUixs
Commander
# 36
02-13-2013, 09:15 AM
What unit did John Wayne serve in?

Oh yeah, he was toughing it out as 3-A while the real tough guys of Hollywood went to war...

Putting tough up on a pedestal from being able to take a punch or adversity in stride, even though admirable, still does not make the better measure of a man or of his virtues, imo.

In terms of fighting, winning is everything and it pays to be a winner. Graveyards are full of those who failed to place.

As for society, used to say that the guys of today are not packing their weight but am always reminded by examples of young up and comers who do more than their share, without hesitation... Men such as Staff Sgt. Clinton Romesha, amongst many others who go unnamed for their service, dedication to duty and self-sacrifice. They are the living proof to suggest otherwise and they are out there.

P.S.

Cancer took out two of some of the toughest guys I know as well, my grandfather and father.

"When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way.

Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home."

- Tecumseh
"Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
Captain
# 37
02-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Some good John Wayne moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaPA8fGeRUc
Lieutenant
# 38
02-13-2013, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by user839020189287 View Post
What unit did John Wayne serve in?
Oh yeah, he was toughing it out as 3-A while the real tough guys of Hollywood went to war...
Some people look at what is written, but do not read it. Instead, choose to read into it.
"John Wayne simply personified a time when a man was a ... well, a man."

per?son?i?fy
1. To think of or represent, as having personality or the qualities of, thoughts, or movements of a living being
2. Represent, as of a character on stage

I would say I was right on that one.

Quote:
In terms of fighting, winning is everything and it pays to be a winner. Graveyards are full of those who failed to place
Wrong. As a police officer I would not mow down a mother and child to take out the criminal that is aiming at me. I have friends who died protecting and serving their community, and believe me, they are more manly dead than some "men" that live today. I would rather die knowing I did everything I could to protect someone, than live knowing I harmed someone innocent just to save my own hide. Maybe in a computer game, winning is everything, but in real life, how you lived is the measuring stick. I am not a young man anymore, and maybe I part of a dying breed, but I still think this is true.

Quote:
Putting tough up on a pedestal from being able to take a punch or adversity in stride, even though admirable, still does not make the better measure of a man or of his virtues, imo.
Agreed. But look at the OP, and you will see why the discussion is what it is.

Sorry to hear about your grandfather and father. I am sure you share some of their same strengths.

I will end with:
Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway. -John Wayne
or
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
(NO...this is not directed at anyone, just a funny quote I have always liked)
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

"Maybe space is not the final frontier," - Luke Minhere
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-13-2013, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkwing43 View Post
Ok Based on the parts they played as an actor, who in your mind is the tougher guy?

Is it:

A. John Wayne

or

B Chuck Norris

Vote now!
Chuck Norris

http://www.comicssherpa.com/site/fea..._date=20130129
Captain
# 40
02-13-2013, 01:06 PM
Life is tough but it's tougher when you're stupid. ~John Wayne

What was the question again?