Commander
# 41
02-13-2013, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeminherexx View Post
Some people look at what is written, but do not read it. Instead, choose to read into it.
"John Wayne simply personified a time when a man was a ... well, a man."
Still stand by the fact he stayed home when most men shipped out. Citing being a family man don't count in my books. Lots of guys with wives and children went and some of them even made it home.

John Wayne regretted not serving the rest of his life. That was a time when guys who were NOT classified 1-A went and killed themselves out of shame. There was some special features in HBO's Band of Brothers that talks about those who killed themselves. The yardstick was, if you didn't enlist and go, well... there was a huge stigma is how I leave that.

Quote:
Wrong. As a police officer I would not mow down a mother and child to take out the criminal that is aiming at me. I have friends who died protecting and serving their community, and believe me, they are more manly dead than some "men" that live today. I would rather die knowing I did everything I could to protect someone, than live knowing I harmed someone innocent just to save my own hide. Maybe in a computer game, winning is everything, but in real life, how you lived is the measuring stick. I am not a young man anymore, and maybe I part of a dying breed, but I still think this is true.
I know some cops. Dad was 30+ plus years. Sister had 15. They would more than agree with you.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

So I went into the military instead and that was what I was referring to about "winning is everything" and for was how I was addressing Marion. He never wore any uniform except the ones of an actor.

I just play computer games when I got down time but am still door kicking. Both can be considered more a younger man's thing to do... still got a few good years left.

Even though cops are not war fighters, y'all have a tough job to do and I can respect that.

Quote:
Agreed. But look at the OP, and you will see why the discussion is what it is.
*cough*

Roger that.

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your grandfather and father. I am sure you share some of their same strengths.
Likewise, am sure you do the same so take it easy and good chatting!
"Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8

Last edited by user839020189287; 02-13-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 42
02-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Bruce Lee.

1. John Wayne was scared of Horses
2. John Wayne's legal first name was Marion
3. Chuck Norris couldn't hold a candle to Bruce Lee's martial arts. Even had his chest hair ripped off.

Heir to the high pony of holier than thou, Guardian of the Sacred Mallet of Thwarting, and giver of Baptismal raspberries since 02/02/2010
Captain
# 43
02-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpcapulet View Post
Bruce Lee.

1. John Wayne was scared of Horses
2. John Wayne's legal first name was Marion
3. Chuck Norris couldn't hold a candle to Bruce Lee's martial arts. Even had his chest hair ripped off.
Don't agree with number 2..

Did not know number 1

Bruce Lee is master of the Universe.