Commander
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 471
May I ask Cryptic why KDF ships still get their cloaking devices as a built in ability and the Fed ships with them must sacrifice a console slot for them? Effectively gives every cloaking KDF ship an extra console.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,292
# 2
02-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerkorhil View Post
May I ask Cryptic why KDF ships still get their cloaking devices as a built in ability and the Fed ships with them must sacrifice a console slot for them? Effectively gives every cloaking KDF ship an extra console.
Because cloaking was native to the KDF and the RSE in the series.

Cloaks - mostly seen in the defiant were an add-on
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 869
# 3
02-12-2013, 10:31 AM
This simply is not true. If you notice, KDF ships tend to be slightly under powered compared to their Federation counterpart stat-wise, like having slightly less hull or a slightly lower shield modifier to make up for the innate ability to cloak.

The reason that KDF has the innate ability to cloak is because, in canon, all KDF ships had that ability (so it would make no sense to remove it) whereas equipping a federation ship with a cloaking device was both unusual and supposed to be temporary.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 993
# 4
02-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Because it's one of the few special advantages the KDF has left, and not honestly that big a deal. I don't have it on my Defiant and don't miss it. I use it on KDF because it's there, but it really only gives you a quick boost to damage right when you decloak. The rest of the time it's wasted and makes no difference. Battle cloak is handy, but is generally restricted to the Bird of Preys which have their own severe weaknesses to make up for it. Only exception is the Pegh'qu which is like a Raptor with Battle Cloak, but it's a rare ship, and doesn't exactly move like a BoP.

Comparing two otherwise identical ships, like the Chimera to the Pegh'qu, the Odyssey to the Bortasqu', or the Ambassador to the Kamarag, yes the cloak clearly makes the KDF version slightly better. Having a built-in cloak is never a bad thing. Those are the rare case of otherwise identical ships existing in both factions. And really, in the case of the Kamarag and the Bortasqu', the ability to load dual cannons is more important.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 437
# 5
02-12-2013, 10:37 AM
even so I say they switch it back to an innate power.

I am not a fed player, but I think its only fair.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 869
# 6
02-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinru821 View Post
even so I say they switch it back to an innate power.

I am not a fed player, but I think its only fair.
If they switch it back to an innate power, they have to take a console slot away because that is how the ship was originally. The two ships gained a console slot in exchange for making the cloaking device a console. For instance, a Defiant that could cloak and keep its extra console slot would be significantly over powered compared to a T-5 raptor.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 437
# 7
02-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalspock View Post
If they switch it back to an innate power, they have to take a console slot away because that is how the ship was originally. The two ships gained a console slot in exchange for making the cloaking device a console. For instance, a Defiant that could cloak and keep its extra console slot would be significantly over powered compared to a T-5 raptor.
well from the mouth of logical spock how can I disagree.

Then leave it! I did not realize they added a console slot
Commander
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 471
# 8
02-12-2013, 11:02 AM
I say revert the change. So what if the Defiant only has 9 consoles? Following logic the fleet version would still have 10 and get the cloak, everyone should be in fleet ships or better by now anyway.
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,475
# 9
02-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerkorhil View Post
I say revert the change. So what if the Defiant only has 9 consoles? Following logic the fleet version would still have 10 and get the cloak, everyone should be in fleet ships or better by now anyway.
I must have missed the part where Cryptic was giving out T4 and T5 shipyards as candy...
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 437
# 10
02-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
I must have missed the part where Cryptic was giving out T4 and T5 shipyards as candy...
me too, Hey cryptic I need a T5 ship plz and no I won't be paying a fleet millions for one.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:08 PM.