Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
# 41
02-13-2013, 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
No stipend. Pony up your hundreds of bucks and get just as screwed by the equivalent of their dilith market as everyone else.

Basically, a lifetime sub without the benefits of a sub (unless I'm grossly misreading things).
Cryptic is in business to make money. In their past business model, the game would have sold at $60 for pre-order or in retails stores. And there would have been a $200+ lifetime subscription that could also be pre-ordered.

But Neverwinter will neither cost anything to obtain (it will be a free download) and there will be no subscription fee, and therefore no lifetime purchase. So that leaves two pre-launch price-point items that if you are a dumb business you just eliminate from consideration, or if you are a smart business you repurpose them.

That is what the Neverwinter Founders' Packs are. The repurposing of two sources of pre-launch revenue. It gets you a guaranteed three of five days access to open beta before anyone else, a ton of Astral Diamonds (their equivilant of Dilithium), and NW will have an AD-Zen exchange as well, so some people will be able to make a LOT of Zen from their initial AD cache if they wish. Plust a whole bunch of fluff items. Many of the people who buy the packs are after early access. but a lot simply understand that there are no subscription fees to be charge so the only way NW will continue to be funded is purchasing stuff for it. Either way, nobody who has bought a founders' pack has done so for any other reason than it offers something they want that they are willing to spend $60 or $200 to get.

Nobody has held a gun to their head and made them spend a dime. So no. Cryptic is not selling LTSs or any form of subscription by any other name. They are selling bundles of virtual products at the same two pre-launch pricepoints that other games have had.

It's just good business.

There are no subscriptions. There are no initial costs to play NW. It will be Microtransaction driven from the ground up. And we will get to see what Western game development can do with the Eastern business model. Many scream and moan about how we don't want that sort of model, but I lean towards the thought that the masses will prove that statement incorrect, and the so-called asian business model will be just as successful in the west as it has been in the east. Why? Because no matter where they are from, people are people.
I personally want a Star Trek game that is actually Star Trek. On a qualitative level that could be a lot of different things for a lot of different people. But on a quantitative level, if the developers were to watch star trek and make the game like what they see, then at least it will be a shot in the right direction, as far as I am concerned.
Empire Veteran
# 42
02-13-2013, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalnar83 View Post
Is it the same Jack Emmert that once said that microtransactions makes him want to die ? he looks pretty healthy to me
He's been assimilated. "We are the Dollars, resistance is futile."

And there's no LTS or any other kind of subscription in NW, from what he said.
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Captain
# 43
02-13-2013, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsitsalot View Post
That is what the Neverwinter Founders' Packs are. The repurposing of two sources of pre-launch revenue.
It's interesting to think about STO's "starter pack's" in comparison .

- The "Federation Starter Pack" on the z-store is a bit of a joke (to an experience player) .
- The Enterprise and TOS bundles offer relative value (depending how much of a fan you are) .

- While the "Steam" bundle has been hailed as phenomenal value (especially at the 10$ price point) .

I would be interested to know how players see the relative worth of the NW bundles (to themselves and to the general public) ?

Quote:
It gets you a guaranteed three of five days access to open beta before anyone else, a ton of Astral Diamonds (their equivilant of Dilithium)
That bit also caught my eye , as I see that unlike STO where you can't buy Dil directly , in NW starter packs they do actually offer to sell you AD as part of the bundle .
Thoughts ?
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .
Captain
# 44
02-13-2013, 08:00 AM
As a fan of Dungeons and Dragons, and Neverwinter, and pen and paper RPGs, I've seen nothing offered by NWO that tempts to play the game, let alone spend 200 bucks on it.
Captain
# 45
02-13-2013, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
As a fan of Dungeons and Dragons, and Neverwinter, and pen and paper RPGs, I've seen nothing offered by NWO that tempts to play the game, let alone spend 200 bucks on it.
I agree. I'll likely download it and give it a try, but I'm not about to spend much if any money on it. Maybe $5 or so bucks every few months if I actually play it.
Community Moderator
# 46
02-13-2013, 08:21 AM
Moved this to Ten Forward, since it's a thinly-disguised Neverwinter thread with an STO headline.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Captain
# 47
02-13-2013, 08:30 AM
It seems like NW players can refine 24,000 Astral Diamonds per day so they are a third of the price of dilithium. So 750,000 Astral Diamonds is worth 250,000 Dilithium. The mount store seemed to have some level 60 mounts listed at about 2 million dilithium so refining that much dilithium would require about 3 months to do. Only thing STO has that will take that long to refine dilithium for is fleet projects.
Community Moderator
# 48
02-13-2013, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
It seems like NW players can refine 24,000 Astral Diamonds per day so they are a third of the price of dilithium. So 750,000 Astral Diamonds is worth 250,000 Dilithium. The mount store seemed to have some level 60 mounts listed at about 2 million dilithium so refining that much dilithium would require about 3 months to do. Only thing STO has that will take that long to refine dilithium for is fleet projects.
I don't think you can say they're a third the price just because you can refine three times as many, because:

1) They drop a lot more.
2) You use them for a lot more stuff.

They're the auction house currency, for instance.

I'm currently operating under the assumption they're going to be somewhere in the middle of the range STO has had; I've been using 95-150, with 125 when I need a single number. But yeah, I'm totally guessing at that.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Career Officer
# 49
02-13-2013, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Accounts. Of course, the vast majority are going to spend nearly nothing. If typical rules of thumb hold, it would imply that about 200k are spending significantly more than $15/month. That would be consistent with making more money than CoH at its peak.
2 million captains *could* mean 2 million unique accounts, or 2 million player characters. I would not assume the former since it is the nature of companies to try to inflate numbers to make them sound bigger than they really are (why get this 1 gigabyte/s download when this other service is *six* gigabits per second! oh wait, that's actually less).
Fleet holding costs | Accolade Points: 18020 (Fed Engineer), 16400 (KDF Tactical)
Subscribe to Accolade thread | Join channel Accolades | Idea: Mail Revamp
New on STOwiki: Spire projects | STO Timeline | Fed-KDF Disparity | upcoming content
Fed Fleet: Section 31 (level 20) | KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence (level 20)
Starfleet Veteran
# 50
02-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyrexianhero View Post
2 million captains *could* mean 2 million unique accounts, or 2 million player characters. I would not assume the former since it is the nature of companies to try to inflate numbers to make them sound bigger than they really are (why get this 1 gigabyte/s download when this other service is *six* gigabits per second! oh wait, that's actually less).
F2P helps this as well. Every account that ever been created in the entire 3 years has been counted as a "account in good standing" and this game launched with about 750K and went back real fast to 100K (a couple of months), per Jack as well.

I can almost guarantee that EVERY "Captain", even if you got them just out of the tutorial was counted as well. 2 mil looks to me like a very small number if you count that some people in this game have 18+ "captains". I have 6, I believe, and haven't logged in for months.

After having a LT in STO, i wouldn't touch Neverwinter with a 10' pole.

Last edited by esquire1980; 02-13-2013 at 10:19 AM.