Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-12-2013, 08:48 PM
i find that attack pattern omega works best out of any power or ability that i've used for escaping tractor beams.

as for using the tractor beam against the enemy, it can definitely be useful. if you have a tractor beam doff on active space duty, and some points in the skill that affects tractor beam, you can drain a decent amount of the enemies shield power. what you do from there depends on your career. i'm tactical in a DPScort, so my attack goes like this: i activate cannon rapid fire and torpedo high yield, along with attack pattern alpha, attack pattern omega, tactical team, and a weapons battery, then activate the tractor beam and open up with all the cannons. this will take down the shields, then i hit em with the torpedos and cutting beam. then hit cannon scatter volley, torpedo spread, tactical team, and open up with everything all at once. you should also throw in whatever team buffs and resistance debuffs that you have whenever they're available. this attack turns any ship in a story mission to dust in like 20 seconds or less. in elite stf's, i can take down a cube by myself in a few minutes. its all about taking down their shield as quick as possible, then pounding the hell out of their hull while you're at max dps with powers and abilities.
Fleet: Stargate-Union
Pizza: Pepperoni
Kalek shel'tek!

"Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu
Ensign
# 12
02-13-2013, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by radkip View Post
Jam Sensors seemed to work for me when the game launched, but I haven't slotted that ability since I got a commander level ship (and attack pattern omega), so I couldn't tell you if that still works.
I have this ability on one of my officers and it works like a charm. Though often I use the ability more because it's there than because I need to get out of the tractor beam with my cruiser.
Republic Veteran
# 13
02-13-2013, 01:29 AM
Other options are hitting Evasive Maneuvers and getting beyond 5km, or using any placate ability on the enemy. Against tractor spam, like that often seen in Starbase 24 and Mirror Incursion, Polarize Hull is the best solution.
Captain
# 14
02-13-2013, 02:09 AM
For me, the real problem with tractors is that they've been turned into unstoppable death rays, especially to shuttles. Tractor beams should not be doing damage. That's not their purpose.

As far as escaping them, Polarize Hull is the best universally available skill. With every race in the game spamming the damn things these days, it's basically a required skill for your science officer.
Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

Crafting, Exploration and Interaction as it should be:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1108521
Ensign
# 15
02-13-2013, 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelmarik View Post
For me, the real problem with tractors is that they've been turned into unstoppable death rays, especially to shuttles. Tractor beams should not be doing damage. That's not their purpose.

As far as escaping them, Polarize Hull is the best universally available skill. With every race in the game spamming the damn things these days, it's basically a required skill for your science officer.
Who says its not? if your engines are running they do damage. You want to go one way, the tractor keeps you in place, the hull stress damages your ship......
Captain
# 16
02-13-2013, 02:58 AM
Polarize hull and evasive manoeuvres is my counter to tractor beams, seems to work well enough in most cases.
Tion Sorahn - Federation Engineer
- - - - -
STB Channel Member
- - - - -
"Something everyone always forgets, all grind is optional"
Captain
# 17
02-13-2013, 09:59 AM
I run APO and Polarize hull.

I think Photonic Shockwave will knock a tractor beam off you as well (by disabling it at the source, rather than negating it on your end), but I'm not sure.
Captain
# 18
02-15-2013, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by waarder View Post
Who says its not? if your engines are running they do damage. You want to go one way, the tractor keeps you in place, the hull stress damages your ship......
It's not designed for that. There was only one time in all of Star Trek that a ship used a tractor beam in combat (the Defiant used it on a Vor'cha), and it did not do damage to the tractored ship, nor did it even STOP it. It only slowed the ship's manueverability.

In fact, the only time we've EVER seen a tractor beam do any damage was when the original Enterprise tractored Captain Christopher's 1960s fighter plane. The plane was too flimsy for the tractor.

Tractor beams are utility systems, NOT weapons.

Of course, it's made even worse by the endless spamming of the things. I swear, I'm so sick of being tractored, then tractored, then tractored again, then disabled, then webbed.... it's ceased to be fun to play, it's just a frustrating chore.
Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

Crafting, Exploration and Interaction as it should be:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1108521
Captain
# 19
02-15-2013, 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelmarik View Post
It's not designed for that. There was only one time in all of Star Trek that a ship used a tractor beam in combat (the Defiant used it on a Vor'cha), and it did not do damage to the tractored ship, nor did it even STOP it. It only slowed the ship's manueverability.

In fact, the only time we've EVER seen a tractor beam do any damage was when the original Enterprise tractored Captain Christopher's 1960s fighter plane. The plane was too flimsy for the tractor.
I think the Borg would disagree with you, considering how it was used in Best of Both Worlds.
Empire Veteran
# 20
02-15-2013, 04:41 AM
Barrel rolls - They'll save your life
Closed Thread